[comp.unix.microport] Bell Tech Pricing

martin@littlei.UUCP (martin) (06/30/88)

With all the discussion recently about unix for 386 flavorings I decided
to do some price getting.  Bell Tech has been advertising Unix in almost
all of the Unix trade rags.  The add says "UNIX for as low as $145".  After
hearing about the price hikes for Microport and other vendors, it sounded
cheap.  I called the folks up and asked them how much for just a software
distribution (not the X package or additional non-v.3.? packages).  They
told me $235.  I asked them what I could get for the advertised price of
$145 and they said "Just the AT&T license".  Well that does alot of good!
I can't insert the license into the PC and boot it... (humor).  Currently
they are only shipping v.3.0 with 3.1 due out at the end of July.

I thought that I would pass this on to fellow netters.

---- These are the thoughts of myself no my employer ----

                  _/_          |
 ______  __.  __  /  o ____    |  textronix!reed!littlei!zeus:martin
/ / / <_(_/|_/ (_<__<_/ / <    |

sl@van-bc.UUCP (pri=-10 Stuart Lynne) (07/01/88)

In article <294@gandalf.littlei.UUCP> martin@littlei.UUCP (martin) writes:
>With all the discussion recently about unix for 386 flavorings I decided
>to do some price getting.  Bell Tech has been advertising Unix in almost

>told me $235.  I asked them what I could get for the advertised price of
>$145 and they said "Just the AT&T license".  Well that does alot of good!
>I can't insert the license into the PC and boot it... (humor).  Currently
>they are only shipping v.3.0 with 3.1 due out at the end of July.

What it is good for is letting you only pay for the distribution costs once
if you need to put it on more than one machine. I.e. when buying for a
network your cost is:

	$ = (n-1) * $145 + $235

Or a net savings of $90 per machine. You only take delivery of one physical
copy but get to install it as many times as you have paid for. Sounds like a
good deal for larger companies or universities.

--
Stuart.Lynne@wimsey.bc.ca {ubc-cs,uunet}!van-bc!sl     Vancouver,BC,604-937-7532

dar@belltec.UUCP (Dimitri Rotow) (07/06/88)

In article <294@gandalf.littlei.UUCP>, martin@littlei.UUCP (martin) writes:
> With all the discussion recently about unix for 386 flavorings I decided
> to do some price getting.  Bell Tech has been advertising Unix in almost
> all of the Unix trade rags.  The add says "UNIX for as low as $145".  After
> hearing about the price hikes for Microport and other vendors, it sounded
> cheap.  I called the folks up and asked them how much for just a software
> distribution (not the X package or additional non-v.3.? packages).  They
> told me $235.  I asked them what I could get for the advertised price of
> $145 and they said "Just the AT&T license".  Well that does alot of good!
> I can't insert the license into the PC and boot it... (humor).  Currently
> they are only shipping v.3.0 with 3.1 due out at the end of July.

The pricing makes sense if (like most of our customers) you are buying more
than one copy of UNIX.  If you are bringing up 10 machines, you only need
one copy of distribution media ($45) and ten licenses at $145 each.  This
saves you $450.  You would prefer we charged you for ten copies of media
you don't need?  Note that our $145 price includes ALL of UNIX as defined
in SVID, including RFS, TLI, and Streams, all of the development tools,
link kit, vi, and much other wonderful stuff.  Note also that in the above
scenario you don't need to purchase 10 copies of (redundant) UNIX documen-
tation.  Most people would buy one set for reference, a few extra System
Administration guides, a few extra User or Programmer References, and save
a few thousand dollars.  Source code to the device drivers (Interactive's
386/ix AT device drivers) is still only $5,000 or only $250 to universities
qualifying for the free UNIX deal from AT&T.  Distribution on cartridge
tape is the same price as on floppy media.  Enjoy!

- Dimitri Rotow, Bell Technologies

stacy@mcl.UUCP (Stacy L. Millions) (07/11/88)

In article <236@belltec.UUCP>, dar@belltec.UUCP (Dimitri Rotow) writes:
> In article <294@gandalf.littlei.UUCP>, martin@littlei.UUCP (martin) writes:
> > ...  I called the folks up and asked them how much for just a software
> > distribution (not the X package or additional non-v.3.? packages).  They
> > told me $235.  I asked them what I could get for the advertised price of
> > $145 and they said "Just the AT&T license".  Well that does alot of good!
>
> The pricing makes sense if (like most of our customers) you are buying more
> than one copy of UNIX.  If you are bringing up 10 machines, you only need
> one copy of distribution media ($45) and ten licenses at $145 each.  This
> saves you $450...

Well I have checked and double checked my math, and every time I add
45 + 145 I get 190, not 235. So which is correct.

It is nice to know that extra lisc. are available, it just might help
me change my mind about selling your product.  It still doesn't change
the fact that your adds are misleading. I realise that you want to
advertise your lowest price, but when you say "UNIX SYSTEM V RELEASE 3
FOR 80386 FROM $145 COMPLETE!", I don't expect the software to be
an option (kind of like a base model computer where the processor is
not included in the price :-).

--
"IBM Personal System/2. It's like having 256,000 crayons in one box."
    For those of you who are still doing your business reports with crayons!

S. L. Millions                                            ..!uunet!mcl!stacy

paula@bcsaic.UUCP (Paul Allen) (07/15/88)

In article <236@belltec.UUCP> dar@belltec.UUCP (Dimitri Rotow) writes:
>In article <294@gandalf.littlei.UUCP>, martin@littlei.UUCP (martin) writes:
>> [...]  Bell Tech has been advertising Unix in almost
>> all of the Unix trade rags.  The add says "UNIX for as low as $145".
>> [...]  I called the folks up and asked them how much for just a software
>> distribution (not the X package or additional non-v.3.? packages).  They
>> told me $235.  I asked them what I could get for the advertised price of
>> $145 and they said "Just the AT&T license".  Well that does alot of good!
>> I can't insert the license into the PC and boot it... (humor).
>> [...]
>
>The pricing makes sense if (like most of our customers) you are buying more
>than one copy of UNIX.  If you are bringing up 10 machines, you only need
>one copy of distribution media ($45) and ten licenses at $145 each.  This
>saves you $450.  You would prefer we charged you for ten copies of media
>you don't need?  Note that our $145 price includes ALL of UNIX as defined
>in SVID, including RFS, TLI, and Streams, all of the development tools,
>link kit, vi, and much other wonderful stuff.
> [stuff about how much you can save by buying multiple copies deleted]
>- Dimitri Rotow, Bell Technologies

I'm an individual, not a corporation.  I would like to run unix on the
biggest, fastest 386 box I can fit into my budget.  I'm going to buy one
copy.  Your ad (I've seen it in the June Unix Review and the latest Dr.
Dobb's) screams (well, 23 point type, anyway!) that I can get Unix SVR3
for a 386 *complete* for $145.  Now that I know what to look for, I see
that one of the available options is a 'media kit'.  Sheesh!  Does the
$235 price include any documentation?

Come on, Dimitri!  Bell Tech's price is low enough that you don't have
to resort to misleading advertising like this!  I think it's fine that
you've unbundled the pricing so corporate buyers can save kilobucks, but
your ad doesn't make it clear that $145 doesn't buy me anything useful.  I
prefer dealing with vendors who are straight with me, rather than
squirming around on the price.

Paul Allen

[It just occurred to me that, since Bell Tech is willing to sell me just
a license, I should be able to copy a friend's floppies and
documentation.  That would give me a licensed running complete Unix for
$145, just like the ad says!  1/2 :-) ]

Paul L. Allen                       | paula@boeing.com
Boeing Advanced Technology Center   | ...!uw-beaver!ssc-vax!bcsaic!paula

karl@sugar.UUCP (Karl Lehenbauer) (07/16/88)

In article <6475@bcsaic.UUCP>, paula@bcsaic.UUCP (Paul Allen) writes:
> I'm an individual, not a corporation.  I would like to run unix on the
> biggest, fastest 386 box I can fit into my budget.  I'm going to buy one
> copy.  Your ad (I've seen it in the June Unix Review and the latest Dr.
> Dobb's) screams (well, 23 point type, anyway!) that I can get Unix SVR3
> for a 386 *complete* for $145.  Now that I know what to look for, I see
> that one of the available options is a 'media kit'.  Sheesh!  Does the
> $235 price include any documentation?

I paid $320, I think it was, for unlimited user 386, media kit and the sysadmin
manuals.  I don't think that's bad, not at all, particularly after buying
Microport 286 unlimited user, DOS merge, nroff, source development, upgrade
package, support, &c and didn't get squat with respect to bug fixes (two years
of serial driver hangs and panics).

Granted, the ad is a bit misleading.  Nonetheless, it appears to me that one
could buy the license from Bell Tech and borrow the disks from a friend.
(Don't have a friend?  Try bathing more often :-)  It *is* nice that they
will sell a license without the media.  I'm going to be buying one for the
second 386, and $145 is a steal, especially since it all seems to work.
--
-- karl@sugar.uu.net aka uunet!sugar!karl

sl@van-bc.UUCP (pri=-10 Stuart Lynne) (07/17/88)

In article <6475@bcsaic.UUCP> paula@bcsaic.UUCP (Paul Allen) writes:
}In article <236@belltec.UUCP> dar@belltec.UUCP (Dimitri Rotow) writes:
}>In article <294@gandalf.littlei.UUCP>, martin@littlei.UUCP (martin) writes:
}you've unbundled the pricing so corporate buyers can save kilobucks, but
}your ad doesn't make it clear that $145 doesn't buy me anything useful.  I
}prefer dealing with vendors who are straight with me, rather than
}squirming around on the price.
}
}Paul Allen
}
}[It just occurred to me that, since Bell Tech is willing to sell me just
}a license, I should be able to copy a friend's floppies and
}documentation.  That would give me a licensed running complete Unix for
}$145, just like the ad says!  1/2 :-) ]

That's right.

And you can run down to your local computer literate book store and pick up
the Prentice Hall manuals.

So Bell Tech is indeed offerring a fairly innovative service by selling you
exactly what you need instead of forcing you to purchase a bundled package
with stuff you don't need.

--
Stuart.Lynne@wimsey.bc.ca {ubc-cs,uunet}!van-bc!sl     Vancouver,BC,604-937-7532

wes@obie.UUCP (Barnacle Wes) (07/17/88)

In article <6475@bcsaic.UUCP>, paula@bcsaic.UUCP (Paul Allen) writes:
> [...much discussion about belltech's pricing in magazine adds, and
> licensing prices, etc...]
>
> It just occurred to me that, since Bell Tech is willing to sell me just
> a license, I should be able to copy a friend's floppies and
> documentation.  That would give me a licensed running complete Unix for
> $145, just like the ad says!  1/2 :-)

Here's a situation for you: my brother and a friend are both looking at
buying 386 boxes with Unix for the O.S.  I have been looking at 386
motherboards to upgrade Obie with.  If the three of us buy three
licenses and one distribution kit, we still have three valid copies of
Unix.  You may be able to take advantage of this too.

		Wes Peters

P.S. - We'll probably all end up with ISC Unix, since my brother works
on that at work - source and all.  Be nice to be your own bug fix
departement, now wouldn't it?  No, wait - don't answer that.
--
                     {hpda, uwmcsd1}!sp7040!obie!wes
           "Happiness lies in being priviledged to work hard for

dar@belltec.UUCP (Dimitri Rotow) (07/19/88)

In article <6475@bcsaic.UUCP>, paula@bcsaic.UUCP (Paul Allen) writes:
> [ ... summarizes pricing comments & replies ...]
>
> I'm an individual, not a corporation.  I would like to run unix on the
> biggest, fastest 386 box I can fit into my budget.  I'm going to buy one
> copy.  Your ad (I've seen it in the June Unix Review and the latest Dr.
> Dobb's) screams (well, 23 point type, anyway!) that I can get Unix SVR3
> for a 386 *complete* for $145.  Now that I know what to look for, I see
> that one of the available options is a 'media kit'.  Sheesh!  Does the
> $235 price include any documentation?
>
> [It just occurred to me that, since Bell Tech is willing to sell me just
> a license, I should be able to copy a friend's floppies and
> documentation.  That would give me a licensed running complete Unix for
> $145, just like the ad says!  1/2 :-) ]

Your right, we do emphasize the *complete* part in the ad ... The reason we
do so is that our publication of UNIX is the *only* UNIX you can buy which
is genuinely complete and uncut ... the usage of "complete" was intended to
refer to the fact that you get *all* of UNIX, including *all* of the
development tools, RFS, Streams, TLI, and everything else.  I think that's
unique enough to want to emphasize in an ad, but not at the cost of
risking people getting a misleading impression.  If the flames continue
we'll change the ad ... any suggestions on how to get across the idea that
you get *all* of UNIX whilst retaining the disaggregation of media, license,
and docs?

We'd be happy to sell you just a license, except that you cannot copy your
friend's diskettes [AT&T's rules, not ours].  Since AT&T imposes profound
restrictions on the physical duplication of UNIX media we believe that we
must sell at least one copy of physical media to each licensee in order to
have a defensible case in court with AT&T.  The actual license passes with
the CPU and is granted you by signing a license agreement or opening up a
shrink-wrapped agreement in jurisdictions where such agreements are valid.
Under the right circumstances, two or more people could do a joint buy
for target machines which are owned by the nominee actually purchasing such
machines and code, and then transfer titles to the CPU's and code within
the group (kind of a long way to go to save $45, but valid!).

- Dimitri Rotow

brian@cbw1.UUCP (Brian Cuthie) (07/21/88)

It seems like the only issue here is how people define "complete."  I have
to wonder how long this argument can go on.  Personally I prefer to think
of "complete" as being "everything."  Obviously Bell-Tech and their
supporters think complete has a different definition.   I don't know that
there is any point in wasting 10k/day in net bandwidth in obscured arguments
over the definition of complete.

Just my $.02 worth :-)  (please direct flames to alt.flame -- I don't
subscribe to that news group)

-brian
--
Brian D. Cuthie                                 uunet!umbc3!cbw1!brian
Columbia, MD                                    brian@umbc3.umd.edu

rcd@ico.ISC.COM (Dick Dunn) (07/21/88)

> > ...  Your ad (I've seen it in the June Unix Review and the latest Dr.
> > Dobb's) screams (well, 23 point type, anyway!) that I can get Unix SVR3
> > for a 386 *complete* for $145...
[but a note that this doesn't include media containing any software...]
> > [It just occurred to me that, since Bell Tech is willing to sell me just
> > a license, I should be able to copy a friend's floppies...
This was just an attempt to find a way to get the $145 UNIX for $145...
...To which Dmitri Rotow (of Bell Tech) replied:
> We'd be happy to sell you just a license, except that you cannot copy your
> friend's diskettes [AT&T's rules, not ours].  Since AT&T imposes profound
> restrictions on the physical duplication of UNIX media we believe that we
> must sell at least one copy of physical media to each licensee in order to
> have a defensible case in court with AT&T...

But then you've quite nearly said that you won't sell UNIX for a 386 for
$145.  I would think this would put you in a precarious legal situation
too, wouldn't it?  What do you do with the guy who says, "Here's my $145;
gimme a UNIX!"?  If you tell him that he can't really have it for that
amount of money, he's going to be unhappy no matter what, and he might come
after you for misleading him.

It's a sort of flip on the joke where the guy sees a sign that says
something like "Buy one hamburger for $1, get the second one half price,"
walks up with 50 cents and says, "Here...I want the second burger."

You've advertised the "quantity price" without giving the initial cost...
like specifying a line where you've given the slope but not the inter-
cept.

But Rotow also offered:
>...If the flames continue
> we'll change the ad ... any suggestions on how to get across the idea that
> you get *all* of UNIX whilst retaining the disaggregation of media, license,
> and docs?

Hey, I'm glad they're listening!  How about something like "first license
$xxx, additional licenses only $yyy, documentation $zzz per set"?

If it's really important to establish a price comparison with your competi-
tors (which I suspect is the problem), why not do exactly that?  That is,
let your ad show what we'd pay for one complete system from you versus your
competitors.  Since you're showing a bundled price, take the piece prices
of your competitors' systems and add them up to get what's equivalent to
one of yours, then show the figures...maybe show single-system and multi-
system prices to indicate your $145 increment, but don't play the "wheels
extra" game.  A good price for a software system with "software extra" is
like a bargain on flashlight batteries with "batteries not included."
--
Dick Dunn      UUCP: {ncar,nbires}!ico!rcd           (303)449-2870
   ...Are you making this up as you go along?

larry@focsys.UUCP (Larry Williamson) (07/21/88)

In article <243@belltec.UUCP> dar@belltec.UUCP (Dimitri Rotow) writes:

>Your right, we do emphasize the *complete* part in the ad ... The reason we
>do so is that our publication of UNIX is the *only* UNIX you can buy which
>is genuinely complete and uncut ... the usage of "complete" was intended to
>refer to the fact that you get *all* of UNIX, including *all* of the
>development tools, RFS, Streams, TLI, and everything else.
> [...]
>- Dimitri Rotow

Complete?

You don't get Nroff, or Troff, no online man pages either.  But I
supose that these are considered a part of some other "option".

I find it interesting that the online documentation for the X
windows package that comes with BT's system uses a 3rd party nroff
package (Elan's eroff).

--
Larry Williamson                      Focus Automation Systems
UUCP: watmath!focsys!larry    608 Weber St. N, Waterloo, Ontario N2V 1K4

karl@ddsw1.UUCP (Karl Denninger) (07/21/88)

In article <243@belltec.UUCP> dar@belltec.UUCP (Dimitri Rotow) writes:
>In article <6475@bcsaic.UUCP>, paula@bcsaic.UUCP (Paul Allen) writes:
>> [ ... summarizes pricing comments & replies ...]
>>
>> [It just occurred to me that, since Bell Tech is willing to sell me just
>> a license, I should be able to copy a friend's floppies and
>> documentation.  That would give me a licensed running complete Unix for
>> $145, just like the ad says!  1/2 :-) ]
>
>We'd be happy to sell you just a license, except that you cannot copy your
>friend's diskettes [AT&T's rules, not ours].  Since AT&T imposes profound
>restrictions on the physical duplication of UNIX media we believe that we
>must sell at least one copy of physical media to each licensee in order to
>have a defensible case in court with AT&T.

Then your ad is not only misleading, but knowingly misleading.  In many
circles this would be construed as fraud.

If your firm will not sell just the license to a single purchaser, then you
cannot get "REAL UNIX" in any way, shape or form as an individual for
$145.00.  I *must*, due to AT&T and your policy, buy the media kit as well
-- which has an additional cost.

As a result, you should change your advertising -- to reflect reality.  If
you require that a purchaser buy at least one copy of the physical media,
your FIRST COST is $145 + media --- not $145.  Stating it any other way is
dishonest.

What would be legit, and honest, would be to say something like:
	"REAL UNIX for $xxxx (145 + media cost) -- with additional licenses
	at $145."

This misleads no one.  Your current advertising, especially in light of the
statement that you require at least one copy of media to be purchased, is
extremely misleading and dishonest.

Please change it.

--
Karl Denninger (ddsw1!karl) Data: (312) 566-8912, Voice: (312) 566-8910
Macro Computer Solutions, Inc.    "Quality solutions at a fair price"

paula@bcsaic.UUCP (Paul Allen) (07/22/88)

In article <243@belltec.UUCP> dar@belltec.UUCP (Dimitri Rotow) writes:
>In article <6475@bcsaic.UUCP>, paula@bcsaic.UUCP (Paul Allen) writes:
>>  [In which I complained about Bell Tech's recent Unix ad, which I
>>  perceived to be misleading.]
>
>Your right, we do emphasize the *complete* part in the ad ... The reason we
>do so is that our publication of UNIX is the *only* UNIX you can buy which
>is genuinely complete and uncut ...

Bell Tech is to be applauded for their aggressive pricing of UNIX
licenses.  However, *complete* implies to me that I get everything I
need.

>            ... any suggestions on how to get across the idea that
>you get *all* of UNIX whilst retaining the disaggregation of media, license,
>and docs?

Sure.  Just add a statement to the effect that license, media, and docs
are separately priced and that at least one media kit is required.  You
wouldn't have to expand the amount of verbiage by much, since you
already have a sentence listing the available options. The surprise for
me was to learn that the $145 price for complete UNIX didn't include media.
I don't think it would hurt sales if the ad made that point clear.  Your
price is still very attractive.

>We'd be happy to sell you just a license, except that you cannot copy your
>friend's diskettes [AT&T's rules, not ours].

Thanks for the clarification.  I'll budget $300 or so for my eventual
UNIX buy.

Paul

bowles@lll-crg.llnl.gov (Jeff Bowles) (07/26/88)

In article <192@focsys.UUCP> larry@focsys.UUCP (Larry Williamson) writes:
>In article <243@belltec.UUCP> dar@belltec.UUCP (Dimitri Rotow) writes:
>>
>>Your right, we do emphasize the *complete* part in the ad...
>
>Complete?
>
>You don't get Nroff, or Troff, no online man pages either.  But I
>supose that these are considered a part of some other "option".

Hold on, there - the nroff/troff support disappeared from *ALL* releases
of System V beginning with System V Release 2.0 in 1984, because of the
availability "as an add-on" of the new "device-independent troff." It was
easier to support (and more profitable to sell separately) this way.

I would blame Bell Tech for a lot of things, but unbundling nroff/troff
isn't one of them.

	Jeff Bowles

ps. I'll emphasize that "Elan" has a fine nroff/troff....

df@nud.UUCP (Dale Farnsworth) (07/29/88)

Brian Cuthie (brian@cbw1.UMD.EDU) writes:

> It seems like the only issue here is how people define "complete."  I have
> to wonder how long this argument can go on.  Personally I prefer to think
> of "complete" as being "everything."  Obviously Bell-Tech and their
> supporters think complete has a different definition.   I don't know that
> there is any point in wasting 10k/day in net bandwidth in obscured arguments
> over the definition of complete.

Bell Technologies includes "everything" that is included in
AT&T's System V Release 3.

System V Release 3 not include nroff/troff or on-line man pages.
It does have an on-line help facility and many other nice features.

Bell Tech provides "complete" System V Release 3.  If, by your definition,
that is not "complete" UNIX, then AT&T should be flamed, not Bell Technologies.

-Dale

--
Dale Farnsworth		602-438-3092	noao!nud!df