[comp.unix.microport] Xenix/UNIX/Weirdix/...

peter@ficc.UUCP (Peter da Silva) (08/07/88)

ARGH! Enough!

	Xenix: Cadillac system. Powerful enough. Doesn't handle do well.
		Makes hot computer jocks impatient. Big old cast iron V8.
		Business folks love it because you can expect it to get
		to point B, and you can get it fixed anywhere.

	Microport/Bell Tech UNIX: Ferrari system. All the fancy features.
		Fuel injected multiport turbo. Powerful in its way, too,
		though you don't want to haul a trailer with it. Lots of
		bells and whistles, but spends some time in the shop.

Some people like Cadillacs. Some people like Ferraris. Me, I like VW GTIs :->.
--
Peter da Silva, Ferranti International Controls Corporation, sugar!ficc!peter.
"You made a TIME MACHINE out of a VOLKSWAGEN BEETLE?"

vandys@hpisoa1.HP.COM (Andrew Valencia) (08/09/88)

/ hpisoa1:comp.unix.microport / peter@ficc.UUCP (Peter da Silva) /  7:01 pm  Aug  6, 1988 /

>	Microport/Bell Tech UNIX: Ferrari system. All the fancy features.
>		Fuel injected multiport turbo.

	Try running some file system benchmarks.  2.3 uport eats it against
SCO 2.2.  Why the big surprise?  SCO compiles their kernel with large code/
small data, and has a better code generator.  Other features are things like
exec() not pulling its stuff through the block cache.  The things *I*
like about uport have to do with standard configuration--mail goes where I
expect it, and is delivered using the expected mechanisms.  You ever tried
to follow SCO's mail mechanisms?  Bletch.  Their compiler is more vanilla.
No more -Ze/-Zi/-Z<foo> bullshit.  About the most you have to do is add -Ml
to the CFLAGS.  SCO delivers solidity and performance with a noticeable
weirdness level.  uport delivers a modicum of stability, weaker performance,
but a dependably vanilla sysV.  With the merged product from SCO just around
the corner, this comparison could soon be obsolete.  Stay tuned...

					Andy

woods@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu (Greg Woods) (08/09/88)

In article <1227@ficc.UUCP> peter@ficc.UUCP (Peter da Silva) writes:
>ARGH! Enough!
>
>	Xenix: Cadillac system.
>	[etc.]
>	Microport/Bell Tech UNIX: Ferrari system.
>	[etc.]
>Some people like Cadillacs. Some people like Ferraris. Me, I like VW GTIs :->.

Actually, I'd put it more in the class of Mercedes.  VERY reliable.
(let's not argue abou this!) :-)

>--
>Peter da Silva, Ferranti International Controls Corporation, sugar!ficc!peter.
--
						Greg Woods.

UUCP: utgpu!woods, utgpu!{ontmoh, ontmoh!ixpierre}!woods
VOICE: (416) 242-7572 [h]		LOCATION: Toronto, Ontario, Canada