[comp.unix.microport] Elm 1.5 on System V/AT

dds@imsys.UUCP (Dennis Sherod) (05/04/88)

I have made an initial attempt to build Elm 1.5 on System V/AT 2.30-LM
with the usual limited success, i.e. it builds clean but crashes on
segment violations and bus errors.  Before I dive into this I would like
to know of any parallel work for the world-at-large.  Or if anyone has
played with the same thing for rev. 1.7 which I belive is now in Beta.

I have received messages from uport with the elm MX messages but I beleive
this is a 386.

Dave Taylor, are you listening?

--
Dennis Sherod, Data General Corporation UUCP:     ..!uunet!peregrine!imsys!dds
Software Products & Services Division   TELCON:   +1 714 835 3583

root@uwspan.UUCP (Sue Peru Sr.) (05/07/88)

+---- dds@imsys.UUCP (Dennis Sherod) writes in <346@imsys.UUCP> ----

| I have made an initial attempt to build Elm 1.5 on System V/AT 2.30-LM
| with the usual limited success
| --
| Dennis Sherod, Data General Corporation UUCP:     ..!uunet!peregrine!imsys!dds
+----

I've been using the port done by Jon Zeeff of elm 1.5 for the last year or so.
Check with Wolf Paul or Robert White - both of them have copies of it and
(Wolf at least) has said he'd make it avaliable if you send floppies...

I'm in the midst of (trying to) change jobs and so won't be able to
distribute stuff for a while.  The "Microport Info Service" avaliable on
uwspan (email with special Subject:s) will continue to operate, as will
email to me.  More later on most of these stations...

BTW - Jon did a great job in tracking down the segment faults - Thanks!

  -John Plocher

--
Comp.Unix.Microport is now unmoderated!  Use at your own risk :-)

learn@igloo.UUCP (william vajk) (05/09/88)

In article <346@imsys.UUCP>, dds@imsys.UUCP (Dennis Sherod) writes:

> I have made an initial attempt to build Elm 1.5 on System V/AT 2.30-LM
> with the usual limited success, i.e. it builds clean but crashes on
> segment violations and bus errors.

1.5 runs fine here on igloo, though we have discovered that any user
attempting to run it without an acceptable defined terminal type
will indeed experience the problems you describe.

Some have had success with an .elmrc file. Personally, I run the thing
raw as the defaults are quite acceptable to me. Your mileage may vary.

Bill Vajk                                              learn@igloo

karl@ddsw1.UUCP (Karl Denninger) (05/09/88)

In article <346@imsys.UUCP> dds@imsys.UUCP (Dennis Sherod) writes:

>I have made an initial attempt to build Elm 1.5 on System V/AT 2.30-LM
>with the usual limited success, i.e. it builds clean but crashes on
>segment violations and bus errors.  Before I dive into this I would like
>to know of any parallel work for the world-at-large.  Or if anyone has
>played with the same thing for rev. 1.7 which I belive is now in Beta.
>
>I have received messages from uport with the elm MX messages but I beleive
>this is a 386.
>
>Dave Taylor, are you listening?

You need about 100 "defines" so the pointer-returning functions are
declared.... This has been done for V1.5; no one has bothered with 1.7 yet.

Unfortunately, I do not have diffs, but could arrange via the mail to send
you binaries and/or source to what we have.

----
Karl Denninger                 |  Data: +1 312 566-8912
Macro Computer Solutions, Inc. | Voice: +1 312 566-8910
...ihnp4!ddsw1!karl            | "Quality solutions for work or play"

mjy@sdti.UUCP (Michael J. Young) (05/10/88)

In article <346@imsys.UUCP> dds@imsys.UUCP (Dennis Sherod) writes:

>I have made an initial attempt to build Elm 1.5 on System V/AT 2.30-LM
>with the usual limited success, i.e. it builds clean but crashes on
>segment violations and bus errors.  Before I dive into this I would like
>to know of any parallel work for the world-at-large.  Or if anyone has
>played with the same thing for rev. 1.7 which I belive is now in Beta.

The biggest problem I had getting Elm 1.5 working on my system was
all of the array[-1] references in the array of mailbox messages.  I've
never tried 1.7.  Are these problems still there, or did they get fixed?
--
Mike Young - Software Development Technologies, Inc., Sudbury MA 01776
UUCP     : {decvax,harvard,linus,mit-eddie}!necntc!necis!mrst!sdti!mjy