[comp.unix.microport] What is an acceptable O/S for a 286?

wnp@dcs.UUCP (Wolf N. Paul) (05/26/88)

In article <May.25.20.30.23.1988.15132@aramis.rutgers.edu> hedrick@aramis.rutgers.edu (Charles Hedrick) writes:
 >However I am reluctant to recommend SV/AT in any configuration, lest I
 >mislead people into believing that I endorse it.  I had originally
 >written a long paragraph describing the reasons I can't stand SV/AT.
 >(My problems are not with Microport specifically, by the way, but with
 >System V.)  Because this group has generally been mercifully free of
 >flames, I've decided to omit it.  However I would like to be sure that
 >no one interprets my participation in this group as meaning that I
 >consider system V release 2 as an acceptable operating system,
 >particularly for a personal computer.

Well -- would you care to tell us what **IS** an acceptable OS for a personal
computer?

MS-DOS? OS/2?

Why, then, are you using UNIX System V?

And what, specifically, makes UNIX System V Release 2 so unacceptable?

Now that you have whet our appetites, let us hear it! There is a difference
between reasonable criticism and flames (although many netters don't seem
to know that difference). By all means lets have reasonable criticism --
after all this is not comp.ostrich (head in the sand) :-).
UUCP:     ihnp4!killer!dcs!wnp                 ESL: 62832882
INTERNET: wnp@DESEES.DAS.NET or wnp@dcs.UUCP   TLX: 910-280-0585 EES PLANO UD

dyer@spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) (05/27/88)

In article <96@dcs.UUCP>, wnp@dcs.UUCP (Wolf N. Paul) writes:
> In article <May.25.20.30.23.1988.15132@aramis.rutgers.edu> hedrick@aramis.rutgers.edu (Charles Hedrick) writes:
>  >However I am reluctant to recommend SV/AT in any configuration, lest I
>  >mislead people into believing that I endorse it.
>  >(My problems are not with Microport specifically, by the way, but with
>  >System V.)
>
> Well -- would you care to tell us what **IS** an acceptable OS for a personal
> computer?

I would suggest to Chuck Hedrick that having a flat 32-bit address space with
virtual memory instead of being saddled with a 286 makes a lot more difference
in one's attitude towards System V than you'd expect.  I've used SCO XENIX on
a 286, and both SCO XENIX and Bell Tech's UNIX 5.3.0 on a 386, and the
difference between the 286 and the 386 in terms of what can be ported easily
(i.e., little more than being recompiled) is enormous.

I find that the Sys V/BSD dichotomy is getting a little unconvincing.
I'm a 4.3BSD fan, but my home machine doesn't run it, and probably won't
ever (unless I finally save for that Sun 386i).  I find SCO XENIX 386
a perfectly fine environment, and with GNU Emacs and MH/sendmail/smail ported,
along with its multiple login screens accessible via ALT-Fn, it's a creditable
workstation surrogate.  My experience with Bell Tech UNIX 386 5.3.0 is more
recent, but it all seems to work, and with their ethernet card and Streamlined
Networks TCP/IP code, it interoperates with VS2000s and RT/PCs pretty well
on a campus network (missing right now are BIND and any SMTP server, but
that is pretty minor, the latter only awaiting some spare time on my part.
I can live with a host table right now [millions do].)

I am given to wonder what the nature of Chuck's objections are.  I know
it isn't BSD, but I've found that just to be a matter of accustomization
and customization.  You can't get a BSD box yet for the same price as a
386 box running XENIX 386, Bell Tech UNIX or Microport.

--
Steve Dyer
dyer@harvard.harvard.edu