[comp.unix.microport] using an above board's serial port

det@hawkmoon.MN.ORG (Derek E. Terveer) (08/28/88)

I am running uport 386/V 3.0-L2.2 on an acer-1100.  I have an intel above board
286/ps installed, which means that there is an extra serial port that comes
with the board.  I already have two serial ports installed, but would like to
be able to use the 3rd serial port on the above board, if possible.  The
problem is that i'm not sure how to proceed.  Here is the output of ttypatch:

$ ttypatch -d -t0
Values for /dev/tty00
Interrupt: 0x4
Address: 0x3f8
Modem Control Value: 0xc
Status Port Vector: 0x0

$ ttypatch -d -t1
Values for /dev/tty01
Interrupt: 0x3
Address: 0x2f8
Modem Control Value: 0xc
Status Port Vector: 0x0

$ ttypatch -d -t2
Values for /dev/tty02
Interrupt: 0x3
Address: 0x100
Modem Control Value: 0xc
Status Port Vector: 0x0

I don't actually have tty02 port configured -- i just thought i would see what
was there now, since, if i *am* able to get another port configured, it would
tty02.

Now, I suppose that the address i could use for the next port would be 3e8?
But then what value do i use for the irq (Interrupt?) and the address?
In other words, here is the ttypatch command that i would use; the ?s are
what i need filled in:

$ ttypatch -t2 -i? -a?

The man page for ttypatch states that the -a value for com1 (3f8) is 1016 and
for com2 (2f8) is 760.

I haven't actually called intel up yet, but i wanted to get input from the net
first, since i suspect that the intel technical people will not have any idea
what i'm talking about.

Derek
--
Derek Terveer		det@hawkmoon.MN.ORG
			w(612)681-6986	h(612)688-0667

"A proper king is crowned" -- Thomas B. Costain

plocher@uport.UUCP (John Plocher) (09/02/88)

In article <297@hawkmoon.MN.ORG> det@hawkmoon.MN.ORG (Derek E. Terveer) writes:
>I am running uport 386/V 3.0-L2.2 on an acer-1100.  I have an intel above board
>286/ps installed, which means that there is an extra serial port that comes
>with the board.  I already have two serial ports installed, but would like to
>be able to use the 3rd serial port on the above board, if possible.

You need to find out how you can configure the ports, look at what you currently
have in the systen, and cross out any choices which are "already taken".
Any that are left are open for use by the intel board.  You set the board up
and run ttypatch to tell the system what you have done.

In general, IRQ lines *can not* be shared across boards.

    -John Plocher

wnp@dcs.UUCP (Wolf N. Paul) (09/03/88)

In article <451@uport.UUCP> plocher@uport.UUCP (John Plocher) writes:
>and run ttypatch to tell the system what you have done.
>
>In general, IRQ lines *can not* be shared across boards.
>
>    -John Plocher

That reminds me of a question I have been wanting to ask for a long time.

Can one configure the vanilla V/AT 2.3 (or later) driver to use four serial
ports which correspond to COM1-COM4 under DOS 3.3 (and earlier extensions)?

Usually they are set up as follows:

Board 1:       First port is  COM1, IRQ 4, Address 0x3f8
			   Second port is COM2, IRQ 3, Address 0x2f8

Board 2:       First port is  COM3, IRQ 4, Address 0x3e8
			   Second port is COM4, IRQ 3, Address 0x2e8

This would be using standard AT I/O cards using either of the two standard
uarts.

If not (and anyway :-) --
Stuart Lynne, are you listening? When is your driver going to be ready?
Will it support this type of configuration?
UUCP:     killer!dcs!wnp                 ESL: 62832882
DOMAIN:   dcs!wnp@killer.dallas.tx.us    TLX: 910-380-0585 EES PLANO UD

plocher@uport.UUCP (John Plocher) (09/06/88)

+----

+---- In article <196@dcs.UUCP> Wolf N. Paul writes:
|Can one configure the vanilla V/AT 2.3 (or later) driver to use four serial
|Board 1:       First port is  COM1, IRQ 4, Address 0x3f8
|               Second port is COM2, IRQ 3, Address 0x2f8
|Board 2:       First port is  COM3, IRQ 4, Address 0x3e8
|               Second port is COM4, IRQ 3, Address 0x2e8
+----

The problem with "sharing" IRQ lines across boards is the fact that
the hardware which drives the IRQ lines is not open collector logic,
but uses pull up resistors and normal line drivers.  This means that
if 2 boards (like the comm boards above) try to share the same IRQ lines
there will be hardware problems unless you physically modify the boards.

    -John Plocher

samperi@marob.MASA.COM (Dominick Samperi) (09/06/88)

In article <456@uport.UUCP> plocher@uport.UUCP (John Plocher) writes:
|>The problem with "sharing" IRQ lines across boards is the fact that
|>the hardware which drives the IRQ lines is not open collector logic,
|>but uses pull up resistors and normal line drivers.  This means that

Impressive, now about that C compiler bug... :-)
--
Dominick Samperi, NYC
    samperi@acf8.NYU.EDU	samperi@marob.MASA.COM