[comp.unix.microport] Need INFO about possibilities of IBM Mainframe connection

andy@mssx.UUCP (Andreas Pleschutznig) (07/25/88)

Is there anyone out there, who can point me the possibilities of
UNIX(386) and XENIX(386) to connect to an IBM Host ?!

I will state the problem we have:

We have existing Hardware (386 AT) running either UNIX or XENIX and
for our new project it might be necessary to connect to an IBM Host.
(43xx, S3x). The problem is that we do not have any knowledge what
hardware and software is availaible on the market, doing that job.

Also there is another Problem as i am told: XENIX is said to have some
Software doing that job, but it requires that the XENIX machine is some
kind of cluster controller to the IBM host, and that's what we cannot
be sure of.

So if there is anyone knowing how to communicate and ftp files from and
to an IBM Host is greatly welcome.

Please send any articles to me directly by e-mail, and I will summarize
it to the net if that is of general interest.

tks (kopefully) in advance
andy
Micro Systems Software

vandys@hpisoa1.HP.COM (Andrew Valencia) (07/27/88)

/ hpisoa1:comp.unix.microport / andy@mssx.UUCP (Andreas Pleschutznig) / 11:39 am  Jul 24, 1988 /
>Is there anyone out there, who can point me the possibilities of
>UNIX(386) and XENIX(386) to connect to an IBM Host ?!

    SCO supports 3270 emulation.  I don't know if they support 3270
file transfer.  Give them a call.
					Andy

mejia@laidbak.UUCP (Galo Mejia) (07/30/88)

In article <11190005@hpisoa1.HP.COM> vandys@hpisoa1.HP.COM (Andrew Valencia) writes:
>/ hpisoa1:comp.unix.microport / andy@mssx.UUCP (Andreas Pleschutznig) / 11:39 am  Jul 24, 1988 /
>>Is there anyone out there, who can point me the possibilities of
>>UNIX(386) and XENIX(386) to connect to an IBM Host ?!
>
>    SCO supports 3270 emulation.  I don't know if they support 3270
>file transfer.  Give them a call.
>					Andy
I would guess, however, that a coax_card is need. 3270 is a family of IBM
terminals that connect to a terminal cluster  (models 3274, 3276) through a
coax_cable (they use BYSYNC protocol to talk to their communications control
program. ei. VTAM) There are many coax cards in the market (IRMA, AST, ITT and
others, used to be around $500) I used in 286 machines, so I don't know about
386.
        Galo.

vandys@hpisoa1.HP.COM (Andrew Valencia) (08/05/88)

/ hpisoa1:comp.unix.microport / mejia@laidbak.UUCP (Galo Mejia) /  9:27 pm  Jul 29, 1988 /
>I would guess, however, that a coax_card is need. 3270 is a family of IBM
>terminals that connect to a terminal cluster  (models 3274, 3276) through a
>coax_cable (they use BYSYNC protocol to talk to their communications control
>program. ei. VTAM) There are many coax cards in the market (IRMA, AST, ITT and
>others, used to be around $500) I used in 286 machines, so I don't know about
>386.

    Part of the story.  A 3274/3278 cluster may be connected via coax,
bisync/RS-232, or SDLC/RS-232.  A console for a mainframe is also coax
attached, but it's a different protocol from the 3274/3278 coax attach.
Last I looked (quite a while ago), SCO only supported the RS-232 connection.
The coax connection was designed for a dedicated device--as I recollect,
there was a very real danger of using up your whole system just trying to
be a terminal.  The coax protocols and connection are also much more complex
than the SDLC or Bisync ones.  For speed however, there's no comparison--
the coax attach is incredible.  I'd take one for my UN*X system connection
any day of the week!

					Andy