[comp.unix.microport] QIC-40 Tape Driver?

sjb@dalek.UUCP (Seth J. Bradley) (09/20/88)

Last time I checked, Microport only offered tape driver
support for QIC-02 interface tape drives.  These drives
are quite expensive, the cheapest going for around $800.
There are a large number of QIC-40 drives available for
around $300 which is much more in keeping with the price
of an AT type machine.  Does anyone know of a driver
available for the QIC-40 interface for V/AT?  Will Microport
ever offer QIC-40 support?  Enquiring minds want to know!

--
Seth J. Bradley     UUCP: uunet!lll-winken!dalek!sjb
		Internet: lll-winken.llnl.gov!dalek!sjb

karl@njs.UUCP (karl) (09/21/88)

In article <408@dalek.UUCP> sjb@dalek.UUCP (Seth J. Bradley) writes:
>...  Does anyone know of a driver
>available for the QIC-40 interface for V/AT?  Will Microport
>ever offer QIC-40 support?  Enquiring minds want to know!
>
>--
>Seth J. Bradley     UUCP: uunet!lll-winken!dalek!sjb
>		Internet: lll-winken.llnl.gov!dalek!sjb

I don't know about Microport, but I bought an Archive Qic-40 to play with
with the hopes of writing a drive for it.  Well...I'm sure it could be done
(Although...SLOW) but archive has flat out refused to release any information
about the interface electronics or any hints on programming it!  I don't
see how a UNIX version of their software would hurt their company, but they
seem to think so.  If anyone has any secret information about QIC-40, please
let me know...I'll write the driver.  Otherwise anybody want to but a cheap
tape drive?

Karl Vollbrecht                             Vollbrecht & Assc.
(414) 358-1180 (office)
(414) 527-3271 (home)