[comp.unix.microport] Ksh Documentation

larry@focsys.UUCP (Larry Williamson) (06/02/88)

I've obtained the korn shell from microport's bbs and I love it.

The problem is the lack of documentation. I am currently using the
korn shell documentation that came with my copy of the MKS toolkit.

I can't help but think that there will be inconsistencies between
the software I have and MKS's ksh documentation. After all, MKS
ksh is running on DOS and cannot support all the unix features.
(Although it is excellent, it was from using MKS's ksh that I decided
to spend the long distance call to california to get microport's ksh).

Where can I get documentation on ksh?

larry
--
Larry Williamson                      Focus Automation Systems
UUCP: watmath!focsys!larry    608 Weber St. N, Waterloo, Ontario N2V 1K4

bill@carpet.WLK.COM (Bill Kennedy) (06/03/88)

In article <177@focsys.UUCP> larry@focsys.UUCP (Larry Williamson) writes:
>I've obtained the korn shell from microport's bbs and I love it.

Me too!  And I paid for mine from Aspen in NJ :-)  Couldn't be without it.

[ documentation remarks deleted... ]

>to spend the long distance call to california to get microport's ksh).
>
>Where can I get documentation on ksh?

It's another LD call to CA but if you call Computer Literacy book store
in San Jose, they have a quick reference in a spiral binding that's
good for just that.  Also there is a book that they have, I think the
title is UNIX Shell Programming by Kochan & Wood that has a chapter or
so devoted to it. (408) 435-1118

The people where I got mine (one each for V/AT and Xenix 386) encloses
a rather complete tutorial text and manual pages for ksh.  Since they
get over $100 (I forget at the moment) for the ksh binary, I am not
sure they'd just sell you the book.  Their name is Aspen something or
other (there's also an Aspen in Colorado who sells curses, that's why
I'm fuzzy) and they are in NJ.  They advertise regularly in UNIX/World
and UNIX Review or try area code 201 directory assistance for Parsippany.

For me there are two big wins with ksh.  It does everything that csh
(on a non-BSD system) can do as well as sh (csh doesn't seem to like
to unshar things).  If you have to run both DOS and UNIX it's very
valuable to have the same command interpreter and syntax.  Some of the
other features (improved arithmetic capability, command line editing)
are a real pleasure but the uniform command interface is invaluable.
--
Bill Kennedy  Internet:  bill@ssbn.WLK.COM
                Usenet:  { killer | att-cb | ihnp4!tness7 }!ssbn!bill

wnp@dcs.UUCP (Wolf N. Paul) (06/03/88)

In article <177@focsys.UUCP> larry@focsys.UUCP (Larry Williamson) writes:
>Where can I get documentation on ksh?

Korn Shell Documentation is available on The Unix Connection BBS in Dallas,
also known as "killer".

Unfortunately it is in one of the BBS download directories, where it cannot
be accessed by anonymous uucp.

So you'll have to call one of the four numbers listed below, log in as "new",
wait for your registration to be verified, and then you can go grab it from
the file download menu.

Numbers for the UNIX Connection are all in the (214) area code:

	821-0390, 827-4670, 827-1994, 824-7881.

If you call during the day, you'll have a far better chance of getting through
than at night.
UUCP:     ihnp4!killer!dcs!wnp                 ESL: 62832882
DOMAIN:   wnp@dcs.UUCP                         TLX: 910-280-0585 EES PLANO UD