[comp.unix.microport] Permissions file in HD UUCP

narayan@tandem.UUCP (Narayan Mohanram) (06/02/88)

I have the HD UUCP from uport, but there is not documentation for
setting up the Permssions file. Can somebody out there with a
working copy of the permssions file for uucp, and news post
a sample line.

Thanks in advance.

Narayan Mohanram

learn@igloo.UUCP (william vajk) (06/05/88)

In article <374@tandem.UUCP>, narayan@tandem.UUCP (Narayan Mohanram) writes:
> I have the HD UUCP from uport, but there is not documentation for
> setting up the Permssions file. Can somebody out there with a
> working copy of the permssions file for uucp, and news post
> a sample line.

Strange, my copy had all sorts of docs, however....

Be very careful of permitting r and w to / as you have given the
other system some strong permissions. Use tabs to set the spacing.

	MACHINE=OTHER	\
	COMMANDS=akcslink:rmail:rnews:Cakcslink

	LOGNAME=nuucp	\
	REQUEST=yes	SENDFILES=yes

	MACHINE=chinet	\
	REQUEST=yes	SENDFILES=yes

	LOGNAME=a-nodename	\
	REQUEST=yes	SENDFILES=yes \
	READ=/ WRITE=/

Good luck.

Bill Vajk                                              learn@igloo

bear@kuling.UUCP (Bjorn Sjoholm) (06/10/88)

In article <374@tandem.UUCP> narayan@tandem.UUCP (Narayan Mohanram) writes:
>I have the HD UUCP from uport, but there is not documentation for
>setting up the Permssions file.

	True, they don't supply  much documentation for UUCP.

> Can somebody out there with a
>working copy of the permssions file for uucp, and news post
>a sample line.

	Sure, here is ours (with host-names substituted!).
	We communicate with 3 hosts. 'host1' call us and we call them.
	They log in as 'Uhost1'
	'host2' and 'host3' don't call us up, we call them.

	We are able to exchange news with all three hosts, we permit
	file-transfers to and from all three hosts, but only
	from /tmp and /usr/spool/uucppublic.

	Here is the file, hope it helps.

			/Bjorn

# Entry for Host1
LOGNAME=Uhost1 MACHINE=host1 VALIDATE=host1 \
	READ=/tmp:/usr/spool/uucppublic WRITE=/tmp:/usr/spool/uucppublic \
	COMMANDS=rmail:rnews:uucp \
	SENDFILES=yes REQUEST=yes

# Host2 & Host3
MACHINE=host2:host3 \
	READ=/tmp:/usr/spool/uucppublic WRITE=/tmp:/usr/spool/uucppublic \
	COMMANDS=rmail:rnews:uucp \
	REQUEST=yes

--
Bjorn Sjoholm,                  UUCP: bear@stab.se (...!uunet!enea!stab!bear)
Computer Science,               ARPA: enea!stab!bear@uunet.uu.net

bill@carpet.WLK.COM (Bill Kennedy) (06/14/88)

In article <721@kuling.UUCP> bear@stab.se (Bjorn Sjoholm) writes:
>In article <374@tandem.UUCP> narayan@tandem.UUCP (Narayan Mohanram) writes:
>>I have the HD UUCP from uport, but there is not documentation for
>>setting up the Permssions file.

[ most deleted, just adding on, Bjorn's last Permissions entry retained... ]

># Host2 & Host3
>MACHINE=host2:host3 \
>	READ=/tmp:/usr/spool/uucppublic WRITE=/tmp:/usr/spool/uucppublic \
>	COMMANDS=rmail:rnews:uucp \
>	REQUEST=yes

There is another dandy feature that you can put in, it's the MYNAME directive.
This allows you to assume another identity for the session with the machine
you are talking to.  What?  Why do that?  This machine (name is "carpet") is
a luggable that I take with me on the road.  My main system's name is "ssbn".
From time to time I need to do something with one of ssbn's neighbors and I
don't want to ask the SA to have separate identical accounts for carpet and
ssbn.  With MYNAME=ssbn in carpet's Permissions file, each machine behaves
as though ssbn was calling.

There is another practical use for MYNAME.  You can permit controlled access
to your system for many systems by having them use MYNAME.  You give them all
a single log in ID and password and tell them to MYNAME=whatever in their
Permissions.  In your own Permissions file you put a single entry for all of
them, LOGNAME=passwdname VALIDATE=whatever and the specific access you wish
to allow.  I use this to keep an archive for a rather large mailing list.
I have no idea how many different sites use it.  They all use the same log
in ID/password and MYNAME to the same Permissions entry.  I give them fairly
generous READ permissions and fairly strict WRITE and COMMANDS permissions.

MYNAME is also very handy if you need to help debug some other site's uucp
connection.  Your system can masquerade as the other site and you can help
both of them figure out what is going wrong.  I am fairly sure that MYNAME
can be one thing in the MACHINE (we are calling them) and another in the
LOGNAME (they are calling us) entries but I have not tried to be another
name when called, only when calling.

Two more inputs, a feature and a caution.  There is a utility provided
called uucheck.  If you use uucheck with the -v option it will analyze
your Permissions file and tell you, in clear text, how it will be used
by uucico.  It will also tell you if you made an obvious (to it :-)
mistake.  You should not use a changed Permissions file until you have
sent it through uucheck.

Finally, if you have duplicate MACHINE or LOGNAME entries in Permissions
only the first one will be used.  This can get pretty confusing if you
want one form for one "nuucp" and another for another.  In the above style
I have LOGNAME=nuucp VALIDATE=site1:site2:site3:...:siten with a single
set of permissions.  When that doesn't do what I want, I assign another
log in ID (maybe the same or no password) and make another Permissions
entry for it.

Sorry for the length but Permissions is a very undocumented part of HDB
and one of the most useful features in it.  The new edition of the Nutshell
book on managing uucp is very helpful (they call HDB BNU).
--
Bill Kennedy  Internet:  bill@ssbn.WLK.COM
                Usenet:  { killer | att-cb | ihnp4!tness7 }!ssbn!bill

mg@gritty.UUCP (mitch geier) (06/14/88)

Since I have seen so many questions on the Permissions file and
on security floating around in this news group I will tell you all
what microport recomended to me which helped alot

get the book: UNIX system security
          by: Patric H. Wood & Stephen G. Kochan
Published by: hayden

Mitch Geier                {...}!rutgers!gritty!mg
CECG Inc.