[comp.unix.microport] uPort 386

singer@XN.LL.MIT.EDU (Matthew R. Singer) (03/12/88)

Before investing in microport's full 386 system, I have a few questions
if anyone cares to answer:

1)  Can the 386 system compile for a 286 machine (Large model)?
    If not, since I need the system for product development,
    can V/AT and V/386 reside on the same machine?

2)  Does the 386 system implement shared text?

3)  I have a 386, with an XT class hard drive for MS-DOS.  I want
    to add a large AT class drive for Unix.  Can I leave the old
    disk in place for running MS-DOS?  Can I boot dos from one
    and unix from the other?  Can I even boot dos or do you
    have to use dosmerge?

4)  Does the 386 system page? Or just swap...

Danke...

Matt Singer

ewv@violet.berkeley.edu (Eric Varsanyi) (03/12/88)

In article <929@xn.LL.MIT.EDU> singer@XN.LL.MIT.EDU (Matthew R. Singer) writes:
>1)  Can the 386 system compile for a 286 machine (Large model)?
No, the supplied compiler cannot produces 286 executables. The system does
seem to be able to run COFF 286 executables.

>    If not, since I need the system for product development,
>    can V/AT and V/386 reside on the same machine?
I've heard gripes here that people cannot get the 286 product up on a 386,
theoretically it should work, the 386 is downward compatible.

>2)  Does the 386 system implement shared text?
Yes, shared libraries are available. Libc and the networking libraries come
with the system as shared libraries. (Non shared versions are also included).

>3)  I have a 386, with an XT class hard drive for MS-DOS.  I want
>    to add a large AT class drive for Unix.  Can I leave the old
>    disk in place for running MS-DOS?  Can I boot dos from one
>    and unix from the other?  Can I even boot dos or do you
>    have to use dosmerge?
Be carefull booting between DOS and UNIX, DOS doesn't understand the intel
VTOC and will probably trash it. Best bet is to boot Unix off the HD and
boot DOS off the floppy drive (then go to D: or where ever your hard disk
is at).

>4)  Does the 386 system page? Or just swap...
It pages very nicely, a sar -p shows paging activity. I would suggest getting
4 Meg of real storage, 2M just doesn't do the job. The low 1 meg seems to
be taken by the kernel and memory mapped I/O, the above-the-line memory
(1M in a 2M system) is split between the buffer cache (default 100K) and
free pages. When running one compile, my system pages at about 13/sec.
Eric Varsanyi                                        ewv@violet.berkeley.edu
                                                     !ucbvax!violet!ewv
   Any opinions expressed are mine and are not necessarily those of Cray

louis@auvax.UUCP (Louis Schmittroth) (03/13/88)

In article <7602@agate.BERKELEY.EDU|, ewv@violet.berkeley.edu (Eric Varsanyi) writes:
| In article <929@xn.LL.MIT.EDU> singer@XN.LL.MIT.EDU (Matthew R. Singer) writes:
| >4)  Does the 386 system page? Or just swap...
| It pages very nicely, a sar -p shows paging activity. I would suggest getting
| 4 Meg of real storage, 2M just doesn't do the job. The low 1 meg seems to
| be taken by the kernel and memory mapped I/O, the above-the-line memory
| (1M in a 2M system) is split between the buffer cache (default 100K) and
| free pages. When running one compile, my system pages at about 13/sec.
| ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
| Eric Varsanyi                                        ewv@violet.berkeley.edu
|                                                      !ucbvax!violet!ewv
|    Any opinions expressed are mine and are not necessarily those of Cray
| ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have a chance to buy a very nice Made in Canada 386 machine which
comes with 2MB of memeory using 256kb chips on the motherboard.  The
only other option is 8MB using 1mb chips, but this would cost me $2000
more.  Will uport 386 run OK with 1 or 2 users with only 2MB memory?
My strategy would be to wait until 1mb chips come down in price and
install them later.

--

Louis Schmittroth		           My employer has no opinions.
Computer Science

wnp@killer.UUCP (Wolf Paul) (03/14/88)

In article <7602@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> ewv@violet.berkeley.edu (Eric Varsanyi) writes:
>In article <929@xn.LL.MIT.EDU> singer@XN.LL.MIT.EDU (Matthew R. Singer) writes:
>>1)  Can the 386 system compile for a 286 machine (Large model)?
>No, the supplied compiler cannot produces 286 executables. The system does
>seem to be able to run COFF 286 executables.
>
>>    If not, since I need the system for product development,
>>    can V/AT and V/386 reside on the same machine?
>I've heard gripes here that people cannot get the 286 product up on a 386,
>theoretically it should work, the 386 is downward compatible.

Well, if the 386 compiler will not compile 286 code, but the 386 UNIX will run
286 COFF binaries, you might be able to run the 286 Development System under
your 386 UNIX kernel. Of course you'd have to use not only the 286 compiler,
assembler & linker, but the 286 libraries and include files as well.

It should even be possible to set up a shell script which does a "chroot"
to a separate "286 directory hierarchy" to automatically access a
286-specific /usr/lib/, /usr/include/, etc.

Has anybody tried this?
UUCP:  ihnp4!killer!dcs!wnp                    ESL: 62832882
INTERNET: wnp@EESDES.DAS.NET or wnp@dcs.UUCP   TLX: 910-280-0585 EES PLANO UD
                One Austrian's Opinion:  Waldheim must go!

karl@ddsw1.UUCP (Karl Denninger) (03/16/88)

In article <3679@killer.UUCP> wnp@killer.UUCP (Wolf Paul) writes:
$In article <7602@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> ewv@violet.berkeley.edu (Eric Varsanyi) writes:
$>In article <929@xn.LL.MIT.EDU> singer@XN.LL.MIT.EDU (Matthew R. Singer) writes:
$>>1)  Can the 386 system compile for a 286 machine (Large model)?
$>No, the supplied compiler cannot produces 286 executables. The system does
$>seem to be able to run COFF 286 executables.

WARNING: These '286 executables must be READABLE to execute, not just
executable.  Scratch any idea of security for your compiled modules.

$>>    If not, since I need the system for product development,
$>>    can V/AT and V/386 reside on the same machine?
$>I've heard gripes here that people cannot get the 286 product up on a 386,
$>theoretically it should work, the 386 is downward compatible.

The '286 product runs on our '386 systems as does the '386 product (we sell
Televideo).

$
$It should even be possible to set up a shell script which does a "chroot"
$to a separate "286 directory hierarchy" to automatically access a
$286-specific /usr/lib/, /usr/include/, etc.

This works... we use it here for cross-development.

The 'installit' program on the '386 can and will read '286 format installit
disks; this is how we finally got '286 compilation capability on our
Microport/386 system.

Just don't forget that you need the shared libraries in the chrooted area,
or nothing will work at all! :-)

Two notes about this:
	1) '286 SDB will not work on the 386 runtime.  Thus you cannot DEBUG
	   80286 code on the '386 (yuck!), for this, you need a '286 as well.
	   Core dumps in a '286 COFF binary are a *bitch* to find without a
	   workable debugger!
	2) The 'chrooted' area must have all the directories and files which
	   are normally required for operation.  If you put your chrooted
	   area on the same filesystem as your primary operating files, you
	   can at least use 'ln' and save significant amounts of space.

This requires that you have both licenses, too -- which makes quite a dent
in the pocketbook.....

------
Karl Denninger		       |  Data: +1 312 566-8912
Macro Computer Solutions, Inc. | Voice: +1 312 566-8910
...ihnp4!ddsw1!karl	       | "Quality solutions for work or play"

neighorn@catlabs.UUCP (Steven C. Neighorn) (04/17/88)

In article <7602@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> ewv@violet.berkeley.edu (Eric Varsanyi) writes:
>In article <929@xn.LL.MIT.EDU> singer@XN.LL.MIT.EDU (Matthew R. Singer) writes:
>>1)  Can the 386 system compile for a 286 machine (Large model)?
>No, the supplied compiler cannot produces 286 executables. The system does
>seem to be able to run COFF 286 executables.

With the following expections from my 'running 286 binaries on V/386' days:

1) Unify's Microport 286 version of Accell (The development environment). Most
of the RDBMS stuff worked Ok, but trying anything fancy with Accell resulted
in a 500k(!) core file.

2) A ported version of Sendmail 5.51. "ioctl" problems here, and the venerable
'not a typewriter' error we have all grown to love and cherish.

3) The Dataflex DB compiler. The rest of Dataflex works fine, but we have to
keep a uport 286 system hanging around to compile new Dataflex stuff.

#1 and #2 were fixed by getting a new version/recompiling. #3 is still a sore
spot.
--
Steven C. Neighorn    ...!tektronix!{psu-cs,reed,ogcvax}!qiclab!catlabs!neighorn
Portland Public Schools     "Where we train young Star Fighters to defend the