[comp.unix.microport] call for NOMINATIONS

john@jetson.UPMA.MD.US (John Owens) (08/24/88)

In article <74@volition.dec.com>, vixie@decwrl.dec.com (Paul Vixie) writes:
> Ask people to send you nominations, and let us
> all know how it comes out.  Then ask for votes among the top three schemes
> that get nominated.

Since I haven't heard any proposals for schemes other than the three I
mentioned, I'm only going to take new nominations for ONE WEEK (to
allow for some propagation delay), but I don't expect to get any.  (I
might be proven wrong, which is fine.)

Nominations should be by MAIL, unless you really have something
important to say.  I'm right off of uunet, so I shouldn't be too hard
to reach.

So, on Wednesday, August 31, I will post a handful of nominees for the
reorganization plan for the comp.unix.{xenix,microport} groups.  I
will then take votes among these for a period of time.  I believe the
newest guidelines from the backbone call for a 30 day discussion
period to decide such things as naming; if we say we've been doing
this for a week already, we can make the voting among the nominees as
short as two weeks and still be within the guidelines; if anyone feels
it should take longer, send me *mail*.

Then, we'll do the "real" USENET 30 day yes/no vote.

I'm as impatient to get this moving as some of you are, but we need to
allow for some network delay.

Send in those nominations....
--
John Owens		john@jetson.UPMA.MD.US
SMART HOUSE L.P.	uunet!jetson!john		(old uucp)

plocher@uport.UUCP (John Plocher) (08/24/88)

+---- In article <117@jetson.UPMA.MD.US> John Owens writes:
| Since I haven't heard any proposals for schemes other than the three I
| mentioned, I'm only going to take new nominations for ONE WEEK (to
|
| period to decide such things as naming; if we say we've been doing
| this for a week already, we can make the voting ... as short as two weeks
|
| I'm as impatient to get this moving...
+----

Why the rush?  Push this past the backbone while most are gone on vacation? :-)
I get the feeling something is about to be steamrollered thru the works.
Why not take time and make *sure* things are done right.

  -John Plocher

john@jetson.UPMA.MD.US (John Owens) (08/25/88)

In article <437@uport.UUCP>, plocher@uport.UUCP (John Plocher) writes:
> Why the rush?  Push this past the backbone while most are gone on
> vacation? :-)  I get the feeling something is about to be
> steamrollered thru the works.

I hope not; I'm just trying to get to the one month "real" voting
period.  (Everyone should be back from vacation by the middle of
October!)  It shouldn't take more than two weeks for the debates to
get as far as they're going to get on the naming, but if the
nomination voting period needs to be three weeks, I'll extend it.  We
won't know until it happens....

--
John Owens		john@jetson.UPMA.MD.US
SMART HOUSE L.P.	uunet!jetson!john		(old uucp)
+1 301 249 6000		john%jetson.uucp@uunet.uu.net	(old internet)

davidsen@steinmetz.ge.com (William E. Davidsen Jr) (08/27/88)

I hope that when the voting starts there will be a "leave it alone"
place to vote. Most of the stuff I read which is not of interest is
about renaming. There is a news group just for this stuff, news.groups.
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)