[comp.unix.microport] floating point fault causes system crash

johnl@n3dmc.UU.NET (John Limpert) (07/25/88)

I've run into a problem with Microport System V/AT 2.3 on an AT clone
(no 80287).  Floating point faults cause the system to crash.  For some
reason it only seems to happen after the second fault.  Is this a bug in
Microport's kernel and FP software? I've been trying to run the paranoia
FP test program, it seems to be doing an excellent job of uncovering FP
problems!

--
John A. Limpert
UUCP:	johnl@n3dmc.UUCP, johnl@n3dmc.UU.NET, uunet!n3dmc!johnl

markz@ssc.UUCP (Mark Zenier) (07/26/88)

In article <392@n3dmc.UU.NET>, johnl@n3dmc.UU.NET (John Limpert) writes:

> I've run into a problem with Microport System V/AT 2.3 on an AT clone
> (no 80287).  Floating point faults cause the system to crash.  For some
> reason it only seems to happen after the second fault.  Is this a bug in
> Microport's kernel and FP software?  ...

It's the first bug on the Microport bug list.  The C compiler produces
crap with floating point array or pointer expressions, and the floating
point emulator tries to use this.  Since the emulator is in the kernel,
the whole system dies.

I have the same problem.  Will getting a 80287 stop the system crash?

Mark Zenier	uunet!pilchuck!ssc!markz
LOGGERMIST CROTEHAVEN