[comp.unix.microport] X-window drivers

innovus@maccs.McMaster.CA (Innovus Inc.) (08/03/88)

We are looking to port some software to 80386 UNIX with X-windows,
and would appreciate any information on video cards for which X-window drivers
exist. (I know about the Bell Tech Blit card). Does anyone else
know of any VGA resolution or better cards? Information regarding
prices, sources would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Martin Renters

tucker@urbsdc.Urbana.Gould.COM (08/07/88)

The public source to the X Window System (v11.r2) contains all the
IBM display drivers (or at least examples).  I see drivers for the
EGA, VGA, IBM8514, and MPEL displays plus others in my source tree.
These drivers are written for IBM RT UNIX, but you could probably
port them without too much trouble if you run System V R3 on a 386.

The X Window source is available over UUNET and ARPAnet.  Take a
look at the archive of 'comp.windows.x' for information on how to
get the source.  Please don't ask me for the source.

Tim Tucker
Gould Computer Systems Division
tucker@xenurus.Gould.COM
..ihnp4!uiucdcs!urbsdc!tucker

plocher@uport.UUCP (John Plocher) (08/10/88)

In article <61300001@urbsdc> tucker@urbsdc.Urbana.Gould.COM writes:
>The public source to the X Window System (v11.r2) contains all the
>IBM display drivers (or at least examples).  I see drivers for the
>EGA, VGA, IBM8514, and MPEL displays plus others in my source tree.

The IBM RT running BSD 4.2, not SVRx.

Important distinction - none of the support is there for System 5 - no STREAMS,
no IPC, nothing.

  -John (One who drooled over those same drivers - for a bit) Plocher