[comp.unix.microport] ESDI drives support for microport Unix

narayan@tandem.UUCP (Narayan Mohanram) (05/11/88)

I have an ESDI drive (CDC) on my 386 AT. I bought microport
UN*X, but I heard that they don't have any support for the
ESDI conrtroller. Does anybody out there have a driver for
it.

Thanks in advance.

Narayan Mohanram

james@bigtex.uucp (James Van Artsdalen) (05/11/88)

IN article <363@tandem.UUCP>, narayan@tandem.UUCP (Narayan Mohanram) wrote:
> I have an ESDI drive (CDC) on my 386 AT. I bought microport
> UN*X, but I heard that they don't have any support for the
> ESDI conrtroller. Does anybody out there have a driver for
> it.

Well, uPort likes my CDC Wren III-182 ESDI just fine...

You neglected to mention which controller you're using.  A controller such
as the WD1007/WA2 (probably your best choice), which can map the drive into
a 17sec/trk drive at the REGISTER level, will work.  A controller that
can't do this, such as the WD1005, will cause kernel death.
--
James R. Van Artsdalen   ...!ut-sally!utastro!bigtex!james   "Live Free or Die"
Home: 512-346-2444 Work: 328-0282; 110 Wild Basin Rd. Ste #230, Austin TX 78746