[comp.unix.microport] More microport puzzles

bae@ati.tis.llnl.gov (Hwa Jin Bae) (03/29/88)

More microport V/386 puzzles:

Excelan EXOS + DOSmerge + V/386 kernel:
	When going from init state 2 (multi user mode) to 3 (networking
	mode) virtual consoles gets disabled.  No longer can I
	switch between several unix screens on console.  Creating
	DOS session in the background does let you switch between
	multiple dos screens and one unix console screen but it's
	impossible to create a unix virtual screen.  I tried everything
	I can think of including changing the Excelan card memory
	location address.
	SYSV message queue facility is still not working.  Yes, I
	did turn on the ipc option when I built my new kernel - that's
	not the problem - I wish it was as simple as that.  Various
	msgop() calls just return 0 with no indication of error.
	Since 0 means success, my programs hang ... waiting for
	messages.  The system lies to you.  It doesn't do anything
	but return valid return code.
	BTW, I have the sendmail working with EXOS socket library.
	There are some really subtle points you need to know to get
	the thing working.  The suggestions that that EXOS sockets are
	4.1c BSD compatible are belivable but not quite true.  Take
	a look at exact sematics of each functions it's not exactly
	like anything you've seen - not 4.1c not 4.2 ( not 4.3).
UUCP:
	9600 never really works OK for large file transfer (~15 meg).
	Maximum safety speed seems to be 4800 with hayes modem.

Happy thoughts:
	Ksh and microEMACS compiled without a single problem.
	TCP/IP utilities that came with Excelan is of very high quality.
	I also like the board.  Except the socket library, I highly
	recommend Excelan EXOS 205 and the accompanying TCP/IP software
	for casual TCP/IP use - as opposed to development/porting.

Survey:
	Does anyone have NFS running on V/386?
	Does anyone have ISODE running on V/386?
	Does anyone have X server implementation on V/386 using EGA/CGA/HGA?
	Does anyone have EGA/CGA/HGA, or mouse device drivers for V/386?
	Does anyone have PC-NFS running on any PC's?

If you can say yes to any one of the above questions, I'd like to talk to you.
Please call me at (415) 463-6865 or drop me a line.
Hwa Jin Bae          | I only work for LLNL and CDC; they are not responsible
Control Data Corp.   | for my personal opinions.
4234 Hacienda Drive  | bae@{ati,aftac,vega}.tis.llnl.gov   (Internet)
Pleasanton, CA 94566 | {ames,ihnp4,lll-crg}!lll-tis!bae    (UUCP)

learn@igloo.UUCP (william vajk) (04/01/88)

In article <22089@tis.llnl.gov>, bae@ati.tis.llnl.gov (Hwa Jin Bae) writes:

> More microport V/386 puzzles:

> UUCP:
> 	9600 never really works OK for large file transfer (~15 meg).
> 	Maximum safety speed seems to be 4800 with hayes modem.

I don't know about ~15 meg transfers, but do know about > 5 megs at
9600 using a telebit. Contact karl@ddsw1 to get his autobaud getty
which has performed miracles for us at igloo, on the '286 version
no less.

Bill Vajk                                            learn@igloo