[comp.unix.microport] Smail, etc.

ncegeber@ndsuvax.UUCP (06/04/88)

We finally got around to getting our SysV/AT system talking to the local VAX
through uucp.  Since the 'mail' and 'mailx' programs that come with Microport
don't seem to know about sending mail unless you have a specific path(!), I'd
like to know what else is required to use the 'user\@site.uucp' style
addresses.  I've seen various messages about sendmail, smail, etc. but didn't
pay any attention before.  :-(.

Any help or information about what others have done would be appreciated.
--
Roger Egeberg                 USENET:    ncegeber@ndsuvax.UUCP
NDSU Extension Service        BITNET:    nu062423@ndsuvm1.BITNET

hack@bellboy.UUCP (Greg Hackney) (06/06/88)

In article <971@ndsuvax.UUCP> ncegeber@ndsuvax.UUCP (Roger Egeberg) writes:
>We finally got around to getting our SysV/AT system talking to the local VAX
>through uucp.  Since the 'mail' and 'mailx' programs that come with Microport
>don't seem to know about sending mail unless you have a specific path(!), I'd
>like to know what else is required to use the 'user\@site.uucp' style
>addresses.

You'll need to start by getting the public domain source code "smail".
It has documentation on installation. It essentially replaces your
rmail file with a file that does every thing rmail did plus looks
also looks at a "paths" file to determine routing. It still uses
the existing mail and mailx programs (although mail is moved to
lmail and gets accessed indirectly thru a new mail program).

The latest "smail" package also includes the source code for
the tools to build your "paths" file (pathalias), that is, if you
have a news feed that gets comp.mail.maps. If not, a neighbor
can build a paths file for you.

Get the source code from a neighbor, and look at the docs.
--
Greg

wswietse@eutrc3.UUCP (Wietse Venema) (06/10/88)

In article <971@ndsuvax.UUCP> ncegeber@ndsuvax.UUCP (Roger Egeberg) writes:
<We finally got around to getting our SysV/AT system talking to the local VAX
<through uucp.  Since the 'mail' and 'mailx' programs that come with Microport
<don't seem to know about sending mail unless you have a specific path(!), I'd
<like to know what else is required to use the 'user\@site.uucp' style
<addresses.  I've seen various messages about sendmail, smail, etc. but didn't
<pay any attention before.  :-(.
<
<Any help or information about what others have done would be appreciated.

I have smail 2.5 running here on a few SV/AT systems. It connects
nicely to the suns and ultrix vaxen at this site. I had to make a few
patches to get smail running, and could mail (post?) them on request.

		Wietse
--
uucp:	mcvax!eutrc3!wswietse	| Eindhoven University of Technology
bitnet:	wswietse@heithe5	| Dept. of Mathematics and Computer Science