[comp.unix.microport] How does dial

ken@umbc3.UMD.EDU (Ken Spagnolo ) (05/12/88)

I am running V/386 and can't seem to get dial to work.  It can't seem
to get the device it needs.  Using trial and error in setting the CALL
structure fields, I have gotten these error codes back.
-8 - requested device not available
-9 - requested device not known
-11 - no device known at requested baud
-12 - (this one isn't even in the manual!)
I have also played with /usr/lib/uucp/Devices a bit, setting the description
for device /dev/ttyid to both of the following:
ACU ttyid ttyid 1200 hayes      and
Direct ttyid - 1200 direct

Has anyone gotten dial to work?  I know that cu uses it and works fine.
I would appreciate any info (examples?) that anyone has.  Thanx.

Ken Spagnolo
ken@umbc3.umd.edu or uunet!umbc3!ken

hack@bellboy.UUCP (Greg Hackney) (05/13/88)

In article <977@umbc3.UMD.EDU> ken@umbc3.UMD.EDU (Ken Spagnolo ) writes:
>I am running V/386 and can't seem to get dial to work.  It can't seem
>to get the device it needs.
>I have also played with /usr/lib/uucp/Devices a bit
>Has anyone gotten dial to work?  I know that cu uses it and works fine.
>Ken Spagnolo
>ken@umbc3.umd.edu or uunet!umbc3!ken

The uPort manual for dial(3C) says, "WARNINGS The dial (3C) library function
is not compatible with Basic Networking Utilities."  The uPort 5.3
release comes with BNU. Page 21 of the release notes says, "The
dial(3C) and undial(3C) routines do not work with UNIX System V
Release 3.0 uucp(1)."

Maybe that's why it doesn't work.

--
Greg