[comp.unix.microport] 3COM 3C501 ethernet driver for V/386

ken@sun.soe (Ken) (08/30/88)

Does anyone have an ethernet driver for a 3COM 3C501 that they could
send me?  Also, a question - will I have to get additional TCP/IP
software in order to be able to talk to the outside world on the
Internet?  If so, where can I get it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Ken

Internet: luken@spot.cc.lehigh.edu or luken@vax1.cc.lehigh.edu

dyer@spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) (09/02/88)

In article <1300@sun.soe> ken@sun.soe (Ken) writes:
>Does anyone have an ethernet driver for a 3COM 3C501 that they could
>send me?  Also, a question - will I have to get additional TCP/IP
>software in order to be able to talk to the outside world on the
>Internet?  If so, where can I get it?

Ethernet cards are getting to be a dime a dozen.  TCP/IP implementations
are another story.  An ethernet card is only about 5% of the solution.

I have had VERY good luck with a TCP/IP product integrated into Bell Tech's
V/386 product produced by a company called "Streamlined Networks."  It's
essentially a packaging of the 4.3BSD TCP/IP package, with incoming and
outgoing r-commands, telnet and ftp.  It worked perfectly out of the box(!)
on MIT's subnetted LAN, and I can get anythere in the Internet with it
without problems.  It uses a Bell-Tech modified Western Digital board, but
it may be that Streamlined Networks has versions for other boards.  I don't
know whether or not they have a Microport V/386 product, but I would be
surprised if they didn't, given its similarity to Bell Tech V/386.
Streamlined Networks' VP, Lance Norskog, can be reached at
pacbell!belltech!lance.

My copy doesn't, at present, have SMTP support, and I haven't tried
to port sendmail to it, since I get mail on another machine.  I'd be
surprised if it was too hard to port, however.  I don't know whether
SNs has addressed this or not, since I haven't been in touch with
them lately.
--
Steve Dyer
dyer@harvard.harvard.edu

bae@unisoft.UUCP (Hwa Jin Bae) (09/02/88)

Steve Dyer mentioned that he doesn't think sendmail is too hard to port
to Streamlined networks TCP/IP; I did it and it was very easy.  Streamlined
networks makes newer version of their TCP/IP based on STREAMS.  I
believe their earlier releases were basically a port of their 286 TCP/IP
verision originally done for uport V/AT (thus, using non-STREAMS device
driver).  The alpha version of STREAMS TCP/IP from them worked just fine
too.  Their 4.3 BSD TCP/IP port includes recent work by Van Jacobson/Karels
congestion control, etc.

Note:
I speak only as a satisfied customer.
--
Hwa Jin Bae				bae@unisoft.UniSoft
UniSoft					...!ames!lll-crg!lll-lcc!unisoft!bae