[comp.unix.microport] 2-drive bug fix

mdg@uport.UUCP (Marc de Groot) (06/14/88)

The 2-drive bug is a prticularly nasty bug to fix.  There are several
different failure modes for this bug.  I have found a fix for at least one
of these failure modes, and I have put a copy of the hard disk driver object
code on the Microport BBS.  The code is for System V/AT (80286) only.

The code is in the /usr/spool/uucppublic/hd directory and is available
via anonymous UUCP.

If you are one of the unfortunates who has experienced the 2-drive bug,
I would appreciate you downloading the new driver and giving it a try.
If the code does not work, please drop me a line or call me at Microport.
I intend to fix *all* failure modes for this particular bug.

There is a README file in the directory that explains how to install the
new driver in the link kit and create a new kernel, for those of
you who are unfamiliar with the procedure.

Please note, this code is not guaranteed to work.  It is strictly experimental.

Obligatory disclaimer:
THE CODE IS PROVIDED AS IS, WITH NO WARRANTY AS TO ITS FITNESS FOR ANY PURPOSE.

Thanks in advance to all of you who try it out.

							Marc de Groot
							Senior Engineer

--
Marc de Groot (KG6KF)	| UUCP: {hplabs, sun, ucbvax}!amdcad!uport!mdg
Microport Systems, Inc.	| 	uunet!uport!mdg

david@bdt.UUCP (David Beckemeyer) (06/30/88)

In article <355@uport.UUCP> mdg@uport.UUCP (Marc de Groot) writes:
>If you are one of the unfortunates who has experienced the 2-drive bug,
>I would appreciate you downloading the new driver and giving it a try.
>If the code does not work, please drop me a line or call me at Microport.
>I intend to fix *all* failure modes for this particular bug.
>
>							Marc de Groot
>							Senior Engineer

Marc used my machine to produce one form of the bug and to develop
these new drivers.   Now I call Microport only to find out that he no
longer works for the company!   I wish him well... But now who do we talk
to about this problem?   I get the feeling that Microport would like to
forget that they ever produced a 286 product!

These new drivers did help with the problem I had, where there were some
strange spurrious HD errors.   The new problem is that now the machine
hangs when there is a "real" HD error.  Oh well.

--
David Beckemeyer (david@bdt.uucp)	| "Yea I've got medicine..." as the
Beckemeyer Development Tools		| cookie cocks a his Colt, "and if

vandys@hpisoa1.HP.COM (Andrew Valencia) (07/07/88)

/ hpisoa1:comp.unix.microport / david@bdt.UUCP (David Beckemeyer) /  5:18 pm  Jun 29, 1988 /
>Marc used my machine to produce one form of the bug and to develop
>these new drivers.   Now I call Microport only to find out that he no
>longer works for the company!   I wish him well... But now who do we talk
>to about this problem?   I get the feeling that Microport would like to
>forget that they ever produced a 286 product!

    Does anybody know where he went?  Hey, Marc--gimme a ring!

			...Andy
			{anywhere, damn near}!hplabs!hpisoa1!vandys

plocher@uport.UUCP (John Plocher) (07/11/88)

Me.  plocher@uport  I am the Usenet <=> Microport 'gateway'.

>>forget that they ever produced a 286 product!

What 286 product :-))))))  Really, we *do* have an engineer working
full time on re-doing the hd driver.  We have *not* abandoned work on
the driver.

If you have questions, bugs, complaints, or just itchy typing fingers,
feel free to write.

	-John Plocher