[comp.unix.microport] Disk error and recovery

larry@focsys.UUCP (Larry Williamson) (06/07/88)

I saw this disk error on my console this morning. Now I'm worried.

Disk I/O Error: Fun: 30  Cy: 220  Hd 4 Sec 12  Status: 51 Estat: 80 Drstat: A4

Since the error is not time stamped, I have no idea when it happened.
Sometime over the weekend is all I know.

I am running a two drive Microport V/AT system.  Drive 0 is a 60Meg
priam ID62/V185 and drive 1 is an 80 Meg Seagate ST4096.

Which drive had the I/O error? What do I do to fix the file that is now
corrupt? How do I find the file that is corrupt? I assume that I should
add this location into the bad sector map, but can I do this now without
re-building the system?

This is the first time I've seen anything like this before. This machine
has been up 24 hours a day since May 16. It would have been up longer
except I installed the cartridge tape drivers on the 16th.

larry

--
Larry Williamson                      Focus Automation Systems
UUCP: watmath!focsys!larry    608 Weber St. N, Waterloo, Ontario N2V 1K4

campbell@maynard.BSW.COM (Larry Campbell) (06/11/88)

In article <180@focsys.UUCP> larry@focsys.UUCP (Larry Williamson) writes:
<>I saw this disk error on my console this morning. Now I'm worried.
<>
<>Disk I/O Error: Fun: 30  Cy: 220  Hd 4 Sec 12  Status: 51 Estat: 80 Drstat: A4
<>
<>Since the error is not time stamped, I have no idea when it happened...
<>I am running a two drive Microport V/AT system.  ...
<>Which drive had the I/O error? What do I do to fix the file that is now
<>corrupt? How do I find the file that is corrupt? I assume that I should
<>add this location into the bad sector map, but can I do this now without
<>re-building the system?

I had the same problem and called Microport.  Their answer (this is no joke!)
was "Just use dd to read the entire disk -- chances are you can reproduce
the error this way, and that'll tell you which disk had the error."
I am serious.  This is what they said.  This is what they call "support".
They also had nothing to say about how to find out which file might have
been affected, and whether the bad sector would be remapped or not.

How much trouble could it be to include the damn drive number in the message??

And they expect people to pay MONEY for this?
--
Larry Campbell                                The Boston Software Works, Inc.
Internet: campbell@maynard.bsw.com          120 Fulton Street, Boston MA 02109

mp1@sdcc12.ucsd.EDU (Leroy Dorman) (06/13/88)

In article <1090@maynard.BSW.COM>, campbell@maynard.BSW.COM (Larry Campbell) writes:
> In article <180@focsys.UUCP> larry@focsys.UUCP (Larry Williamson) writes:
> <>I saw this disk error on my console this morning. Now I'm worried.
> <>
> <>Disk I/O Error: Fun: 30  Cy: 220  Hd 4 Sec 12  Status: 51 Estat: 80 Drstat: A4
> <>
> <>Which drive had the I/O error? What do I do to fix the file that is now
> <>corrupt? How do I find the file that is corrupt? I assume that I should
> <>add this location into the bad sector map, but can I do this now without
> <>re-building the system?
>
> I had the same problem and called Microport.  Their answer (this is no joke!)
> was "Just use dd to read the entire disk -- chances are you can reproduce
> the error this way, and that'll tell you which disk had the error."

> They also had nothing to say about how to find out which file might have
> been affected, and whether the bad sector would be remapped or not.

dd will tell you what disk block (in logical blocks) that has the
problem. Then, fsdb can be used to reattach the badspot someplace else
(like .Badblock in the root directory)  This is, of course, not
trivial.
Why the drive number (even the minor number) isin't there
is really pointless. You might as well not report the error!.

> I am serious.  This is what they said.  This is what they call "support".

They once suggested that I recompile regexp() with 'all the ints changed
to longs' to fix a large model bug.  Highly professional. This warrants
a real scream from the users. This is the '80s, and errors like this and
'Bad Code' diagnostics shouldn't need be tolerated.

Eric Dorman				Kirk- "Wheels, Mr. Spock"
University of California, San Diego	Spock- "A flivver, Captain"
Scripps Institution of Oceanography	  From- A Piece of the Action"
 siolmd!eric@sdsioa.ucsd.edu
 mp1@sdcc12.ucsd.edu  Attn: eric
 dorman@mplvax.nosc.mil  Attn: eric

mg@gritty.UUCP (mitch geier) (06/13/88)

> > <>I saw this disk error on my console this morning. Now I'm worried.
> > <>Disk I/O Error: Fun: 30  Cy: 220  Hd 4 Sec 12  Status: 51 Estat: 80 Drstat: A4
> > <>Which drive had the I/O error? What do I do to fix the file that is now
> > <>corrupt? How do I find the file that is corrupt? I assume that I should
> > <>add this location into the bad sector map, but can I do this now without
> > <>re-building the system?
> >
> > I had the same problem and called Microport.  Their answer (this is no joke!)
> > was "Just use dd to read the entire disk -- chances are you can reproduce
> > the error this way, and that'll tell you which disk had the error."
>
> > They also had nothing to say about how to find out which file might have
> > been affected, and whether the bad sector would be remapped or not.

         part of aritcal omited to save space

> Eric Dorman				Kirk- "Wheels, Mr. Spock"
> University of California, San Diego	Spock- "A flivver, Captain"
> Scripps Institution of Oceanography	  From- A Piece of the Action"
>  siolmd!eric@sdsioa.ucsd.edu
>  mp1@sdcc12.ucsd.edu  Attn: eric
>  dorman@mplvax.nosc.mil  Attn: eric

I have had the same problem using 386 unix but not the same response
from microport they were verry helpfull and I have had little if any
problem getting support.

	1 drstat in the error line will tell you which drive has the
	  problem:
	       	  if the hex byte is AX then it is drive 0
		  if the hex byte is BX then it is drive 1
		  yes X is not a hex char but use your head
		  and substitute any value for X

  	2 I do understand that in the release comming out soon
	  they will fix some of the disk error problems
	  can't say which ones but I'm sure you will be pleased

Mitch Geier
CECG Inc.
{...}!rutgers!gritty!mg