[comp.unix.microport] SUN date problem

ilcu@icoven.olivetti.com (Daniela Papa) (05/02/88)

Every time I reboot my SUN 3/50M I get the message that the clock lost
29 days. While running the clock slows done about 10 minutes per hour, I
avoid this by speeding up the clock rate ( date -annn.sss ) but having to
reset the date every time I boot is a pain in the neck. Has anybody
experienced this problem? Is it a hardware bug.... I tried pulling out
the lithium battery and short-circuiting the electrolitic capacitor in
order to reset the Intersil ICM7170 but nothing happened except that I
got the message the the tod clock wasn't initialized. Any pointers....

The header isn't completely correct because I'm not in Cupertino but
in Ivrea, Italy and read news through our link to Cupertino.

cloos@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (James H. Cloos Jr.) (05/03/88)

In article <21024@oliveb.olivetti.com> ilcu@icoven.UUCP (Daniela Papa) writes:

>Every time I reboot my SUN 3/50M I get the message that the clock lost
>29 days. While running the clock slows done about 10 minutes per hour, I
>avoid this by speeding up the clock rate ( date -annn.sss ) but having to
>reset the date every time I boot is a pain in the neck. Has anybody
>experienced this problem? Is it a hardware bug.... I tried pulling out
>the lithium battery and short-circuiting the electrolitic capacitor in
>order to reset the Intersil ICM7170 but nothing happened except that I
>got the message the the tod clock wasn't initialized. Any pointers....
>
>The header isn't completely correct because I'm not in Cupertino but
>in Ivrea, Italy and read news through our link to Cupertino.

10 minutes per hour, huh?  Which means that your clock only registers
50 minutes for every 60 that pass.  Kinda like running a US spec AC
clock in Europe.  The clock would expect 60 hz but get 50 hz, causing
it to slow down 10 min per hour.

But a clock running on a lithium battery would be DC, no??
And DC should not be affected by the change in Hz in the AC line.

Is it possible that the capacitator is not matched to the battery correctly?

(Now that I think of it, when I use Kodak Lithium 9-volts to back up my
 alarm clock, rather then Alkaline 9-volts, the clock gains about a min
 per hour, so choice of battery could be a factor.  Can anyone explain
 my problem w/ lithium 9 volts either???)

Good luck.
-JimC

--
batcomputer!cloos@cornell.UUCP  |James H. Cloos, Jr.|#include <disclaimer.h>
cloos@batcomputer.tn.cornell.EDU|B7 Upson, Cornell U|#include <cute_stuff.h>

ked@garnet.berkeley.edu (Charles Faulhaber) (05/03/88)

>Is it possible that the capacitator is not matched to the battery correctly?
                         ~~~~~~~~~~~
Is this computer literacy?

lyndon@ncc.Nexus.CA (Lyndon Nerenberg) (05/04/88)

There is a bug in SunOS that causes the clock to do strange things.
This has been discussed at length in comp.sys.sun. A patch is available
from the sun-spots archive server at Rice.

[ This has nothing to do with Xenix, etc. Followups are in comp.unix.questions ]
--
{alberta,utzoo,uunet}!ncc!lyndon  lyndon@Nexus.CA

pcm@iwarpv.intel.com (Phil C. Miller) (05/04/88)

In article <9546@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> cck@deneb.ucdavis.edu (Earl H. Kinmonth) writes:
>>Is it possible that the capacitator is not matched to the battery correctly?
>                         ~~~~~~~~~~~
>Is this computer literacy?

Yes, although my inductative logic tells me that people have a high
resistatance to looking up words in a dictionary.

Phil Miller

marcus@fkihh.UUCP (Marcus Moehrmann) (05/06/88)

In article <21024@oliveb.olivetti.com> ilcu@icoven.UUCP (Daniela Papa) writes:

>Every time I reboot my SUN 3/50M I get the message that the clock lost
>29 days. While running the clock slows done about 10 minutes per hour, I
>avoid this by speeding up the clock rate ( date -annn.sss ) but having to
>reset the date every time I boot is a pain in the neck. Has anybody
>experienced this problem? Is it a hardware bug....

Here is a fix, which was posted to newsgroup 'Comp.sys.sun'

*** Marcus Moehrmann                |  UUCP:    marcus@fkihh.UUCP ***
*** (TeX: M\"{o}hrmann)             |  PHONE:   +49-40-4123-2573  ***
*** Univ of Hamburg, W. Germany     |           +49-40-5202464    ***

SUN-SPOTS DIGEST         Thursday, 7 January 1988       Volume 6 : Issue 1

Today's Topics:
                       Administrivia and Non-trivia
                Sun TOD Clock bug Patches for all releases
                    Sendmail 'Oi' fix breaks SMTP mail
                      Re: rows,cols (window sizing)
                          Re: disk versus memory
               Diffs to make gnuplot 1.1.0 run under SunCGI
                           PD indexing software
                      Low Cost SCSI drives for Sun's
          Sun 3 keyboards drop characters when you type too fast
              Strange failure of bind(2) on diskless clients
                     Attempt to compile dumpregion.c
                                ping bug?
                     Removable Disk Storage on Suns?
                      Maximum disk space limitation?
                How to do hybrid slider/text panel items?
                  SI83 8" SMD disks and SMD controllers?
                      Ethernet controllers for Suns?

Date:    Wed,  6 Jan 88 17:46:46 CST
From:    William LeFebvre <phil@Rice.edu>
Subject: Administrivia and Non-trivia

I just got all caught up with Sun-Spots and then Christmas break hit.
Oh well......

Two of the files in the SunRPC distribution (contained in the archives)
suffer from the infamous dot-on-a-line-by-itself disease.  I hope to take
care of the problem in the very near future (I may just ask the author to
repack those files with a better mail packer).  The afflicted files are
"rpcsrc.doc.11" and "rpcsrc.doc.13".  Sorry for the inconvenience.

Finally, what new year would be complete without a widespread and serious
bug to plague everyone.  No, I'm not talking about the flu.  I'm talking
about a disturbance in the temporal plane:  the now infamous drifting
clock bug.  As most of you probably know by now, there is a bug in SunOS
that, as of the beginning of the year, makes the TOD clock drift or
otherwise behave oddly.  Chuq at Sun has been kind enough to send a patch
to Sun-Spots for this bug.  I recommend this patch over all others---it's
straight from Sun.  It is all contained in the next message.  I felt it
important enough to pull it out of the queue of waiting message and run it
immediately.

			William LeFebvre
			Department of Computer Science
			Rice University
			<phil@Rice.edu>

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 7 Jan 88 10:29:15 PST
From: chuq@sun.com (Chuq Von Rospach)
Subject: Sun TOD Clock bug Patches for all releases

[These are the official patches from Sun for all known affected releases
 in the field. If you have any questions or problems, please call Sun
 Tech Support]

chuq
Sun Tech Support

There exists a problem for all Sun3 (68020) machines running SunOS
Releases 3.0-3.5, and all Sun4 (SPARC) machines running SunOS
Release Sys4-3.2 FCS and Sys4-3.2L GAMMA. This problem does not
exist for Sun-2's.

As of Jan 1 00:00 1988, the clock routine in the kernel will put the
clock chip into an uncertain state if you attempt to set the date.
The visible effects of this is to 1) cause the message

        WARNING: TOD clock not initialized -- CHECK AND RESET THE DATE!

to appear while booting vmunix, and to 2) cause the system date to start
to drift widely. Any attempts to actually *set* the date will have only a
temporary effect (i.e., the date you set will be good for about 30 seconds).

In order to solve this problem, you must patch both the kernel and system
object files.

[[ NOTE that there are three separate patches.  Make sure you use the
right one.  --wnl ]]

	Sun3 System Patch
	Releases 3.2, 3.3, 3.4, 3.5

  This is for Diskful and Server Machines only. Diskless machines need to
  be fixed on the server.

As root, run the follwing command:

	echo 'resettodr+c0?i' | adb /vmunix - | grep reset

You should see the following printed out:

	_resettodr+c0:	bnes	_resettodr+0xca

If you see instead:

	_resettodr+c0:	bnes	_resettodr+0xce

the patch has already been applied to this system.
Proceed with the rest of the patch procedure anyway!

If you do not see either of these messages, go no further with this patch,
and please contact Sun Microsystems Customer Service.

If you do see either of those messages, then run, as root,
the following commands:

	echo 'resettodr+c0?w 660c' | adb -w /vmunix

Reboot and then *set* the date.

If you build kernels for your system, or are a server for diskless clients,
do, as root

	cp /sys/OBJ/clock.o /sys/OBJ/clock.o-
	echo 'resettodr+c0?w 660c' | adb -w /sys/OBJ/clock.o

and then rebuild your kernel and/or the kernels for your diskless clients.

        Sun3 System Patch
	Release SunOS Release 3.0

  This is for Diskful and Server Machines only. Diskless machines need to
  be fixed on the server.

As root, run the following command:

        echo 'todset+0xb4?i' | adb /vmunix -

You should see the following printed out:

        _todset+0xb4:   bnes    _todset+0xbe

If you see instead:

        _todset+0xb4:   bnes    _todset+0xc2

the patch has already been applied to this system.
Proceed with the rest of the patch procedure anyway!

If you do not see either of these messages, go no further with this patch,
and please contact Sun Microsystems Customer Service.

If you do see either of those messages, then run, as root,
the following command:

        echo 'todset+0xb4?w 0x660c' | adb -w /vmunix

Reboot and then *set* the date.

If you build kernels for your system, or are a server for diskless clients,
do, as root

        cp /sys/OBJ/clock.o /sys/OBJ/clock.o-
        echo 'todset+0xb4?w 0x660c' | adb -w /sys/OBJ/clock.o

and then rebuild your kernel and/or the kernels for your diskless clients.

	Sun4 System Patch
	Release Sys4-3.2 FCS, Sys4-3.2L GAMMA

  This is for Diskful and Server Machines only. Diskless machines need to
  be fixed on the server.

	echo 'resettodr+0x110?i' | adb /vmunix -

You should see the following printed out:

	_resettodr+0x110:               sub     %i5, 0x1, %i5

If you see instead:

	_resettodr+0x110:               sub     %i5, 0x0, %i5

the patch has already been applied to this system.
Proceed with the rest of the patch procedure anyway!

If you do not see either of these messages, go no further with this patch,
and please contact Sun Microsystems Customer Service.

If you do see either of those messages, then run, as root,
the following command:

	echo 'resettodr+0x110?W ba276000' | adb -w -k /vmunix /dev/mem

Reboot and then *set* the date.

If you build kernels for your system, or are a server for diskless clients,
do, as root

	cp /sys/sun4/OBJ/clock.o /sys/sun4/OBJ/clock.o-
	echo 'resettodr+0x110?W ba276000' | adb -w /sys/sun4/OBJ/clock.o

and then rebuild your kernel and/or the kernels for your diskless clients.

---------------------------------

many articles removed ...

End of SUN-Spots Digest
***********************

wes@obie.UUCP (Barnacle Wes) (05/07/88)

In article <3440@omepd>, pcm@iwarpv.intel.com (Phil C. Miller) replies:
| Yes, although my inductative logic tells me that people have a high
| resistatance to looking up words in a dictionary.
                                        ^^^^^^^^^^
Shouldn't that be `dictationary'?
--
    /\              -  "Against Stupidity,  -    {backbones}!
   /\/\  .    /\    -  The Gods Themselves  -  utah-cs!uplherc!

mkhaw@teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA (Mike Khaw) (05/11/88)

+ | Yes, although my inductative logic tells me that people have a high
+ | resistatance to looking up words in a dictionary.
+ Shouldn't that be `dictationary'?

"dictionatary", because diction and dictation are differentative.

Mike Khaw
--
internet: mkhaw@teknowledge.arpa
uucp:	  {uunet|sun|ucbvax|decwrl|uw-beaver}!mkhaw%teknowledge-vaxc.arpa