[comp.unix.microport] LOGITECH Bus Mouse & DOSMERGE??

pjh@mccc.UUCP (Pete Holsberg) (07/06/88)

My Logitech Bus mouse seems to work OK when I boot my 386 from a DOS
floppy, but when I invoke MOUSE.CM from within DOSMERGE, the Logitech
info box is displayed and then the system is hung.  Is this mouse
incompatible with MERGE?  Is there something I can do to make them work
together?

I will have Ventura Publisher in my DOS partition.  Is there something I
canm do there with the mouse s/w??

I'll summarize email responses.

Thanks.

lindsay@dscatl.UUCP (Lindsay Cleveland) (07/07/88)

In article <720@mccc.UUCP>, pjh@mccc.UUCP (Pete Holsberg) writes:

> My Logitech Bus mouse seems to work OK when I boot my 386 from a DOS
> floppy, but when I invoke MOUSE.CM from within DOSMERGE, the Logitech
> info box is displayed and then the system is hung.  Is this mouse
> incompatible with MERGE?  Is there something I can do to make them work
> together?

It sounds like UNIX is waiting for an interrupt from the mouse driver
circuit card.

You didn't mention...what interrupt line is your mouse set for?
Is it the same as one of the other cards in your 386?  (If
so...interrupt handler gets confused.)  Is it a
value beyond that of the standard "/system5" kernel?  If so, did
you create a new kernel (using linkkit) to handle the higher value?

A bit more information might help.

Cheers,
  Lindsay

Lindsay Cleveland         Digital Systems Co.   Atlanta, Ga
  gatech!dscatl!lindsay     (404) 497-1902
                         (U.S. Mail:  PO Box 1140, Duluth, GA  30136)

rickers@drexel.UUCP (Rick Wargo) (07/07/88)

In article <720@mccc.UUCP> pjh@mccc.UUCP (Pete Holsberg) writes:
>My Logitech Bus mouse seems to work OK when I boot my 386 from a DOS
>floppy, but when I invoke MOUSE.CM from within DOSMERGE, the Logitech
>info box is displayed and then the system is hung.  Is this mouse
>incompatible with MERGE?  Is there something I can do to make them work
>together?

I too have the same problem, although I have only crashed the system once.
I am running Microport SysV/386 with DOS Merge 386 1.0.  I have also had the
mouse function properly once, and that was after I booted DOS, loaded the mouse
driver and used the mouse, and then rebooted UNIX and dos'sed into Merge 386
and Wala - it worked.  But when I quit and tried to `dos' again....nope.
I get random movements on the screen sometimes (using the PT editor), that
is when I am able to get the mouse driver to load (using mouse.com).
Once, trying `dos +afega' I obtained a spectacular crash.  I guess it went
into EGA mode and scribble gibberish on the screen, and the UNIX stopped
functioning.  I've tried using MODE COM1:...  and
sleep < /dev/tty00 & ; stty 2400 ... < /dev/tty00  and still can't get it
to work.  Does anyone have any ideas???.   Thanks In Advance.

							Rickers
							..!drexel!rickers

pjh@mccc.UUCP (Pete Holsberg) (07/09/88)

In article <8009@dscatl.UUCP> lindsay@dscatl.UUCP (Lindsay Cleveland) writes:
...In article <720@mccc.UUCP>, pjh@mccc.UUCP (Pete Holsberg) writes:
...>
...> My Logitech Bus mouse seems to work OK when I boot my 386 from a DOS
...> floppy, but when I invoke MOUSE.CM from within DOSMERGE, the Logitech
...> info box is displayed and then the system is hung.  Is this mouse
...> incompatible with MERGE?  Is there something I can do to make them work
...> together?
...>
...It sounds like UNIX is waiting for an interrupt from the mouse driver
...circuit card.
...You didn't mention...what interrupt line is your mouse set for?

I used "interrupt setting 2" which according to the LogiTech
installation manual is "extended interrupt" for an IBM AT.

...Is it the same as one of the other cards in your 386?  (If
...so...interrupt handler gets confused.)

I don't see how it could be.  I've avoide the COM IRQs and the printer
#2 IRQ.  NO idea whatever else is being used.

...Is it a
...value beyond that of the standard "/system5" kernel?  If so, did
...you create a new kernel (using linkkit) to handle the higher value?

No idea if it's beyond the std kernel, and no, I did't create a new one.
 Can you point me to a p;ace I can read up on this, or perhaps you'd be
willing to mail me a short tutorial??
...A bit more information might help.
...Cheers,
...  Lindsay
...Lindsay Cleveland         Digital Systems Co.   Atlanta, Ga
...  gatech!dscatl!lindsay     (404) 497-1902
...                         (U.S. Mail:  PO Box 1140, Duluth, GA  30136)

Thanks for your response.

plocher@uport.UUCP (John Plocher) (07/11/88)

In article <8009@dscatl.UUCP> lindsay@dscatl.UUCP (Lindsay Cleveland) writes:
>In article <720@mccc.UUCP>, pjh@mccc.UUCP (Pete Holsberg) writes:
>>
>> My Logitech Bus mouse seems to work OK when I boot my 386 from a DOS
>
>It sounds like UNIX is waiting for an interrupt from the mouse driver
>circuit card.

Be sure to assign the mouse interrupt to the dos task (see the man page for
assign)  Otherwise Unix will try to handle things (and get confused)

	-John

pjh@mccc.UUCP (Pete Holsberg) (07/14/88)

...Be sure to assign the mouse interrupt to the dos task (see the man page for
...assign)  Otherwise Unix will try to handle things (and get confused)
...	-John

In looking through all of the Merge 386 docs (Release Notes, Getting
Started, Administrator's Manual, and User's Manual -- no Advanced User's
Manual, no Manual Pages), I see no "man page for assign".  Could you be
more specific?  Logitech advises using interrupt setting 5 for an IBM
AT.  The board address is 23C to 23F (hex).

Thanks,
Pete