[comp.unix.microport] GCC on System V/AT 2.3.0-L

wtr@moss.ATT.COM (03/22/88)

After numerous attempts to get large programs to compile
with the stock 'cc' compiler, only to have them dump all
over the system, I am in the market for a replacement
C compiler.

I was wondering if anyone has managed to port the
Gnu C Compiler (GCC) over to microport 2.3?
I have not looked at the code, (nor have I
downloaded the source) and am just looking for success/
horror stories about the port.

If you think this merrits a long discussion, post it here,
otherwise, e-mail would be fine.

Thanx to all for pointing out the ulimit patch to the
kernal.  I should have read my release notes a little closer,
microport really had it buried in there ;-)  I'm now running
a 8 Mb ulimit system, with no problems (so far)

Bill Rankin
Bell Labs, Whippany NJ
(201) 386-4154 (cornet 232)

email address:		...![ ihnp4 ulysses cbosgd allegra ]!moss!wtr
			...![ ihnp4 cbosgd akgua watmath  ]!clyde!wtr

gnu@hoptoad.uucp (John Gilmore) (03/25/88)

wtr@moss.ATT.COM wrote:
> I was wondering if anyone has managed to port the
> Gnu C Compiler (GCC) over to microport 2.3?

There is basically no chance that GCC will run native on a 16-bit
machine.  It likes large, contiguous data structures, which Intel
machines hate.  At least once the Microsoft/AT&T/Interactive
application binary standard for 8086 is finalized and adopted (maybe a
few years from now, when nobody will care any more), you'll be able to
buy Microsoft's MSC for Xenix and run it on Microport's Unix.

However, on the gcc front, I heard that someone is doing a 386 port,
and it should be possible to use that on microport unix on a 386 box.
It should be easy to bring up (once the 386 code generator is released)
if either:

     *	your current compiler can handle gcc's source (sounds like
	microport's is unlikely to),

or   *	you have a real working Unix box, that gcc runs on, handy.
	You can cross-compile to 386 assembler source, move that
	to the 386 box, and assemble and link it there.  Then use that
	binary to recompile its own sources.  Once you've bootstrapped,
	you *have* a compiler that can handle gcc...

Watch comp.emacs, or get on the info-gcc mailing list by sending mail
to gnu@prep.ai.mit.edu, to find out when the 386 gcc comes out.
--
{pyramid,ptsfa,amdahl,sun,ihnp4}!hoptoad!gnu			  gnu@toad.com
		"Watch me change my world..." -- Liquid Theatre