[comp.unix.microport] news patches

beattie@visenix.UUCP (Brian Beattie) (07/20/88)

could some kind soul mail me the patches to get
the news to work under microport System V/AT 2.2?

I have most of it working but vnews keeps dumping core.

Thanx beattie

Brian Beattie
11525 Hickory Cluster
Reston, VA. 22090
(703)471-7552          ...uunet!visenix!beattie

trevor@trevan.UUCP (trevor) (07/25/88)

In article <175@visenix.UUCP>, beattie@visenix.UUCP (Brian Beattie) writes:
> could some kind soul mail me the patches to get
> the news to work under microport System V/AT 2.2?
>
> I have most of it working but vnews keeps dumping core.

I have found 2 bugs in my news 2.11 running on microport 286:

1	Pathinit.c has some uninitialised pointers, in particular PATHSYSNAME
	which results in a memory error when expire calls hread in header.c.
	It falls over at the label strip:.

2	Readnews and Vnews will dump core if there are a large number of
	newsgroups on the newsgroups line

The first I cured by initializing the char pointers in pathinit to null
strings. I have not been able to track down the cause of the other problem
but what I do is to use vnews with each newsgroup in turn until the offending
one is found. Then I look through the articals with vi and edit the newsgroup
lines which are very long. I suspect there is a buffer which is not long
enough for these monstrosities.