[comp.unix.microport] Disk drives

chip@ateng.uucp (Chip Salzenberg) (08/12/88)

[I am redirecting this to comp.misc, since it doesn't relate to any
 one operating system.]

According to james@bigtex.uucp (James Van Artsdalen):
>I still recommend the CDC Wren-III.  [They] are built like tanks.

I must agree.  Ateng has a Wren-III (SCSI interface), and it's worked
without a hitch for almost a year.

HOWEVER...

Since a few months ago, the disk has been making an arritating whining
sound.  It's the kind of noise that drives dogs (and programmers :-)) batty.
It wouldn't be so bad, but it's constantly warbling about, and it sometimes
stops and then starts again.

What can I do to make that noise go away??
--
Chip Salzenberg                <chip@ateng.uu.net> or <uunet!ateng!chip>
A T Engineering                My employer may or may not agree with me.

vandys@hpisoa1.HP.COM (Andrew Valencia) (08/15/88)

/ hpisoa1:comp.unix.microport / chip@ateng.uucp (Chip Salzenberg) / 11:27 am  Aug 11, 1988 /
>... the disk has been making an arritating whining
>sound.  It's the kind of noise that drives dogs (and programmers :-)) batty.
>It wouldn't be so bad, but it's constantly warbling about, and it sometimes
>stops and then starts again.

	The copper grounding strap which rests against the spindle of the
rotating portion of the disk is often the culprit.  I'm not familiar with
your exact model, but the common solution is just to bend it back so it doesn't
rest against the spindle any more.  "But doesn't that mean it won't be
grounding it any more?!?" you ask.  Yup.  But no one I've talked to has ever
had any trouble, and it sure quiets the guy down.

					Andy

Disclaimer: my opinions, and nothing but.

rsj@wa4mei.UUCP (Randy Jarrett WA4MEI) (08/19/88)

In article <11190012@hpisoa1.HP.COM> vandys@hpisoa1.HP.COM (Andrew Valencia) writes:
>/ hpisoa1:comp.unix.microport / chip@ateng.uucp (Chip Salzenberg) / 11:27 am  Aug 11, 1988 /
>>... the disk has been making an arritating whining
>	The copper grounding strap which rests against the spindle of the
>rotating portion of the disk is often the culprit.  I'm not familiar with
>your exact model, but the common solution is just to bend it back so it doesn't
>rest against the spindle any more.  "But doesn't that mean it won't be
>grounding it any more?!?" you ask.  Yup.  But no one I've talked to has ever
>had any trouble, and it sure quiets the guy down.
>
>					Andy

A while back I discussed this problem with the technical rep from one of
the disk drive manufactures. He said that a lot of people bent these straps
back out of contact from the spindle and got away with it but sooner or later
it will get you.  Without this strap there is not any ground to the spindle and
platters on the drive and under the right conditions a large static charge can
build up on the platters (low humidity) and discharge to the head. Remember that
the head rides very close to the platters but does not touch during operation.
This discharge can cause damage ranging from lost data at the point of discharge
to distroying the head.

I have found that Hamilton/Avenet carries a special grease that was manufactured
by Shugart Associates (remember them?) that comes in a small syringe.  It is
very inexpensive (~$4) and one syringe is enough to take care of about 50
drives.  I have used this on many drives and it works very well and usually
lasts several (4 to 6) months.

--
Randy Jarrett  WA4MEI
UUCP  ...!gatech!wa4mei!rsj        | US SNAIL: P.O. Box 941217

rick@pcrat.UUCP (Rick Richardson) (08/19/88)

In article <11190012@hpisoa1.HP.COM> vandys@hpisoa1.HP.COM (Andrew Valencia) writes:
>	The copper grounding strap which rests against the spindle of the
>rotating portion of the disk is often the culprit.  I'm not familiar with
>your exact model, but the common solution is just to bend it back so it doesn't
>rest against the spindle any more.  "But doesn't that mean it won't be
>grounding it any more?!?" you ask.  Yup.  But no one I've talked to has ever
>had any trouble, and it sure quiets the guy down.

I'd always put silicone on the strap to change the mass.  Then I ran into
the Micropolis drives.  Their spring design is so whacky the silicone
didn't work for long.

Then, a couple of days ago, I got a call from a nice fellow named
Terry Kennedy.  He said that somebody at Priam told him that on a
3.5 or 5.25 inch form factor drive you can't build up enough static to
cause any problems.  Micropolis used to send him boxes of replacement
springs, but when asked, they also agreed that you could just rip
off the spring.

This is all hearsay, but the next time I open the case, *my* Micropolis
will be silenced *forever*.
--
		Rick Richardson, PC Research, Inc.

(201) 542-3734 (voice, nights)   OR     (201) 389-8963 (voice, days)
uunet!pcrat!rick (UUCP)			rick%pcrat.uucp@uunet.uu.net (INTERNET)

fyl@ssc.UUCP (Phil Hughes) (08/20/88)

[story of funny noise from hd and one solution deleted]

The noise is generally caused by resonance in the spring that holds
the grounding contact on the spindel.  I found that putting a piece of
tape on the spring would change the resonant frequency and the noise
would go away.
--
Phil    uunet!pilchuck!ssc!fyl

rms@gubba.SPDCC.COM (Rich Sands) (08/20/88)

In article <557@pcrat.UUCP> rick@pcrat.UUCP (Rick Richardson) writes:
>In article <11190012@hpisoa1.HP.COM> vandys@hpisoa1.HP.COM (Andrew Valencia) writes:
>>	The copper grounding strap which rests against the spindle of the
>>rotating portion of the disk is often the culprit.  I'm not familiar with
>>your exact model, but the common solution is just to bend it back so it doesn't
>>rest against the spindle any more.  "But doesn't that mean it won't be
>>grounding it any more?!?" you ask.  Yup.  But no one I've talked to has ever
>>had any trouble, and it sure quiets the guy down.
>
>I'd always put silicone on the strap to change the mass.  Then I ran into
>the Micropolis drives.  Their spring design is so whacky the silicone
>didn't work for long.
>
>Then, a couple of days ago, I got a call from a nice fellow named
>Terry Kennedy.  He said that somebody at Priam told him that on a
>3.5 or 5.25 inch form factor drive you can't build up enough static to
>cause any problems.  Micropolis used to send him boxes of replacement
>springs, but when asked, they also agreed that you could just rip
>off the spring.
>
>This is all hearsay, but the next time I open the case, *my* Micropolis
>will be silenced *forever*.
>--
>		Rick Richardson, PC Research, Inc.
>
>(201) 542-3734 (voice, nights)   OR     (201) 389-8963 (voice, days)
>uunet!pcrat!rick (UUCP)			rick%pcrat.uucp@uunet.uu.net (INTERNET)

I've got two Micropolis 1335 drives.  They were making shrieking noises
like kids on a rollercoaster, and suspecting the grounding strap, I
called their tech support line.  The fellow on the other end told me
that the strap was unneccessary, and that they had eliminated it from
recent vintage drives to eliminate the jet engine sound effects.  I
eagerly ripped open my chassis and gleefully (but gently) removed the
spring.  The damn things still wail like sirens! They are quite
reliable, surviving an un-airconditioned apartment in Boston this summer
with seldom an error.  I've had them for two years, and they are great
drives, EXCEPT for the noise! The bearings must be finely ground brass
dust by now, but does it matter to these things? No!! Oddest pieces of
computer hardware I've ever run across.  I back them up religiously,
expecting them to croak any minute. Its such a relief to know I'm not
alone...
--
        --  rms

UUCP: {ihnp4,harvard,husc6,linus,ima,bbn,m2c}!spdcc!gubba!rms
Internet: rms@gubba.spdcc.com	Compuserve: 71360,1067	BIX: richsands