[comp.unix.microport] help with malloc on microport

eric@sarin.UUCP (Eric Beser K3UHF) (06/24/88)

I am running microport v2.3 and have the buggy malloc. I cannot
find the malloc fixes. Does anyone have a malloc that works for
microport?  I also find that the clibrary does not
have the math routines. Where can I find those.

I can live without the math routines. The malloc problem
keeps haunting me.

Thanks.

Eric L. Beser
Advanced Technology Coordinator
Westinghouse Defense Center

usenet:  eric@sarin.uucp
arpa:    ebeser@ajpo.sei.cmu.edu

356-4037(h)
765-1360(w)

hedrick@athos.rutgers.edu (Charles Hedrick) (06/26/88)

Neither the normal malloc nor the optional extra malloc included with
2.3 work.  The optional one core-dumps on any program I've ever tried
it with.  The standard one causes excessive swapping, and sometimes
claims it is out of memory when there's plenty of memory left.  I
posted a new malloc some time ago.  To save space, I'm going to reply
to this request by mail rather than by reposting it.  The original
posting was cc'ed to uport in hopes that they would include it in the
next release.  Any of the 2.3.1 beta testers want to comment whether
malloc works now?

ebeser@ajpo.sei.cmu.edu (Eric Beser) (06/28/88)

Please post! Sarin is down because of disk problems and any
mailing to me will get blown away. I am getting desparate.

if you would like send to my arpa address

ebeser@ajpo.sei.cmu.edu

thanks

Eric Beser

coan@cdp.UUCP (08/24/88)

> Eric L. Beser wrote:
>I am running microport v2.3 and have the buggy malloc. I cannot
>find the malloc fixes. Does anyone have a malloc that works for
>microport?  I also find that the clibrary does not
>have the math routines. Where can I find those.

did anyone have an answer to this? please post if so. thanks

brian j. coan
Community Data Processing
cdp!coan@parcvax.xerox.com

hedrick@athos.rutgers.edu (Charles Hedrick) (08/25/88)

I have a malloc for the large model of SV/AT.  It is based on the Cal
Tech malloc, used by 4.3BSD, Unipress Emacs, and Gnu Emacs.  My
version for microport is tuned so it does a minimum number of sbrk
calls.  Thus using it will both get around the bugs in both versions
of malloc supported (?) by Uport, and will also improve performance of
programs that do a lot of mallocing.  The performance difference can
be quite dramatic, because the standard malloc tends to cause a lot of
swapping activity.  I've posted this already, so I don't think it's a
good idea to post it again.  However I'd be happy to mail it to anyone
who wants it.  By the way, I should thank Unipress for allowing me to
make it available, since it is based on their malloc. This malloc
would not be appropriate for the 386 version, nor would it work for
the small model.  If the 386 malloc is as bad as the 286 one, it would
be easy to produce a version of the same code for it, but this version
is carefully tuned for the 286.

plocher@uport.UUCP (John Plocher) (08/26/88)

> Eric L. Beser wrote:
>I am running microport v2.3 and have the buggy malloc. I cannot
>find the malloc fixes. Does anyone have a malloc that works for

I fixed the -lmalloc problem for V/AT (all the world's *not* a vax!)
and the fixed version will be included in 2.4.

>microport?  I also find that the clibrary does not
>have the math routines. Where can I find those.

try -lm for the math library.

    -John Plocher
     Microport Systems

coan@cdp.UUCP (08/27/88)

thanks to those who responded to my query, however i neglected to
specify that i'm running on a 386, and the solutions offered were
for a 286. Anyone out there have a 386 fix?

brian j. coan
Community Data Processing
cdp!coan@parcvax.xerox.com