[comp.unix.microport] Microport 386 install problems

narayan@tandem.UUCP (Narayan Mohanram) (05/16/88)

Has anybody come up with the problem of

	PANIC: splint: logic error in misc.s

when installing the build floppy (the first one). This happens
on several of the 20MHz 386 (Everex, AST, and local clone). I
tried running them at 16 MHZ, and had the same problem. Microport
tech support is not much help. They asked me about my EGA card, and
told me that this was the problem. However I pointed out to them
that the EGA card must be OK if I can get PANIC messages, and
register dumps to my screen.

This seems to be something basic, and it is not a bad floppy,
as it worked on a wyse 16 MHZ system. I am getting ready to
return the micro-port unix.

Any advice is appreceated.

Thanks in advance.

Narayan Mohanram

mjy@sdti.UUCP (Michael J. Young) (05/18/88)

In article <365@tandem.UUCP> narayan@tandem.UUCP (Narayan Mohanram) writes:
>... Microport
>tech support is not much help. They asked me about my EGA card, and
>told me that this was the problem. However I pointed out to them
>that the EGA card must be OK if I can get PANIC messages, and
>register dumps to my screen.

I'm no expert, but I do know that the kernel version of putchar() that
actually writes to the console (indirectly used by panic()) is MUCH
simpler than the console driver.  It wouldn't surprise me in the least that
you can get panic messages and still have an unsupported EGA card.

Try Microport's suggestion first, and if that fails, then flame.
--
Mike Young - Software Development Technologies, Inc., Sudbury MA 01776
UUCP     : {decvax,harvard,linus,mit-eddie}!necntc!necis!mrst!sdti!mjy