[comp.unix.microport] Korn shell emacs

staffan@log-hb.UUCP (E Eriksson) (04/07/88)

Has anybody using the Korn shell in Microport Unix 386 been able to
get the emacs line editing mode to work. The vi mode works fine for me,
but emacs, nope.

-- Staffan Eriksson @ TeleLOGIC AB

kjk@pbhyf.PacBell.COM (Ken Keirnan) (04/10/88)

In article <4271@log-hb.UUCP> staffan@log-hb.UUCP (Staffan K-E Eriksson) writes:
>Has anybody using the Korn shell in Microport Unix 386 been able to
>get the emacs line editing mode to work. The vi mode works fine for me,
>but emacs, nope.
>
>-- Staffan Eriksson @ TeleLOGIC AB

In a word, NO.  The first thing I tried after loading my updated Software
Development System was the emacs editing mode of the Korn shell. No dice.
The Korn shell is configurable at "make" time for the editing modes, and
evidently, Microport decided that "vi" mode was important (after all, vi
comes with the product) and "emacs" mode was not.  In frustration, I
ended up compiling ksh from the source (we have a site license) and not
have emacs command line editing.

Microport, are you listening?  Please give us poor emacs users command
line editing (just a cry for you unfortunates without source).
--

Ken Keirnan -- Pacific Bell -- {ihnp4,sun,ames,pyramid}!pacbell!pbhyf!kjk
  San Ramon, California			kjk@pbhyf.PacBell.COM