[comp.unix.microport] I think we have a proposal on our hands

vixie@decwrl.dec.com (Paul Vixie) (08/20/88)

In <1988Aug19.122042.19070@ateng.uucp> chip@ateng.UUCP (Chip Salzenberg):
#     comp.unix.xenix         Microsoft Xenix and its derivatives
#     comp.unix.sysv.i286     AT&T Unix System V for the '286
#     comp.unix.sysv.i386     AT&T Unix System V for the '386
and   comp.unix.microport     (destroyed)

This is what I proposed in my last message; Chip's proposal was in response
to a different article.

I think this means that two people have the same proposal.  Which, in turn,
makes me want to ask: who wants to collect votes and try to keep track of
dissenting / alternate opinions?  I don't want the job.  But I'll coordinate
the selection of someone else to do it.

If you want to manage the voting process on the above referendum, please
send me mail.  DO NOT SEND ME YOUR VOTES.  I don't want them.  WE ARE NOT
VOTING ON THIS YET.

[Again I'll say: my employer doesn't know I'm doing this, or (I assume) care]
--
Paul Vixie
Digital Equipment Corporation	Work:  vixie@dec.com	Play:  paul@vixie.UUCP

john@jetson.UPMA.MD.US (John Owens) (08/23/88)

In article <62@volition.dec.com>, vixie@decwrl.dec.com (Paul Vixie) writes:
> In <1988Aug19.122042.19070@ateng.uucp> chip@ateng.UUCP (Chip Salzenberg):
> #     comp.unix.xenix         Microsoft Xenix and its derivatives
> #     comp.unix.sysv.i286     AT&T Unix System V for the '286
> #     comp.unix.sysv.i386     AT&T Unix System V for the '386
> and   comp.unix.microport     (destroyed)

If we're going to do the .sysv. thing, let's at least stay consistent
within the USENET name space, and use .sys5., which has precedent in
comp.bugs.sys5.

I still feel that this is going to cause problems in the near future,
when plenty of people can rightly claim that Xenix/386 is "AT&T Unix
System V for the '386".

Probably the best way to handle voting on this is to first put up for
vote two or three naming proposals.  The one that gets a plurality of
votes will then be put up for the "real" voting, requiring the 100
more yes than no votes.  Hopefully, the "losers" of the first vote
will still vote yes for the second vote, so we can present a unified
front to the Guardians of the Namespace.

So, I'd like comments on which naming schemes to include in the first
vote.  There's the one quoted at the beginning of this article, with
or without s/sysv/sys5/, and my favorite:

	comp.unix.i286		UNIX on systems using the Intel '286 CPU
	comp.unix.i386		UNIX on systems using the Intel '386 CPU
	(delete comp.unix.xenix and comp.unix.microport)

and another popular one:

	comp.unix.intel		UNIX on systems using Intel CPUs
	(delete comp.unix.xenix and comp.unix.microport)

Are there still any other serious contenders, or is everyone
sufficiently happy with one of these to start voting between them?

> I think this means that two people have the same proposal.  Which, in turn,
> makes me want to ask: who wants to collect votes and try to keep track of
> dissenting / alternate opinions?

If there are no serious objections to the two-stage voting process,
I'll collect the votes.  [vix: I'm posting instead of sending you mail
because I want reactions to the two-step proposal.]

Comments?

--
John Owens		john@jetson.UPMA.MD.US
SMART HOUSE L.P.	uunet!jetson!john		(old uucp)

vixie@decwrl.dec.com (Paul Vixie) (08/23/88)

#
# If we're going to do the .sysv. thing, let's at least stay consistent
# within the USENET name space, and use .sys5., which has precedent in
# comp.bugs.sys5.

So moved.  I agree.  I hadn't thought of this.

# I still feel that this is going to cause problems in the near future,
# when plenty of people can rightly claim that Xenix/386 is "AT&T Unix
# System V for the '386".

The Xenix people won't believe this until they see it.  If there's a lot
of cross-posting and the two product lines truly merge, we can delete the
Xenix group.

# Probably the best way to handle voting on this is to first put up for
# vote two or three naming proposals.  The one that gets a plurality of
# votes will then be put up for the "real" voting, requiring the 100 [...]

This sounds good.  Since you are volunteering to coordinate the first and
second votes on this issue, please think carefully about whether you want
too much more netwide discussion.  If you are taking a vote, then by all
means take one -- by mail.  Ask people to send you nominations, and let us
all know how it comes out.  Then ask for votes among the top three schemes
that get nominated.
--

greg@gryphon.CTS.COM (Greg Laskin) (08/23/88)

In article <109@jetson.UPMA.MD.US> john@jetson.UPMA.MD.US (John Owens) writes:
>In article <62@volition.dec.com>, vixie@decwrl.dec.com (Paul Vixie) writes:
>> In <1988Aug19.122042.19070@ateng.uucp> chip@ateng.UUCP (Chip Salzenberg):
>> #     comp.unix.xenix         Microsoft Xenix and its derivatives
>> #     comp.unix.sysv.i286     AT&T Unix System V for the '286
>> #     comp.unix.sysv.i386     AT&T Unix System V for the '386
>> and   comp.unix.microport     (destroyed)
>
>If we're going to do the .sysv. thing, let's at least stay consistent
>within the USENET name space, and use .sys5., which has precedent in
>comp.bugs.sys5.
>
>I still feel that this is going to cause problems in the near future,
>when plenty of people can rightly claim that Xenix/386 is "AT&T Unix
>System V for the '386".
>
>Probably the best way to handle voting on this is to first put up for
>vote two or three naming proposals.  The one that gets a plurality of
>
>	comp.unix.i286		UNIX on systems using the Intel '286 CPU
>	comp.unix.i386		UNIX on systems using the Intel '386 CPU
>	(delete comp.unix.xenix and comp.unix.microport)
>
>and another popular one:
>
>	comp.unix.intel		UNIX on systems using Intel CPUs
>	(delete comp.unix.xenix and comp.unix.microport)
>
>Are there still any other serious contenders, or is everyone
>sufficiently happy with one of these to start voting between them?

No. I object. Strenuously.

Xenix is as unique a product as aux and ultrix.  It is not Intel specific.

Voting on wholesale renaming proposals randomly suggested in an effort to
accomplish some great organizational goal will be less productive than
voting on the creation of specific groups and letting those that you
are not particularly interested in die for lack of interest.

For example, I would blindly vote against any proposal that deleted
comp.unix.xenix regardless of how well it organized the universe for
'386 users, Intel users and the like, whereas I would be inclined to
vote in favor of a proposal to create a specific comp.unix.i386
group or some such.

--
Greg Laskin  greg@gryphon.CTS.COM    <any backbone site>!gryphon!greg

fred@cdin-1.uucp (Fred Rump) (08/23/88)

[
[...]
[ --
[ John Owens            john@jetson.UPMA.MD.US
[ SMART HOUSE L.P.      uunet!jetson!john               (old uucp)
[ +1 301 249 6000               john%jetson.uucp@uunet.uu.net   (old internet)

I like what you have to say. Just not sure whether you want mail or news