[comp.unix.microport] VGA with Microport?

zeeff@b-tech.UUCP (Jon Zeeff) (03/28/88)

Even though Microport said it does, it appears that uport '286 Unix does
not work with the IBM VGA adapter.

Does anyone have patches to make it work?

When does Microport plan on supporting this?

--Jon

--
Jon Zeeff           		Branch Technology,
uunet!umix!b-tech!zeeff  	zeeff%b-tech.uucp@umix.cc.umich.edu

hsu@santra.UUCP (Heikki Suonsivu) (03/30/88)

In article <4327@b-tech.UUCP> zeeff@b-tech.UUCP (Jon Zeeff) writes:
>Even though Microport said it does, it appears that uport '286 Unix does
>not work with the IBM VGA adapter.

Neither does it work on Olivetti M28 EGA, bios 2.12. When booting from
disks, screen flashes and the machine is hung. Older versions of
Olivetti M28 with Olivetti own display controller and older roms it
worked fine.

jmsully@uport.UUCP (John M. Sully) (04/01/88)

In article <4327@b-tech.UUCP> zeeff@b-tech.UUCP (Jon Zeeff) writes:
>Even though Microport said it does, it appears that uport '286 Unix does
>not work with the IBM VGA adapter.

We do not support VGA cards at the present time.  It may have been a mis-
understanding, since our console driver does work fine with the IBM EGA card
and V's and E's can sound alike on the phone.

>When does Microport plan on supporting this?

We do have plans to support the IBM VGA and register compatible cards.  I
do not have a date as to when this might be available.

misko@abhg.UUCP (William Miskovetz) (04/02/88)

In article <326@uport.UUCP>, jmsully@uport.UUCP (John M. Sully) writes:

> We do not support VGA cards at the present time.  It may have been a mis-
> understanding, since our console driver does work fine with the IBM EGA card
> and V's and E's can sound alike on the phone.

I'm sorry, but I have to differ here.  I have an AST Premium 286 running
System V/AT Rel. 2.3 and DOS Merge 286.  I installed an IBM (real big blue)
EGA card (replacing an MGA card) and I could not get UNIX to boot.  DOS
came up just fine.  I called the Microport support line and first they
tried to tell me I must not have an IBM EGA, and then they said that it must
not work.  What's the real answer??  Is it that an EGA will work but not
with DOS Merge (which is a rumor I have heard)?  Is there anyone out there
with a setup similar to mine who has an EGA working??  Thanks.  Note that the
EGA works just fine as I tested it running just DOS.

Bill Miskovetz
uunet!lll-winken!abhg!misko

zeeff@b-tech.UUCP (Jon Zeeff) (04/03/88)

In article <148@abhg.UUCP> misko@abhg.UUCP (William Miskovetz) writes:

>I'm sorry, but I have to differ here.  I have an AST Premium 286 running
>System V/AT Rel. 2.3 and DOS Merge 286.  I installed an IBM (real big blue)
>EGA card (replacing an MGA card) and I could not get UNIX to boot.  DOS

I run '386 merge with a Paradise autoswitch 480 EGA card and it works fine.
I did have to turn off the autoswitch stuff though.

--Jon

--
Jon Zeeff           		Branch Technology,
uunet!umix!b-tech!zeeff  	zeeff%b-tech.uucp@umix.cc.umich.edu

ET2@PSUVM.BITNET (Brad Erlwein) (04/04/88)

i too have been having probles with ega and uports system v 386.
i am running a zenith 386 with a zenith 449 ega/vga card.  the
only modes i have been able to run are TTL with a Zenith FTM
(analog monitor) and CGA with the same card switched to CGA
the cga monitor is an IBM EGA.
brad erlwein

wes@obie.UUCP (Barnacle Wes) (04/04/88)

In article <148@abhg.UUCP>, misko@abhg.UUCP (William Miskovetz) writes:
> I'm sorry, but I have to differ here.  I have an AST Premium 286 running
> System V/AT Rel. 2.3 and DOS Merge 286.  I installed an IBM (real big blue)
> EGA card (replacing an MGA card) and I could not get UNIX to boot.

A friend in California has an AST Premium 286, running 2.3.  She has
the EGA card that NEC sells, along with a NEC MultiSync.  She hasn't
had any problems yet.  Have you tried running the system at a slower
speed?  Perhaps the IBM card isn't up to the full (10/12 Mhz) clock
rate of the AST.  Heh heh heh.  Sorry, your problem isn't funny, but
IBM's are!
--

mike@cimcor.UUCP (Michael Grenier) (04/05/88)

From article <148@abhg.UUCP>, by misko@abhg.UUCP (William Miskovetz):
> In article <326@uport.UUCP>, jmsully@uport.UUCP (John M. Sully) writes:
>>
>> We do not support VGA cards at the present time.  It may have been a mis-
>> understanding, since our console driver does work fine with the IBM EGA card
>> and V's and E's can sound alike on the phone.
>
> I'm sorry, but I have to differ here.  I have an AST Premium 286 running

Microport Unix is somewhat particular about the EGA cards its using. They
have a list of recommended boards available in their release notes. I'm
running with uport version 2.3 and DosMerge with a clone EGA card on a
286 box which works great (though it didn't with the Paradise EGA
autoswitch I tried first).

I don't remember which boards work and which don't - sorry.

   -Michael Grenier
    ...bungia!cimcor!mike

rickers@drexel.UUCP (Rick Wargo) (04/06/88)

In article <148@abhg.UUCP>, misko@abhg.UUCP (William Miskovetz) writes:
> I'm sorry, but I have to differ here.  I have an AST Premium 286 running
> System V/AT Rel. 2.3 and DOS Merge 286.  I installed an IBM (real big blue)
> EGA card (replacing an MGA card) and I could not get UNIX to boot.  DOS
> came up just fine.  I called the Microport support line and first they
> tried to tell me I must not have an IBM EGA, and then they said that it must
> not work.  What's the real answer??  Is it that an EGA will work but not
> with DOS Merge (which is a rumor I have heard)?  Is there anyone out there
> with a setup similar to mine who has an EGA working??  Thanks.  Note that the
> EGA works just fine as I tested it running just DOS.
>
> Bill Miskovetz
> uunet!lll-winken!abhg!misko

A few months ago, I tried to install uPort 2.3L on an IBM AT with a
MultiSync EGA card and monitor and could not get the thing to boot
off of the boot disk.  I tried the same disk on my Compaq 386 with
Compaq EGA and it came up just fine.  uPort 2.2U used to work fine on
the same computer.  What gives???  A call into tech support didn't
give me an answer.  I ended up re-installing 2.2U...

							Rickers
							..!drexel!rickers

misko@abhg.UUCP (William Miskovetz) (04/07/88)

In article <118@obie.UUCP>, wes@obie.UUCP (Barnacle Wes) writes:
> A friend in California has an AST Premium 286, running 2.3.  She has
> the EGA card that NEC sells, along with a NEC MultiSync.  She hasn't
> had any problems yet.  Have you tried running the system at a slower
> speed?  Perhaps the IBM card isn't up to the full (10/12 Mhz) clock
> rate of the AST.

Thank you.  You are correct.  I am able to boot up the AST at 6 or 8 MHz and
the EGA works just fine, but booting at 10 MHz, causes problems.
I can switch to 10 after UNIX comes up.  I appreciate the information
and take back what I said about it not working.  All EGA's are not created
equal I guess.

Bill Miskovetz

pjh@mccc.UUCP (Peter J. Holsberg) (04/08/88)

In article <466@cimcor.UUCP> mike@cimcor.UUCP (Michael Grenier) writes:
== Microport Unix is somewhat particular about the EGA cards its using. They
== have a list of recommended boards available in their release notes. I'm
== running with uport version 2.3 and DosMerge with a clone EGA card on a
== 286 box which works great (though it didn't with the Paradise EGA
== autoswitch I tried first).
==
== I don't remember which boards work and which don't - sorry.
==

AAAARGHHHH!  Does anyone have that list?  Specifically, is the Video-7
Vega Deluxe on the OK List?
--
Peter Holsberg                  UUCP: {rutgers!}princeton!mccc!pjh
Technology Division             CompuServe: 70240,334