[comp.unix.microport] Modem I/O

stevem@juniper.uucp (Steven G. Madere) (08/18/88)

A friend of mine has a 386 AT clone made by a company called MYLEX.
He is running MicroPort's UNIX System V for the 386 (very latest release)
He has been having some problems with remote sessions.  Sometimes, if one
hangs up when not at a login:  prompt the process is not killed and the
next one to call gets a blank screen.  Sometimes the entire system locks
up (no core dump or anything).  Sometimes subsequent attempts to connect
will find a modem which has about a 1/4 second timeout on carrier detect.
The device he is logging in under is called /dev/ttyM01 wherein the M
denotes the modem control characteristics of the device driver being used.
He is using an internal Hayes compatible half card 1200 Baud modem in the 386.
All switch settings on modem have been checked (DTR off->hangup  DCD follows
actual conditions, address is COM1)
The following is a mail message which I received from him on that buggy box.

From bill Thu Jul 28 15:24 CDT 1988
To: steve
Subject: random thoughts

Steve, why is it that every time....

The box is still having problems with the modem.  The night of 7/27 I called
and hung up on the box -- the box went down, the box went down hard.  I was
wondering if you might do some hunting around on the usenet sometime for an
answer (I'll have to check usenet out myself sometime).  This box is also
barfing quite a bit when I do Ctrl-S Ctrl-Q sequences.  Another bizzare
occurance happened today (7/28-Thurs.) when I catted a bin file -- the
terminal settings somehow got really fried, the output to the screen was
in all extended characters, but it could read what I typed in.  So I typed
stty sane, then tput init, tput clear and a host of others, all to no avail.
So, I logged off the system and back on again, and the thing was still wacko.
I tried killing the getty on the console from another console, but the
problem still persisted, strange to me but I suppose there is a good
explanation.

Any thoughts?
Helpful hints maybe....

plocher@uport.UUCP (John Plocher) (08/20/88)

In article <3759@juniper.uucp> stevem@juniper.uucp (Steven G. Madere) writes:
>He has been having some problems with remote sessions.  Sometimes, if one
>hangs up when not at a login:  prompt the process is not killed and the
>next one to call gets a blank screen.

Has he tried using ttypatch to set the modem control value?  Not all
Hayes compatable modems are.

>answer (I'll have to check usenet out myself sometime).  This box is also
>barfing quite a bit when I do Ctrl-S Ctrl-Q sequences.  Another bizzare

This is a known bug in 2.2 - it has been fixed in 3.0 ( I don't know
much about it, just that *some* machines have problems)

>occurance happened today (7/28-Thurs.) when I catted a bin file -- the
>terminal settings somehow got really fried, the output to the screen was
>in all extended characters, but it could read what I typed in.  So I typed
>tput init...

                      echo ^[[10m   # that's <ESCAPE> [ 10 m

It should reset the console driver to character set 0, ASCII 0 to 127.
The tput init should really have fixed that - I'll have to look into that.

>Any thoughts?
>Helpful hints maybe....

    -John Plocher