[comp.unix.microport] HDB uucp and uport SV/AT

larry@focsys.UUCP (Larry Williamson) (08/12/88)

I've grown to love the uucp on our BellTech system V/386.  The setup
in Release 3.0 is much more powerful.  Since our main feed out of here
is through our Microport system (V/AT), I thought I'd like to run
the HDB uucp that uport has on their BBS.  So, I've downloaded it.

At first glance it looks rather complete. All the stuff is there.

Has anyone installed it? What should I watch out for? I remember that
this has been discussed a while ago and someone said that you must still
maintain most of the old system, ie the L.sys file for example is still
required. Is this true?

If you email me, I'll summarize, if you post, I wont.

Thanks,
    Larry

--
Larry Williamson                      Focus Automation Systems
UUCP: watmath!focsys!larry    7-419 Phillip St. Waterloo, Ontario N2L 3X2

wnp@dcs.UUCP (Wolf N. Paul) (08/13/88)

In article <198@focsys.UUCP> larry@focsys.UUCP (Larry Williamson) writes:
>I thought I'd like to run
>the HDB uucp that uport has on their BBS.  So, I've downloaded it.
>
>At first glance it looks rather complete. All the stuff is there.
>
>Has anyone installed it? What should I watch out for? I remember that
>this has been discussed a while ago and someone said that you must still
>maintain most of the old system, ie the L.sys file for example is still
>required. Is this true?

If you downloaded it within the last few days or so, it should be the right
stuff. If you downloaded it more than a month ago or so, it probably is not.
Check if it includes cu and ct. If it does, you are ok, otherwise you got
the old version.

For a while, uPort had a pre-release version of HDB on the BBS, which did not
include cu, and thus you would have to keep the old support files for the
benefit of cu and ct. It also used the old style lock files (binary PID) in
/usr/spool/uucp -- which was necessary for it to work with cu.

Recently, I believe at John Plocher's behest, they have put the latest version
of HDB, which is really part of their 386 product, onto the BBS, compiled under
V/AT, and this includes new-style uucp, cu, and ct. It works rather well for
me (mail & news at 2400 Baud), but there are a few minor bugs -- i.e. it
won't accept reasonably complex entries in Dialers -- no PCP, for example. The
entry for Hayes is about the most complex it will accept.

Wolf
UUCP:     killer!dcs!wnp                 ESL: 62832882
DOMAIN:   wnp%dcs@killer.dallas.tx.us    TLX: 910-380-0585 EES PLANO UD

wnp@dcs.UUCP (Wolf N. Paul) (08/16/88)

In article <419@uport.UUCP> plocher@uport.UUCP (John Plocher) writes:
>In article <169@dcs.UUCP> wnp@dcs.UUCP (Wolf N. Paul) writes:
>>Recently, I believe at John Plocher's behest, they have put the latest version
>>of HDB, which is really part of their 386 product, onto the BBS
>
>Nope, Sully did that all himself :-)  I can't (as much as I'd like to)
>take credit for everything that happens here...  I've got a good team
>working for me; we're all pulling to make Microport the best we can.

My apologies to John Sully! Actually, I have always found him rather
helpful, too, even before John P. arrived there :-) ... not all was bad
ad Uport b.P. (before Plocher).

On a different subject:

I recently received e-mail from "jas@uport": there was no full name in the
note, anywhere.

Would you folks at Uport consider posting a list of login ids with full names
and job titles of those  of you who are likely to respond on the net, so
we have a better idea of who you are?

fyl@ssc.UUCP (Phil Hughes) (08/18/88)

In article <198@focsys.UUCP>, larry@focsys.UUCP (Larry Williamson) writes:

>                                         I thought I'd like to run
> the HDB uucp that uport has on their BBS.  So, I've downloaded it.

> Has anyone installed it? What should I watch out for

I don't have the one from the BBS but got one that I was told would cost
$15 from them.  (It cost $22 with shipping, cod, ...)  I love it.  I wish
it worked.

There is no printed documentation.  It is on the disk.  When you install
the disk, it wipes out your old uucp.  The documentation is all about ATT
dialers and stuff (even though the program dials a Hayes modem fine).
Sequence numbers are stored in hex but uux blows up when a sequence number
has a non-decimal digit in it.  There is no new cu so cu uses the L.sys
and L-devices file even though uucp uses Devices and Systems.

Enough bitching about what I got.  I sent mail to uport about it.  No
answer.  I sent mail to John Plocher at uport.  He said he didn't know
about the problem.  I sent him details.  Someone else on the net sent
me mail saying that he got the same version from uport and it had the
same problems.  I forwarded that to John Plocher.  All of this was about
3 weeks ago.  I give.

--
Phil    uunet!pilchuck!ssc!fyl

plocher@uport.UUCP (John Plocher) (08/20/88)

In article <175@dcs.UUCP> wnp@dcs.UUCP (Wolf N. Paul) writes:
>Would you folks at Uport consider posting a list of login ids with full names
>and job titles of those  of you who are likely to respond on the net, so
>we have a better idea of who you are?

Sure, but please don't inundate them with email - I am the one who has time
scheduled for handling net.answers, they don't.

Use uport!techs for general comments and bug reports/feature requests; it is
an alias which expands to cover most corners of the company; use uport!plocher
for specific questions and comments.

     ...uunet!uport!
                    techs	Tech Support alias

                    plocher     John Plocher - Customer Support Manager (me)
                    jmsully     John Sully   - Senior Support Engineer
                    jas         Jas Cluff    - 286 Support Coordinator
                    ken         Ken Chapin   - 386 Support Coordinator
                    keith       Keith Hankin - Engineering

    - John Plocher

In article <1418@ssc.UUCP> fyl@ssc.UUCP (Phil Hughes) writes:
>There is no printed documentation.  It is on the disk.

So print it out.  That is why we provided it.

> When you install the disk, it wipes out your old uucp.

Sure.  What do you expect, you *are* upgrading your uucp stuff.  It *should*
wipe out the old stuff.  It has a conversion script which converts the
old L.sys and L.devices files into the HDB versions; it replaces uucico
and friends because it *is* a new version!

You *did* do a backup first, didn't you? :-)

>dialers and stuff (even though the program dials a Hayes modem fine).
>Sequence numbers are stored in hex but uux blows up when a sequence number
>has a non-decimal digit in it.  There is no new cu so cu uses the L.sys
>and L-devices file even though uucp uses Devices and Systems.

The version we are shipping now does not have any of these problems - I know
because I checked.  There may have been other versions, I don't know (and
can't say) about them.  If yours has problems, call Tech Support, please.
We will help, I promise.

>Enough bitching about what I got.  I sent mail to uport about it.  No
>answer.  I sent mail to John Plocher at uport.  He said he didn't know
>about the problem.  I sent him details.  Someone else on the net sent

And I looked into it (see above). I also sent you replies with all this
info in them.  Since it seems you didn't get it, would you please
call me.  Thanks.

>I give.

I don't.

>--
>Phil    uunet!pilchuck!ssc!fyl

    -John Plocher
     Microport systems

PS, to ALL

  If you send me email, please include a phone number and (if appropriate)
your address.  I can't do much to help if all my replies bounce because
of email problems...

tkevans@fallst.UUCP (Tim Evans) (09/01/88)

In article <1418@ssc.UUCP>, fyl@ssc.UUCP (Phil Hughes) writes:
> In article <198@focsys.UUCP>, larry@focsys.UUCP (Larry Williamson) writes:
>
> >                                         I thought I'd like to run
> > the HDB uucp that uport has on their BBS.  So, I've downloaded it.

At least you _got_ it.  I've been waiting and waiting to get validated for
upload/download on the uport BBS.  Plocher's recent posting here promised
one or two-day validation.  I've been waiting almost two WEEKS.  Not only
that, but I went through this before:  I registered, serial number and all,
then waited WEEKS for validation--next thing I knew, uport's BBS had "lost"
it user file and I had to register all over again...

--
UUCP:  ...!{rutgers|ames|uunet}!mimsy!aplcen!wb3ffv!fallst!tkevans
OTHER: ...!attmail!fallst!tkevans

plocher@uport.UUCP (John Plocher) (09/06/88)

In article <446@fallst.UUCP> tkevans@fallst.UUCP (Tim Evans) writes:
>At least you _got_ it.  I've been waiting and waiting to get validated for
>upload/download on the uport BBS.  Plocher's recent posting here promised

I *just* went thru the validation process on the bbs and everyone who has
requested validation thru the NEW user registration prompts has been
validated for file access.  I do this on a "every other day" schedule;
John Sully does it "daily".  If one of us forgets, the other will catch it
and validate people.

If you really *must* access the bbs quickly, call in as NEW, fill out the
registration form, hang up, and then call me at (408) 438-8649 and ask to be
validated.  It only takes a few minutes...

   -John Plocher

PS, if you don't give a valid serial number or contract # you will not be
validated.

tkevans@fallst.UUCP (Tim Evans) (09/09/88)

In article <455@uport.UUCP>, plocher@uport.UUCP (John Plocher) writes:
> In article <446@fallst.UUCP> tkevans@fallst.UUCP (Tim Evans) writes:
> >At least you _got_ it.  I've been waiting and waiting to get validated for
> >upload/download on the uport BBS.  Plocher's recent posting here promised
>
> validated for file access.  I do this on a "every other day" schedule;
> John Sully does it "daily".  If one of us forgets, the other will catch it
> and validate people.

Sorry, John, but it took 10 (count 'em) days between the time I registered
as a "NEW" bbs user and the time I was validated.  And, as you know, it also
took personal mail addressed to you asking for the validation.

"Daily" means "every day" and there is no way you can tell me that my
experience fits the definition of "daily".

In any case, I suppose, all's well that ends well (I did finally get
validated).