[comp.unix.microport] Microport questions by the pound

bjs@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Brian J. Smith) (04/12/88)

Ok.  there comes the question that all out in news land are going hate/love
for the next few weeks :-)

I have recently purchased Microport System V/AT Unix(tm) And I have a lot of
questions.

1)	I had a h#ll of a time getting the darn thing installed.  Mainly
because of the requirement for me to keep a MS-Dos partition going.  And I
want to know before I get to far into the system what amount of disk space
should I have to run news?  I have smail 2.5 installed with my smart host
being bikini.cis.ufl.edu I have a 60 Meg Priam hard disk with (now) 30 Megs
for UNIX and 30 for Dos. I am willing to lose some more of the Dos side but
not much more.

2)	I also have the plan of becoming (as far as I know) the first UNIX
bbs here in florida.  My question here is what is the best BBS program to use
I have installed SBBS but Its interface is not up to the Dos Hackers around
here And the modifcation that I would need to make the mail and the news
simple would possiable be like re-inventing the wheel (that is if the wheel
is already out there)

3)	Common Question how much memory..... speed now is slow .... I have a
1 Meg .... how much of a diff will it make if I have 2 Megs ... 3 Megs

4)	I plan to have One 2400 baud line open for the BBS will this be ok ?
and another line so that I can dial out. but I have a mouse for my Dos that
will only work in COM1 or COM2 ... see my problem .. (I want my mouse)

5)	Do other BBS runners use microport ?  If so is there a SAFE way to
give trusted users control of the the "real" machine.  And do you charge?
if so how much.....  I feel that news and mail will be very atractive to
the local Dos Freaks.  Dont you :-)

any help will be answered with at least a form letter....
e-mail or news will be good for replys

--
()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()
The Person  :                                                Brian J. Smith

wtr@moss.ATT.COM (04/12/88)

In article <14543@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU>,  (Brian J. Smith) writes:

> Common Question how much memory..... speed now is slow .... I have a
> 1 Meg .... how much of a diff will it make if I have 2 Megs ... 3 Megs

Stupid Ans: 'The more, the better'
Real Ans: You can run at 1 meg, but for multiple users, (BBS) I'd think
	about trying to go to at least two.  (da*n, those chip prices!)

> I plan to have One 2400 baud line open for the BBS will this be ok ?
> and another line so that I can dial out. but I have a mouse for my
> Dos that will only work in COM1 or COM2

Check your release notes, there is a method mentioned to add the
drivers foor additional tty ports. I currently have my modem
(USR internal) wired in as tty02 (com3:) and two serial ports
for tty00, tty01.

> 5)	Do other BBS runners use microport ?  If so is there a SAFE way to
> give trusted users control of the the "real" machine.

Microport has their own BBS w/ patches, useful PD software, and their
BBS source for download.  Perhaps it would help to talk to them. SA
is John Sulley.  BBS phone #'s are 408-438-(6567|6687|2492). The first
two numbers are 2400/1200/300, last number is 1200/300.

Hope this has helped.

> The Person  :                                         Brian J. Smith

Bill Rankin
Bell Labs, Whippany NJ
(201) 386-4154 (cornet 232)

email address:		...![ ihnp4 ulysses cbosgd allegra ]!moss!wtr
			...![ ihnp4 cbosgd akgua watmath  ]!clyde!wtr