[comp.unix.microport] Need help with "ct" and TZ

thornton@wm6r.UUCP (John Thornton) (09/13/88)

I'm having trouble getting "ct" to work.  When I invoke ct with the
following command line:

ct -v -h -w3 -s1200 5261999

I see that a lock file /usr/spool/uucp/LCK..tty1 is created, but then it
never calls!  I have tried removing the LCK file but then ct makes a new
one about a minute later.

I get in the output log "nohup.out":

1 busy dialer at 1200 baud
Waiting for dialer
Dialer is busy (1 minute)
Dialer is busy (2 minutes)
Dialer is busy (3 minutes)
*** TIMEOUT ***

My questions: How does one use ct to call a terminal as specified in the
manual?

I am using HDB uucp that I got from John Sully a long time ago.  I have
modified it to work with a smarter modem but it still uses the Systems
file and Devices instead of L.sys and L-devices (as cu and ct do).
I'm real pleased with HDB but have been unable to figure out one thing:
When a system calls in for which I have the CALLBACK option set, the uulog
entries are in EST instead of PST!  All outgoing uucp stuff has the correct
time zone.  I know about environment variable TZ, is there some way to set
it globally?  It seemd to default to EST.

ucbvax!ucscc!wm6r!thornton

jmsully@uport.UUCP (John M. Sully) (09/17/88)

In article <174@wm6r.UUCP> thornton@wm6r.UUCP (John Thornton) writes:
|I'm having trouble getting "ct" to work.  When I invoke ct with the
|following command line:
|
|ct -v -h -w3 -s1200 5261999

I don't believe that ct was ever modified to work with the dialinfo stuff
that cu and uucico use.  That means that it only knows how to dial a Ven-
Tel MD212 or something like that.

|I'm real pleased with HDB but have been unable to figure out one thing:
|When a system calls in for which I have the CALLBACK option set, the uulog
|entries are in EST instead of PST!  All outgoing uucp stuff has the correct
|time zone.  I know about environment variable TZ, is there some way to set
|it globally?  It seemd to default to EST.

To do this you would probably need to wrap uucico in a script which sets the
TZ variable.  The TZ variable is normally set in /etc/profile.

Also, the 2.4 version of System V/AT will include the BNU UUCP system, for
all of you who are interested.

John M. Sully

vjs@rhyolite.SGI.COM (Vernon Schryver) (09/17/88)

In article <471@uport.UUCP>, jmsully@uport.UUCP (John M. Sully) writes:
> To do this you would probably need to wrap uucico in a script which sets the
> TZ variable.  The TZ variable is normally set in /etc/profile.

The SVR3.0 version of init does not seem to check /etc/TIMEZONE.  I
thot it did and did it wrong, but now I can't find it at all.  The
SVR3.1 version does open /etc/TIMEZONE, parse the contents, and export
them for its children.  I don't know that the AT&T SVR3.1 version works
without change, but I do know that it is easy to make it work, and that
the change between SVR3.0 & SVR3.1 for this feature by itself is well
isolated.

One might have to check getty and login to ensure that they either parse
/etc/TIMEZONE or pass TZ.  The SVR3.0 version of login strips TZ (a bug),
while the SVR3.1 version passes TZ.

Both of these changes are ancient in older SV systems that were not overly
dogmatic about AT&T bug-compatibility.

So, for those of you with source (not me at home), presumably including
Microport, ...

Could Microport put new binaries in the bulletin board?

Vernon Schryver
vjs@sgi.com