[comp.unix.microport] Foreign

deutsch@jplgodo.UUCP (Michael Deutsch ) (05/27/88)

Are you an expert in runing FOREIGN (LATIN TEXT)
on an ASCII or an ANSI terminal with foreign character
sets, as well as on your monitor?

If you are, I need your help.  I have an application
that was translated from English into French and German
which added characters with accents, etc., which DOS
system displays very nicely; however many terminals
have only a partial foreign character set, and UNIX
does not handle very well characters with ASCII value over
127. This results in funny characters and strange results.

I know somewhat how to use the "mapchan" and "mapscr"
feature under XENIX and I understand that the 10 / Plus
environment under 386/IX has some provisions for doing
this, however the details are sketchy to me.  I would
also like to be able to run these under Microport and
on a SUN workstation.  Your clear description of the
process will be greatly appreciated.  I understand
that these features were added only recently; however,
my understanding is that they exist!

If you have a solution, please reply by E-mail, or call
me collect or even FAX:

Tel: 1 - (619) 452 - 8649
Fax: 1 - (619) 452 - 8711

Thanks in advance,

Michael Deutsch

morris@ontenv.UUCP (D. Wayne Morris) (06/01/88)

In article <17586@jplgodo.UUCP>, deutsch@jplgodo.UUCP (Michael Deutsch ) writes:
> Are you an expert in runing FOREIGN (LATIN TEXT)
> on an ASCII or an ANSI terminal with foreign character
> sets, as well as on your monitor?
>
> If you are, I need your help.  I have an application
etc...

> If you have a solution, please reply by E-mail,

I also am interested in a sol'n to this problem..
muchas gracias,

	Wayne Morris

--
"Yo bro,  what it is!"