[comp.unix.microport] /dev/dos/C -- link to what?

mrspock@hubcap.UUCP (Steve Benz) (06/19/88)

I have a PC-designs ET286i, with a Bell Technologies (really Toshiba)
72M disk.  The disk is rather unimaginatively partitioned, partition 1
is the DOS partition, 2 is the Unix partition.  I'm running uPort 2.2.2.

Several months ago, my hard drive went south and had to be replaced.
Before that time, I had /dev/dos/C linked to something, and by golly,
dosdir & so forth worked as advertised.

When I re-installed on my replacement hard drive (thanks to the good
people at the Bell Tech.) I couldn't, and still can't get /dev/dos/C
linked to the right thing.  (/dev/dos/A and /dev/dos/B work just great.)

I've tried linking /dev/dos/C to /dev/dsk/0s5, /dev/dsk/0s6, and
/dev/dsk/0s7.  None of the others look like the right thing at all.
When I try to do my dosdir, or whatever, it just hangs, with no blinking
from the hard disk light whatsoever.

If anybody wants to offer a possible solution, I'd sure appreciate
it!
				- Steve Benz

markz@ssc.UUCP (Mark Zenier) (06/21/88)

In article <1958@hubcap.UUCP>, mrspock@hubcap.UUCP (Steve Benz) writes:
> I have a PC-designs ET286i, with a Bell Technologies (really Toshiba)
> 72M disk.  The disk is rather unimaginatively partitioned, partition 1
> is the DOS partition, 2 is the Unix partition.  I'm running uPort 2.2.2.

In the partition information from fdisk, the partition numbers go backwards
so you may be using 4 and 3 from uport's point of view.
Use fdisk to display but don't update the partition table. and look up in
the manual section WN(7) for the name for the partition number for the dos.

> I've tried linking /dev/dos/C to /dev/dsk/0s5, /dev/dsk/0s6, and
> /dev/dsk/0s7.

Use rdsk not dsk!

I had to run divvy with the option to rebuild things (-u) before I could
get anything.

Using /dev/rdsk/0s5 with a unrebuilt partition table caused my file system
to be smashed, scrambled, and spread all over the place. I deleted that
node.  That was when I first installed 2.2 .  I recommend using a direct
partition reference /dev/rdsk/0s6, 7, 8, 9

Mark Zenier		Holder of the Cliff Claven chair at the school of
uunet!pilchuck!ssc!markz		Unsubstantiated Opinion

nusip@maccs.UUCP (Mike Borza) (06/25/88)

In article <1276@ssc.UUCP> markz@ssc.UUCP (Mark Zenier) writes:
>In the partition information from fdisk, the partition numbers go backwards
>so you may be using 4 and 3 from uport's point of view.

Yup, the default partitions have DOS set as partition 4, /dev/rdsk/0s9.

>Using /dev/rdsk/0s5 with a unrebuilt partition table caused my file system
>to be smashed, scrambled, and spread all over the place. I deleted that
>node.  That was when I first installed 2.2 .  I recommend using a direct
>partition reference /dev/rdsk/0s6, 7, 8, 9

Under rel. 2.2, /dev/rdsk/0s5 was *supposed* to be the DOS partition
according to WN(7), but the 2.2 release notes stated that this wouldn't
work.  The solution was to use /dev/rdsk/0s9.  /dev/rdsk/0s5 does work
in the 2.3 release.  When I first installed SV/AT 2.2 on a system with
a Priam 60 MB, I had all kinds of problems with munged filesystems.  I
ultimately resolved these by scanning for bad blocks with fdisk (Unix
partition only).  Fdisk did find bad blocks which weren't in the bad
block table.  Unfortunately, I still had problems reading particular
directories in the DOS partition.  These were ultimately resolved by
backing up the entire disk (DOS and Unix partitions), then using the
advanced disk maintenance utility supplied with the Priam drive to
rebuild the bad block table.  A tedious restore followed, but I've had
no problems since.

--mike borza.