[comp.unix.microport] uport's new SysV/AT 'vi'--What does it do?

tkevans@fallst.UUCP (Tim Evans) (09/09/88)

If you're a validated Microport BBS user, with a registered serial number,
the BBS will allow you to download a new 'vi' editor for System V/AT.  Can
someone tell me what's new about this and why I'd use it over the one
distributed with version 2.2-L?  (Actually, I have downloaded it, and all
I can see about it is that it takes _forever_ to load--my system is a
10mhz AT clone with 2.2 megs RAM.)
--
UUCP:  ...!{rutgers|ames|uunet}!mimsy!aplcen!wb3ffv!fallst!tkevans
OTHER: ...!attmail!fallst!tkevans

wnp@dcs.UUCP (Wolf N. Paul) (09/10/88)

In article <449@fallst.UUCP> tkevans@fallst.UUCP (Tim Evans) writes:
>If you're a validated Microport BBS user, with a registered serial number,
>the BBS will allow you to download a new 'vi' editor for System V/AT.  Can
>someone tell me what's new about this and why I'd use it over the one
>distributed with version 2.2-L?  (Actually, I have downloaded it, and all
>I can see about it is that it takes _forever_ to load--my system is a
>10mhz AT clone with 2.2 megs RAM.)

The major bug with the older version of vi is that if you do a series of
":x,ys/oldstuff/newstuff/" commands, _sometimes_ the substitute command
stops working, so you have to write and quit, and then re-invoke vi if you
want to continue editing the same file. There were a couple other smaller
bugs, like being inexplicably thrown into "ex" mode.

The new vi fixes those bugs.

Wolf
UUCP:     killer!dcs!wnp                 ESL: 62832882
DOMAIN:   dcs!wnp@killer.dallas.tx.us    TLX: 910-380-0585 EES PLANO UD

bak@csd-v.UUCP (Bruce A. Kern) (09/11/88)

In article <202@dcs.UUCP> wnp@dcs.UUCP (Wolf N. Paul) writes:
>In article <449@fallst.UUCP> tkevans@fallst.UUCP (Tim Evans) writes:
>>If you're a validated Microport BBS user, with a registered serial number,
>>the BBS will allow you to download a new 'vi' editor for System V/AT.
>
>The major bug with the older version of vi is that ...
	[ two bugs described ].
>The new vi fixes those bugs.

How about the bug that if you try to use wild cards or exported shell variables
in ex mode vi doesn't find any matches. e.g.:

:e *
No match

and

:e $HOME/.profile
No match

I know this works in other versions of vi ( V/68 and Venix for instance ).
I find it quite annoying.

Notice however that the shell will still match these from within vi, e.g.:

:!ls $HOME/.p*
/usr/bak/.pnewsexpert
/usr/bak/.profile
--
Bruce A. Kern                                  1-203-270-0399
Computer Systems Design                        Voice: 730 - 1700 Mon. thru Fri.