[comp.unix.microport] Second Disk Controller in an IBM AT clone

egs@killer.UUCP (Eric Schnoebelen) (06/07/88)

Help!
	I have a desire to add a second hard disk controller to my IBM PC/AT
compatible system.  I have a spare true blue IBM hard/floppy disk controller
to use in the installation.  What I would like to know is:
	1) Is this possible ( the microport adddisk program seems to indicate
			   that it is )?
	2) What what are the jumper settings for a true blue board to do this?
		( part no. 68x3756, assy. # 61-031099-00 )
		( assuming #1 is true ).

	Thanks in Advance
		Eric Schnoebelen
		John W. Bridges & Associates, Inc.
		Lewisville, Tx
		...!killer!u-word!egs

( sorry, no cute disclaimer, I cant think of one... )

Robert_Bruce_Ferrell@cup.portal.com (06/08/88)

How about a second (or more ;-}) controller in a no-name xt-clone?

walt_waldo_novinger@cup.portal.com (06/27/88)

I, too, would like to add a second *floppy* controller to my 286 clone.
I have four floppy-type devices (1.2MB, 360K, 3.5" 720K, and tape) which
I would like to have on-line simultaneously. Can a second floppy controller
be installed under DOS 3.2X? If so, where would I obtain the appropriate
drivers and info on how to install them?

Thanks in advance!

Walt Novinger            sun!cup.portal.com!waldo    "The real world is
680 Sylvan Ave. #17      walt@plx.UUCP sun!plx!walt   NOT user-friendly"
Mountain View, CA 94041  (415) 964-9377                 Kelvin Throop

fyl@ssc.UUCP (Phil Hughes) (07/01/88)

In article <6895@cup.portal.com>, walt_waldo_novinger@cup.portal.com writes:
> I, too, would like to add a second *floppy* controller to my 286 clone.
> I have four floppy-type devices (1.2MB, 360K, 3.5" 720K, and tape) which
> I would like to have on-line simultaneously.

You should be able to install a 4 floppy controller and a separate
winchester controller.  At least I hope so as I have them on order.
Western digital makes them.  The numbers are WD1002-FOX-FOO4 for
the 4-floppy controller and WD1003WAH for an MFM winchester controller.
The WD1006-WAH is another choice which offers 1:1 interleave

--
Phil    uunet!pilchuck!ssc!fyl

plocher@uport.UUCP (John Plocher) (07/11/88)

In article <1302@ssc.UUCP> fyl@ssc.UUCP (Phil Hughes) writes:
>In article <6895@cup.portal.com>, walt_waldo_novinger@cup.portal.com writes:
>> I have four floppy-type devices (1.2MB, 360K, 3.5" 720K, and tape) which
>> I would like to have on-line simultaneously.
>
>You should be able to install a 4 floppy controller and a separate
>winchester controller.  At least I hope so as I have them on order.

Note that with Microport Unix as of 286 version V/AT 2.3 (and 2.4 when
released), as well as V/386 version 2.2 (and 3.0 when released) will
not support more than 2 floppy disks.

  -John Plocher