[comp.unix.microport] Where can I find ksh/286

toma@killer.UUCP (Tom Armistead) (07/05/88)

A question for the masses:
	Where can I get ksh for uPort 286/AT? A phone number or mailing
	address or something???

	Is there a uPort (386-specific) ksh???

Thanks,
Tom

johnk@ihlpl.ATT.COM (John Kennedy) (07/06/88)

In article <4700@killer.UUCP>, toma@killer.UUCP (Tom Armistead) writes:
> A question for the masses:
> 	Where can I get ksh for uPort 286/AT? A phone number or mailing
> 	address or something???
>
> 	Is there a uPort (386-specific) ksh???
>

> Thanks,
> Tom

I called uPort this week, looking for a 286-based ksh.  They sell one
for the 386, but say they don't have one for the 286.

So, does anyone make a Korn shell for the 286???

--

karl@ddsw1.UUCP (Karl Denninger) (07/07/88)

In article <4700@killer.UUCP> toma@killer.UUCP (Tom Armistead) writes:
>A question for the masses:
>	Where can I get ksh for uPort 286/AT? A phone number or mailing
>	address or something???

Try Aspen Technologies -- I understand they sell a licensed port.

>	Is there a uPort (386-specific) ksh???

It is included in the development system for the '386 version.

--
Karl Denninger (ddsw1!karl) Data: (312) 566-8912, Voice: (312) 566-8910
Macro Computer Solutions, Inc.    "Quality solutions at a fair price"

" Maynard) (07/07/88)

In article <5674@ihlpl.ATT.COM> johnk@ihlpl.ATT.COM (John Kennedy) writes:
>In article <4700@killer.UUCP>, toma@killer.UUCP (Tom Armistead) writes:
>> 	Where can I get ksh for uPort 286/AT? A phone number or mailing
>> 	address or something???
>I called uPort this week, looking for a 286-based ksh.  They sell one
>for the 386, but say they don't have one for the 286.

Huh??! There's a 286 ksh available for download on Microport's BBS. All
you have to do to download it is to sign up, and wait a day or so to be
validated. I have it, and it appears to work.

This brings up another question (yes, I know it's been asked, but I
don't remember the answer): There's no documentation available from
Microport (that I could find). Where do I find a good book on ksh?

--
Jay Maynard, EMT-P, K5ZC...>splut!< | Never ascribe to malice that which can
uucp:       uunet!nuchat!           | adequately be explained by stupidity.

wtr@moss.ATT.COM (07/07/88)

In article <5674@ihlpl.ATT.COM> johnk@ihlpl.ATT.COM (John Kennedy) writes:

>I called uPort this week, looking for a 286-based ksh.  They sell one
>for the 386, but say they don't have one for the 286.
>
>So, does anyone make a Korn shell for the 286???

WAIT A MINUTE?

The Microport BBS has the 286 executable of ksh which you can
download for the price of the phone call.  I did this myself
about 2 weeks ago, and the last time I logged in there last
week, they still had it.

They also have lots and lots of good PD software already ported
over to SV/AT.  If you'd like to go shopping, give them a call.

Below is the contents of a letter i sent to Tom (???) the
original poster of this question.

ksh for SV/AT is available as a downloadable executable.
source is not public domain and not available from uport.
ksh only supports the VI command line sequence, no emacs.
(ksh had to be compiled in small model and both couldn't be
fit into 64K :-(

in order to download, you must call up the bbs, login, and
register your copy by giving them the serial number off of
your boot disk.  in a few days (hopefuly) you will be able
to call up and download any files you want.

i highly suggest doing this.  the bbs not only has lots of
very good public domain utilities (less, 16-bit compress,
larry wall's patch and rn, etc,... ) but also this is where
they post patches and fixes for the kernal and utilities.
in any case, call up and browse around, you can send
messages to john sully, or other microport people, and also
read about other peoples problems.

the phone numbers are:
		408-438-6567 (2400/1200/300)
		408-438-6687 (2400/1200/300)
		408-438-2492 (1200/300)

i hope this helps!

Bill Rankin
Bell Labs, Whippany NJ
(201) 386-4154 (cornet 232)

email address:		...![ ihnp4 ulysses cbosgd allegra ]!moss!wtr
			...![ ihnp4 cbosgd akgua watmath  ]!clyde!wtr

wes@obie.UUCP (Barnacle Wes) (07/07/88)

In article <4700@killer.UUCP>, toma@killer.UUCP (Tom Armistead) writes:
> 	Where can I get ksh for uPort 286/AT? A phone number or mailing
> 	address or something???

Mortice Kern Systems sells their "MKS Trilogy" for System V/AT for $119.
It includes the ksh, MKS awk, and MKS crypt, which supports both DES and
the Enigma rotor machine algorithms.  They accept AmEx, M/C, and Visa.
+1 800 265 2797.

Source: Add on p. 48 of July, 1988 _Unix Review_

--
                     {hpda, uwmcsd1}!sp7040!obie!wes
           "Happiness lies in being priviledged to work hard for

jmsully@uport.UUCP (John M. Sully) (07/07/88)

In article <5674@ihlpl.ATT.COM> johnk@ihlpl.ATT.COM (John Kennedy) writes:
>I called uPort this week, looking for a 286-based ksh.  They sell one
>for the 386, but say they don't have one for the 286.

I don't know who you talked to, but the information is most certainly wrong!
A 286 ksh is available on the uport BBS (408-438-6567,6687,1680 -- no doc
at the present however) and it will be shipped as part of the next release
of the software development system.

John

plocher@uport.UUCP (John Plocher) (07/08/88)

In article <4700@killer.UUCP> toma@killer.UUCP (Tom Armistead) writes:
>A question for the masses:
>	Where can I get ksh for uPort 286/AT? A phone number or mailing
>	address or something???

It is included on the 2.3 SDS disks which were shipped with version 2.3
V/AT.   Call your sales rep for details

>	Is there a uPort (386-specific) ksh???

It is also shipped with the 386 SDS.

tkevans@fallst.UUCP (Tim Evans) (07/08/88)

In article <5674@ihlpl.ATT.COM>, johnk@ihlpl.ATT.COM (John Kennedy) writes:
> In article <4700@killer.UUCP>, toma@killer.UUCP (Tom Armistead) writes:
> > A question for the masses:
> > 	Where can I get ksh for uPort 286/AT? A phone number or mailing
> > 	address or something???
> --

Last time I looked, there was something called 'ksh' available for down-

					Tim Evans
UUCP:	 ...!{rutgers|ames|uunet}!mimsy!aplcen!wb3ffv!fallst!tkevans
OTHER:	 ...!attmail!fallst!tkevans
US MAIL: 2201 Brookhaven Court, Fallston, MD  21047
PHONE:	 (301) 965-3286

nat@bales.UUCP (Nathaniel Stitt) (07/09/88)

In article <363@uport.UUCP> @uport.UUCP (John Plocher) writes:
>In article <4700@killer.UUCP> toma@killer.UUCP (Tom Armistead) writes:
>>	Is there a uPort (386-specific) ksh???
>
>It is also shipped with the 386 SDS.

The 386 ksh line edit mode only seems to work in "vi" mode, and not "emacs"
mode.  Does the 286 ksh on the mport bbs have a working "emacs" mode?

nat@bales.uucp

--
Nathaniel Stitt           | This life is a test.  It is only a test.  Had
Guidelines Software, Inc. | this been an actual life, you would have received

" Maynard) (07/09/88)

In article <363@uport.UUCP> @uport.UUCP (John Plocher) writes:
>[...re 286 ksh...]
>It is included on the 2.3 SDS disks which were shipped with version 2.3
>V/AT.   Call your sales rep for details

It wasn't with my 2.3 upgrade...

--
Jay Maynard, EMT-P, K5ZC...>splut!< | Never ascribe to malice that which can
uucp:       uunet!nuchat!           | adequately be explained by stupidity.
   hoptoad!academ!uhnix1!splut!jay  +----------------------------------------
{killer,bellcore}!tness1!           | Birthright Party '88: let's get spaced!

richardh@killer.UUCP (Richard Hargrove) (07/09/88)

(with regard to a Microport distribution of ksh)
In article <363@uport.UUCP>, plocher@uport.UUCP (John Plocher) writes:
> It is included on the 2.3 SDS disks which were shipped with version 2.3
> V/AT.   Call your sales rep for details

What 2.3 SDS? My 2.3 upgrade made minimal changes to the SDS and certainly
included no copy of ksh!

Is this possibly a misguided reference to 2.3.1, which, as regular readers
know, was discussed in this group only a few weeks ago? The one erroneously
described as being in distribution when it is, in fact, still in beta test?

richard hargrove
...!{ihnp4 | codas | cbosgd}!killer!richardh

bowles@lll-crg.llnl.gov (Jeff Bowles) (07/11/88)

In article <87@obie.UUCP> wes@obie.UUCP (Barnacle Wes) writes:
>In article <4700@killer.UUCP>, toma@killer.UUCP (Tom Armistead) writes:
>> 	Where can I get ksh for uPort 286/AT? A phone number or mailing
>> 	address or something???
>
>Mortice Kern Systems sells their "MKS Trilogy" for System V/AT for $119.
>It includes the ksh, MKS awk, and MKS crypt, which supports both DES and
>the Enigma rotor machine algorithms.  They accept AmEx, M/C, and Visa.
>+1 800 265 2797.

I am a little familiar with one of MKS's products --- they sell an MS-DOS
toolkit that includes the three things about, in addition to the wealth
of Unix tools you would normally use to write shell scripts:
	sort/comm/uniq/grep/cut/paste/...

Although my network disk doesn't entirely like the ksh sometimes, I find
that MKS's toolkit makes my life (and more, the life of a coworker stuck
on MS-DOS) much easier. Plus, their price is very good.

If the '386 tools are anywhere close, it's worth spending the $119 to
get a copy to evaluate.

	Jeff Bowles

ps. I'll gladly send a longer, more glowing recommendation via e-mail,
but don't want to waste Usenix bandwidth.

wnp@dcs.UUCP (Wolf N. Paul) (07/12/88)

In article <10075@lll-winken.llnl.gov> bowles@lll-crg.llnl.gov.UUCP (Jeff Bowles) writes:
>In article <87@obie.UUCP> wes@obie.UUCP (Barnacle Wes) writes:
>>In article <4700@killer.UUCP>, toma@killer.UUCP (Tom Armistead) writes:
>>> 	Where can I get ksh for uPort 286/AT? A phone number or mailing
>>Mortice Kern Systems sells their "MKS Trilogy" for System V/AT for $119.
>I am a little familiar with one of MKS's products --- they sell an MS-DOS
>toolkit that includes the three things about, in addition to the wealth
>of Unix tools you would normally use to write shell scripts:
>If the '386 tools are anywhere close, it's worth spending the $119 to
>get a copy to evaluate.

1. The MKS Trilogy, last I looked at their ads, was for System V/AT, which is
   the '286 product, rather than the '386.

2. I have a beta version of the MKS Trilogy (I sent in my bug reports but never
   got a reply or acknowledgement, so I'm a bit miffed) -- their ksh is larger
   than the ksh on uport's BBS, loads MUCH SLOWER, and burps on some of the
   Bourne scripts in /bin (i.e. basename). I don't know whether these things got
   fixed since they never acknowledged my bug reports.

3. What version of the toolkit are you using on your network? Supposedly
   Release 2.3 (out about 1 1/2 months) fixed network problems.

Wolf Paul
UUCP:     killer!dcs!wnp                 ESL: 62832882
DOMAIN:   wnp@dcs.UUCP                   TLX: 910-380-0585 EES PLANO UD