[comp.unix.microport] running pcomm

suhans@let.vu.nl (suhans) (09/20/88)

I have the pcomm programm running on my Laser-AT with an EGA-wondercard
You must change the lines with *str, see previous postings.These lines
are in port.c but also in curses.c.
I have just one problem running pcomm, I think it's my EGAwonder-card
but I don't know. The problem is that the screen in not restored properly
when leaving pcomm, the two bottom lines can't be used any more, when
I exec ls at the bottomlines the screen is just scrolling at the two
lines.I only can restore this by rebooting.
When running pcomm the screen also is not redrawing properly.
But I can call other systems using pcomm and it does run like the
MSDOS version.

Organisation:	Free University, Faculty of Literature
                Amsterdam, the Netherlands
Name:		Hans Varkevisser (system administrator)
                hans@let.vu.nl  or let.vu.nl!hans UUCP

scotty@l5comp.UUCP (Scott Turner) (09/21/88)

In article <555@vulet.let.vu.nl.UUCP> suhans@let.vu.nl (suhans) writes:
>but I don't know. The problem is that the screen in not restored properly
>when leaving pcomm, the two bottom lines can't be used any more, when
>I exec ls at the bottomlines the screen is just scrolling at the two
>lines.I only can restore this by rebooting.

This problem also shows up under System V/386 2.2. Under that system I have
had great success in regaining full use of the console by using: tput clear.

Note that relief does seem to be in the works for System V/386 users, I have
NEVER seen this problem under System V/386 3.0e...

(I guess they fixed it.)

Scott Turner
scotty@l5comp -or- uunet!l5comp!scotty

plocher@uport.UUCP (John Plocher) (09/22/88)

In article <555@vulet.let.vu.nl.UUCP> suhans@let.vu.nl (suhans) writes:
>when leaving pcomm, the two bottom lines can't be used any more, when
>I exec ls at the bottomlines the screen is just scrolling at the two
>lines.I only can restore this by rebooting.

This is a known bug in the terminfo file / console driver interaction.
Workaround is to
	tput clear
Reason is that you are left in the 25th line "scrolling region" and not
in the active part of the screen.  The tput clears the screen and puts
the cursor in the first window (lines 1 to 24)

Fixed in 3.0e

    -John Plocher