[comp.unix.microport] Disabling 'date' prompt in SysV/At

tkevans@fallst.UUCP (Tim Evans) (08/12/88)

Can anyone tell me how to bypass the prompt asking if the date is
correct on bootup in uport SysV/AT (version 2.2)?

I live in an area where the electricity is, well, less than reliable
during anything resembling rain ;-).  Although, the system is pretty
well surge-protected, momentary flickers do to my system what they
do to the digital clock on your VCR.  Of course, it then sits waiting
for confirmation of the date--sometimes all day while I'm away.

I looked in /etc/rc, but found nothing to change here.  Any other ideas?

Thanks.
--
...!{rutgers|ames|uunet}!mimsy!aplcen!wb3ffv!fallst!tkevans
...!attmail!fallst!tkevans

wnp@dcs.UUCP (Wolf N. Paul) (08/13/88)

In article <401@fallst.UUCP> tkevans@fallst.UUCP (Tim Evans) writes:
>Can anyone tell me how to bypass the prompt asking if the date is
>correct on bootup in uport SysV/AT (version 2.2)?

The prompt asking if the date is correct comes from the file "/etc/bsetdate",
which is a shell script called from "/etc/inittab" (line 3, I believe).

If you are fairly sure that your hardware clock keeps accurate time, you
can change that line in "/etc/inittab" to look as follows:

   ck::sysinit:date `setup -d`

which will set the system date from the hardware clock without asking any
questions.

The reason uPort is using the rather elaborate "/etc/bsetdate" script is their
contention that many clone hardware clocks are not all that accurate. In view
of uPort V/AT's problems with keeping software time, that assertion is somewhat
laughable -- I have yet to see a clone hardware clock which is as inaccurate
as V/AT's timekeeping :-).

Wolf
UUCP:     killer!dcs!wnp                 ESL: 62832882
DOMAIN:   wnp%dcs@killer.dallas.tx.us    TLX: 910-380-0585 EES PLANO UD

john@wa3wbu.UUCP (John Gayman) (08/13/88)

[Now we're getting somewhere, back to technical discussions concerning
 Microport Sys/V and other matters pertinant to this group. At last
 Check, it *was* still called comp.unix.microport] :-)

In article <401@fallst.UUCP>, tkevans@fallst.UUCP (Tim Evans) writes:
> Can anyone tell me how to bypass the prompt asking if the date is
> correct on bootup in uport SysV/AT (version 2.2)?

     What I did was simply modify the /etc/bsetdate script to not ask
  for the date/time but capture it from the cmos clock at power up. I
  also wanted my system to self re-start. The following is my corrected
  bsetdate. As you can see, the mod was *very* simply, easy to remove,
  and theres probably a hundred other ways to do it.

#  iAPX286 @(#)bsetdate.sh	1.1
#  Check and set date
#  Modified to collect date directly from CMOS
#  Using 'setup -d' - Henry Seltzer 6-23-86

TZ=GMT0
export TZ
date `/etc/setup -d`
. /etc/TIMEZONE
#while :
#do
#	echo "Is the date `date` correct? (y or n) \c"
#	read reply
#	if
#		[ "$reply" = y ]
#	then
#		break
#	else
#		echo "Enter the correct time: (hh:mm:ss) or RETURN \c"
#		read reply2
#		if [ "$reply2" != "" ]
#		then
#			/etc/setup time "$reply2"
#		fi
#		echo "Enter the correct date: (mm/dd/yy) or RETURN \c"
#		read reply1
#		if [ "$reply1" != "" ]
#		then
#			/etc/setup date "$reply1"
#		fi
#		date `/etc/setup -d`
#	fi
#done

	Hope this does the trick for you.

						John

--
John Gayman, WA3WBU              |           UUCP: uunet!wa3wbu!john
1869 Valley Rd.                  |           ARPA: wa3wbu!john@uunet.UU.NET

plocher@uport.UUCP (John Plocher) (08/14/88)

>Can anyone tell me how to bypass the prompt asking if the date is
>correct on bootup in uport SysV/AT (version 2.2)?

The file /etc/bsetdate is called from /etc/inittab at boot time.
if you put an "exit" statement right after the "date `setup -d`" line
the date will be set to whatever the CMOS thinks it is, without
asking you if this is *really* correct.

Quick poll, email ONLY:
   What should the default be, to prompt or not to prompt?

  -John Plocher
   uunet!uport!plocher