[comp.unix.microport] Diskette light

bill@carpet.WLK.COM (Bill Kennedy) (06/03/88)

This a a pesky nuisance but maybe someone knows the answer.  From
time to time the floppy drive zero activity light stays on after
V/AT has loaded from the hard disk.  Other times it goes off.  If
I boot DOS from the hard disk it _always_ goes off.  This is a
12MHz AT clone of some kind with a Phoenix BIOS.  Has anyone else
encountered this?  Any suggestions?  Thanks,
--
Bill Kennedy  Internet:  bill@ssbn.WLK.COM
                Usenet:  { killer | att-cb | ihnp4!tness7 }!ssbn!bill

james@bigtex.uucp (James Van Artsdalen) (06/05/88)

IN article <76@carpet.WLK.COM>, bill@carpet.WLK.COM (Bill Kennedy) wrote:
> [...]  From
> time to time the floppy drive zero activity light stays on after
> V/AT has loaded from the hard disk.  Other times it goes off.  If
> I boot DOS from the hard disk it _always_ goes off.  This is a
> 12MHz AT clone of some kind with a Phoenix BIOS.

After a disk access, your BIOS waits a little bit before turning off the
drive.  This is a good thing because it can save startup time if you do a
disk access soon after a previous access, but not right away.  This problem
is that when uPort starts up, it has to disconnect BIOS, and hence BIOS
sometimes never gets a chance to turn the drive motor back off.  What
*should* happen is that uPort should turn off the floppy disk after booting,
but...  I got around this problem in an interesting way.  I deliberately
fragmented my root partition and then re-copied /unix.  I then ran fsck -S
to clean it up again.  The result is that booting takes long enough to let the
floppy drive turn off before unix takes over.  Ugly, but it works...--
James R. Van Artsdalen   ...!ut-sally!utastro!bigtex!james   "Live Free or Die"
Home: 512-346-2444 Work: 328-0282; 110 Wild Basin Rd. Ste #230, Austin TX 78746

hack@bellboy.UUCP (Greg Hackney) (06/05/88)

In article <2490@bigtex.uucp> james@bigtex.UUCP (James Van Artsdalen) writes:
>This problem
>is that when uPort starts up, it has to disconnect BIOS, and hence BIOS
>sometimes never gets a chance to turn the drive motor back off.  What
>*should* happen is that uPort should turn off the floppy disk after booting,
>but...  I got around this problem in an interesting way.  I deliberately
>fragmented my root partition and then re-copied /unix.  I then ran fsck -S
>to clean it up again.  The result is that booting takes long enough to let the
>floppy drive turn off before unix takes over.  Ugly, but it works...--

That's ugly! Wouldn't it work just as well to do something
like this after uPort is up:

echo < /dev/rfd > /dev/null 2>&1

--
Greg

hack@bellboy.UUCP (Greg Hackney) (06/09/88)

>Adding >/dev/rdsk/fd to your MOUNT.rc works and is not ugly at all. Any file
>in /etc/rc.d will do, MOUNT just seemed like the most likely place.

Sounds like a sure way to write over the floppy.