[comp.unix.microport] GnuEmacs on SV/AT

wtr@moss.ATT.COM (03/26/88)

This is the next in the continuing requests on porting
information for SV/AT (2.3-L)

A friend of mine has GnuEmacs on his ATT-3B1.  He has offered to
download it to my machine.  Before I spent 5 hours of phone time,
could someone tell me if it's at all possible to get this code
running under microport?

---------

Regarding GCC on SV/AT:

All responses have have been negative, because of 16 bit limitation
and segments :-(.  Most common advice seems to be inquire into
Greenhill about their C compiler.  Is it out of Beta-testing yet?
What do you do to be a Beta-site (I do a fair amount of large system
compiling, graphics routines, etc... and would be grateful to
do extra testing on a decent compiler :-).  Please e-mail any
info you have on Greenhill availability.

---------

Last question: (gawd do i have a lot of them ! ;-)

Has anyone out there with a Sperry-IT gotten the ROM upgrade, and
did it make any difference in the performance of SV/AT? (ie: fewer
core dumps, etc...)?

Thanx for all the help!

Bill Rankin
Bell Labs, Whippany NJ
(201) 386-4154 (cornet 232)

email address:		...![ ihnp4 ulysses cbosgd allegra ]!moss!wtr
			...![ ihnp4 cbosgd akgua watmath  ]!clyde!wtr

wes@obie.UUCP (Barnacle Wes) (03/29/88)

In article <23842@clyde.ATT.COM>, wtr@moss.ATT.COM writes:
> Has anyone out there with a Sperry-IT gotten the ROM upgrade, and
> did it make any difference in the performance of SV/AT? (ie: fewer
> core dumps, etc...)?

What ROM upgrade?  And how does the ROM cause core dumps?  I was of
the opinion that V/AT does not use the BIOS for anything but loading
the boot block!
--
    /\              -  "Against Stupidity,  -    {backbones}!
   /\/\  .    /\    -  The Gods Themselves  -  utah-cs!utah-gr!