[comp.unix.microport] Emacs on Microport

ken@umbc3.UMD.EDU (Ken Spagnolo ) (04/06/88)

Does anyone have any recommendations on Emacs for Microport UNIX?
Specifically, has anyone gotten GNU Emacs up on one?  I'd really
like to know before I spend lots of time trying to do it myself only
to find out it runs like molasses or some such (not to mention
kermiting 9.6Mb of code!)  The main features I'm looking for are the
ability to compile C code AND parse error messages from inside Emacs.
Thanx gobs.

Ken Spagnolo
ken@umbc3.umd.edu or uunet!umbc3!ken or umbc3!ken@uunet.uu.net or something.

jmsully@uport.UUCP (John M. Sully) (04/06/88)

In article <933@umbc3.UMD.EDU> ken@umbc3.UMD.EDU (Ken Spagnolo ) writes:
>Does anyone have any recommendations on Emacs for Microport UNIX?
>Specifically, has anyone gotten GNU Emacs up on one?

GNU Emacs has been ported to the 386 version but the general feeling on
porting it to the 286 is that it won't fly, the 64K segment limit hurts
too much.

zeeff@b-tech.UUCP (Jon Zeeff) (04/07/88)

In article <933@umbc3.UMD.EDU> ken@umbc3.UMD.EDU (Ken Spagnolo ) writes:
>Does anyone have any recommendations on Emacs for Microport UNIX?
>Specifically, has anyone gotten GNU Emacs up on one?  I'd really

What would be really nice is if someone has it running (I'm assuming on the
'386) and would be willing to provide executables (and possibly source) on
floppy disk for some reasonable fee.  Anyone?

--Jon

--
Jon Zeeff           		Branch Technology,
uunet!umix!b-tech!zeeff  	zeeff%b-tech.uucp@umix.cc.umich.edu

hedrick@athos.rutgers.edu (Charles Hedrick) (04/09/88)

>Does anyone have any recommendations on Emacs for Microport UNIX?
>Specifically, has anyone gotten GNU Emacs up on one?

Jove can be configured to be fairly compatible with Gnu.  Of course it
doesn't have the fancier features, but for editing I don't notice any
differences.  It has similar built in help, command and file name
completion, etc.  So for people who really want Gnu, I'd recommend
looking into Jove.

However people considering running Emacs might want to know about
the following problems I've seen:

  - JOVE likes to put the time at the lower right of the screen.  If
	you use that, you'll drop input characters because of bugs
	in handling of signals.  I have a workaround for this, which
	was posted in my JOVE diffs.

  - JOVE occasionally suffers from problems with malloc.  Typically
	these trigger unnecessary swapping.  Apparently one of these
	problems has been fixed in a kernel PTF, and the other is
	fixed by using my version of malloc.

  - Recently I've started seeing hangs where ps shows the process
	in "X" state (expanding memory), with a WCHAN below 0x200.
	It looks like the memory manager has gotten confused about
	what it should be waiting for, and will wait forever.  The
	process can't be killed except by a reboot.  I have also
	seen this happen when starting vi.  This problem only appeared
	after I put up the new asynch driver and the clock priority
	changed posted to the Uport BBS.  I've just removed the
	latter.  I agree with the Uport consultant that I talked to
	about this that neither of those kernel updates could
	possibly be causing this problem, but those are the only
	thing that has changed in my kernel, so it's worth trying...

  - It is very slow to start, apparently because my disk is fairly
	slow and so loading it takes a lot of time.  I tried doing
	"chmod +t", hoping that by keeping it in swap space, startup
	would be speeded.  I'm not entirely clear about this, but so
	far it doesn't look like this feature has any effect.

dyer@spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) (04/10/88)

> >Does anyone have any recommendations on Emacs for Microport UNIX?
> >Specifically, has anyone gotten GNU Emacs up on one?

We brought GNU Emacs (including unexec), up on a Bell Tech box running their
AT&T UNIX V/386 port, so I would expect that it could come up quickly
under Microport UNIX 386, since it should be more or less the same environment.
It took someone smart, but not an EMACS or a GNU hacker, about an evening
or less of work.
--
Steve Dyer
dyer@harvard.harvard.edu