[comp.unix.microport] Uport getty/login and replacements

wnp@dcs.UUCP (Wolf N. Paul) (07/24/88)

In article <4334@rpp386.UUCP> jfh@rpp386.UUCP (The Beach Bum) writes:
>if you are unfortunate enough to be stuck with micropoor unix and its
>perverse getty, you are in real trouble.  i understand installing your
>own version of getty is very difficult.  you know what they say, "surf
>sco or go home" (sorry eric)

Here are some comments on getty and login on Microport Unix System V/AT:

Contrary to popular belief, it is possible to use a custom getty and login
under System V/AT.

To put it briefly, ONLY ON THE CONSOLE do you have to run Microport's getty,
or the system complains when going multiuser.

I am using both a custom getty and a custom login program on all of my
virtual consoles as well as on serial ports.

I am running under the unlimited user license, so this presents no legal
problems; if you have the limited license, your license agreement states
that you must not make any changes which permit more than one serial port
login in addition to any logins on the virtual consoles or a total of two
logins on serial ports.

Thus your getty/login programs would have to safeguard this to be legally
in the clear.

Technically, even the limited-license version of the system will work with
custom getty and login, and allow unlimited logins.

In effect, since the check for number of logins takes place only at login time,
if the system is not aware that you are running a getty on a line, it can't
complain about additional users. Since you have to use the original getty for
the console, your custom getty won't be called getty, and thus init and the
kernel are unaware of what you are doing and don't complain.

Wolf Paul
UUCP:     killer!dcs!wnp                 ESL: 62832882
DOMAIN:   wnp@dcs.UUCP                   TLX: 910-380-0585 EES PLANO UD

james@bigtex.uucp (James Van Artsdalen) (07/25/88)

IN article <151@dcs.UUCP>, wnp@dcs.UUCP (Wolf N. Paul) wrote:
> I am running under the unlimited user license, so this presents no legal
> problems; if you have the limited license, your license agreement states
> that you must not make any changes which permit more than one serial port
> login in addition to any logins on the virtual consoles or a total of two
> logins on serial ports.

This license prohibition is unenforceable under the Vault v. Quaid
decision handed down by the 5th Circuit Court of Appeals last month.
Indeed, you are free to make useful changes to the binaries.
Specifically, such clauses are in violation of 17 U.S.C. section 117.

This doesn't mean it's legal or ethical to have more than two logins.
It just means you may hack login, getty or the kernel itself to your
heart's content.
--
James R. Van Artsdalen   ...!ut-sally!utastro!bigtex!james   "Live Free or Die"
Home: 512-346-2444 Work: 328-0282; 110 Wild Basin Rd. Ste #230, Austin TX 78746