[comp.unix.microport] ELM on 286 System V/AT

david@bdt.UUCP (David Beckemeyer) (07/08/88)

A while back I posted asking for working ELM sources for the 286
version of Microport System V/AT.   I was told they were available
from the uport BBS.  I got the ELM that was on the BBS, but it doesn't
have any Microport/286 specific instructions at all.

The Configure.sh doesn't know how to make Makefiles that work.  It
tries to use -ltermcap and has no provision for using -lcurses instead.
It doesn't know that elm is too large for small model and needs the
-Ml option in CFLAGS.   It appears to be the standard vanilla ELM.

Why is it available on the BBS if it isn't meant to work with Microport's
version of UNIX?  If it does work, why isn't there anything to configure it
for Microport System V/AT included in the package?  Why should I go to
the special effort to call Scotts Valley to get the version from Microport's
BBS if it isn't even a version that works with Microport UNIX?  Especially
considering I can get the standard ELM locally.

What's going on?  Does the ELM on Microport's BBS work with Microport System
V/AT or not?  Thanks for helping if you can.
--
David Beckemeyer (david@bdt.uucp)	| "Yea I've got medicine..." as the
Beckemeyer Development Tools		| cookie cocks a his Colt, "and if

wnp@dcs.UUCP (Wolf N. Paul) (07/11/88)

In article <343@bdt.UUCP> david@bdt.UUCP (David Beckemeyer) writes:

>A while back I posted asking for working ELM sources for the 286
>version of Microport System V/AT.   I was told they were available
>from the uport BBS.  I got the ELM that was on the BBS, but it doesn't
>have any Microport/286 specific instructions at all.
>
>Why is it available on the BBS if it isn't meant to work with Microport's
>version of UNIX?  If it does work, why isn't there anything to configure it
>for Microport System V/AT included in the package?  Why should I go to
>the special effort to call Scotts Valley to get the version from Microport's
>BBS if it isn't even a version that works with Microport UNIX?  Especially
>considering I can get the standard ELM locally.

It is my understanding that the stuff in the "UNIX" file area on the Uport
BBS is provided "as is" -- i.e. Uport does not guarantee or support it, it
might work on V/AT, or it might only work on V/386, or it might need some
effort to work on either.

You really only have a complaint against Uport if it was someone "@uport"
who directed you to the BBS for the elm source; otherwise you need to flame
the person who directed you there without knowing what he was talking about.

It might help (John Sully are you listening?) if the UNIX file section on
the Uport BBS were replaced with two sections, PD-286 and PD-386, containing
source which has specifically been ported to one or the other Uport product.

I'm sure someone at Uport (or maybe a volunteer each for 286 and 386?) could
at least verify that something compiles without error messages before putting
it into the respective area. Maybe Uport can provide a couple of such volunteers
with "proper" UNIX logins to their system.

Another useful feature would be a mail-based fileserver for those of us
farther away from Scotts Valley than even David is (I'm in the Dallas area,
and unless I call during the daytime ($$$) a PCP connection takes about
40 minutes to establish) -- I know wisner@killer was running something like
this on killer for a while.

Wolf Paul
UUCP:     killer!dcs!wnp                 ESL: 62832882
DOMAIN:   wnp@dcs.UUCP                   TLX: 910-380-0585 EES PLANO UD

plocher@uport.UUCP (John Plocher) (07/11/88)

In article <343@bdt.UUCP> david@bdt.UUCP (David Beckemeyer) writes:
>What's going on?  Does the ELM on Microport's BBS work with Microport System
>V/AT or not?  Thanks for helping if you can.

I will look into this - if it is the wrong version I will replace it with
the correct one and let you know.

 -John Plocher

david@bdt.UUCP (David Beckemeyer) (07/14/88)

I made some hacks (and I do mean hacks) to the ELM sources taken
from the uport BBS and it seems fairly stable, although it has only
been in use here for about 5 days.   I fixed *a lot* of bugs.  The
code claims to be V1.5 of ELM.

My understanding is that the next official release of ELM will
support uport 286.  But if anyone is interested in the version
I have hacked, just let me know.