[comp.unix.microport] Can't backup to floppy

will@cygnet.CYGNETSYSTEMS (Will Nelson) (09/16/88)

The shit hit the fan today.
For the past six months, we have been backing up our Microport
System v/386 by rcp'ing things over the network to a VAX, and
backing the files up to 9-track tape.

We had some bad spots appear on disk 0, so we had to reload
everything from floppies again: runtime system, development system,
link kit, Network Services Extensions, MICOM-Interlan NP626,
Locus Merge, Microsoft C compiler, Microsoft Macro Assembler, etc.
Each time we have done this, it has been a royal pain in the ass.
Eight sets of different floppies, eight sets of documentation,
countless little tricks to get things to work.

We decided this time to back everything up to floppies,
so that the next time we get bad spots on the hard disk,
we can re-format the disk and load just one set of floppies.
Should have done this the first time, you say?
Well, we were (are are still) waiting for a cartridge tape
driver, well, nevermind ...

The zinger: I got through cpio'ing files to the first floppy,
when it said:

	cpio: ERROR: Can't open /dev/tty for reading

The permissions on /dev/tty were 666, owned by root.
Permissions on the /dev directory were 755, owned by root.

Thinking this was some kind of a joke, I wrote a little C
program which just opens /dev/tty for reading. Worked fine
from my networked terminal, but when I tried it from the
console, it failed: "No such device or address".

That's right, you got it: I can't back the &ENCD%$@K!! system
up to floppy with a network/Locus Merge kernel from the console.
cpio didn't seem to work any better (in fact, worse) from the
networked terminal, and we have no serial ports.

I called Microport: We can't help you, because you don't have
a service contract! This is fucking bullshit!!!!!

Well, John Plocher, do you want to stick the system up your ass?
--
Will Nelson		uucp: {decvax!decwrl}!pyramid!oliveb!cygnet!will
Cygnet Systems, Inc.

will@cygnet.CYGNETSYSTEMS (Will Nelson) (09/17/88)

Microport called me today, and after comparing notes,
we came up with a better characterization of what the
bug is and how to get around it.

The bug really seems to be in the Merge386 keyboard
driver. The networked kernel that we built from the
Microport .o's (atconf) doesn't include the Merge
.o's. The plan is to boot this kernel to do the
backup onto floppies, and to keep the Merge kernel
around for re-booting later. This allows us to substitute the
one set of floppies after a hard disk re-format, and not have
to load the multiple sets of floppies.

They were more civil than my tirade that I posted yesterday.
Sorry if I ruffled feathers.
I just get upset when I find out that the system can't be backed up.
Now that I have a plan for a workaround, I know that the 80 floppies ( :-( )
we purchased yesterday won't be wasted.
--

dave@micropen (David F. Carlson) (09/17/88)

In article <913@cygnet.CYGNETSYSTEMS>, will@cygnet.CYGNETSYSTEMS (Will Nelson) writes:
> The shit hit the fan today.
> MICOM-Interlan NP626,
> Locus Merge
>
> That's right, you got it: I can't back the &ENCD%$@K!! system
> up to floppy with a network/Locus Merge kernel from the console.
> cpio didn't seem to work any better (in fact, worse) from the
> networked terminal, and we have no serial ports.
>
> I called Microport: We can't help you, because you don't have
> a service contract! This is fucking bullshit!!!!!
>
> Well, John Plocher, do you want to stick the system up your ass?
> Will Nelson		uucp: {decvax!decwrl}!pyramid!oliveb!cygnet!will

Sir:
You have absolutely no right to pollute this forum with *your*
"fucking bullshit."  You bought a multi-vendor system without
any support from any of your vendors or a qualified support organization
like a system integrator.  You obviously don't possess the capability
of debugging the problem in a rational manner.  And you make threats
of physical violence in a public place.  Over a telephone what you
have written here is assault.  Mr. Plocher could well have you arrested.
If you didn't know what a multivendor "everything for $199" multiuser
computer entails when you bought it means you are either very naive or
very stupid.

In either case:  get it off this forum!  It doesn't belong here at all.

--
David F. Carlson, Micropen, Inc.
micropen!dave@ee.rochester.edu

"The faster I go, the behinder I get." --Lewis Carroll

scotty@l5comp.UUCP (Scott Turner) (09/17/88)

In article <913@cygnet.CYGNETSYSTEMS> will@cygnet.CYGNETSYSTEMS (Will Nelson) writes:
>The shit hit the fan today.
Which fan?

>We decided this time to back everything up to floppies,
>so that the next time we get bad spots on the hard disk,
>we can re-format the disk and load just one set of floppies.
>Should have done this the first time, you say?
>Well, we were (are are still) waiting for a cartridge tape
>driver, well, nevermind ...
Yeah, it always comes to you AFTER the hard drive bites it, and then after
you've gotten through reloading it you don't have the energy to dump it
back to floppies.

>The zinger: I got through cpio'ing files to the first floppy,
>That's right, you got it: I can't back the &ENCD%$@K!! system
>up to floppy with a network/Locus Merge kernel from the console.
Are you using cpio or cpout?

I've used cpout to make a backup set of floppies (before I got the Everex
cartridge tape driver, you really should buy the service contract :) and all
worked fine for me. The system here has NSE, DosMerge, and the unlimited user
kit installed.

>I called Microport: We can't help you, because you don't have
>a service contract! This is fucking bullshit!!!!!
I've never had ANYONE at Microport tell me this. I've been told that I'd
have to wait for bug fixes until the next release if I didn't have an
update contract (so I could get non-scheduled bug fixes.) So I bought
the contract.

All in all I've found Microport's tech support to be on top of things. My
major complaint is that they don't publish a bug list so we can avoid the
known bugs rather than stepping on them.

>Well, John Plocher, do you want to stick the system up your ass?
We got so discouraged with unix/386 here at L5 Computing that we went back
to DOS for awhile. And we never told Mr. Plocher what to do with his unix. :)

Of course this was mainly due to the timely arrival of yet one more Beta to
try out. This last one, System V/386 3.0e looks REAL good. I hope you have
an update contract because I think you'll like it, I know we have.

If you want someone who will REALLY get your blood pressure up I'd suggest
using Bell Technologies' Unix/386. Their idea of customer support is to
issue a "Return for refund RMA". (The hardware end of Bell Tech seems more
flexible, they fixed the W.G.E. we sent back for repair in about 4 hours.
Went back out the same day they got it...)

So you MIGHT want to be nicer to the boys at Microport, you CAN do a WHOLE
LOT WORSE... Take it from someone who's been there (with Bell Tech), you think
you're mad? Just imagine being told that they won't fix the problem, with or
without a service contract!!! (But they'll be HAPPY to refund yer money, grrr)

And yes, we've reinstalled Microport unix 22 times here (we keep a system
diary.) And done other things that would make your hair stand on end. I don't
like Microport because we haven't had any trouble with their product, but
because they've stood solidly behind it.

Scott Turner
scotty@l5comp -or- uunet!l5comp!scotty

In article <547@micropen> dave@micropen (David F. Carlson) writes:
>of physical violence in a public place.  Over a telephone what you
>have written here is assault.  Mr. Plocher could well have you arrested.
I doubt it.

>If you didn't know what a multivendor "everything for $199" multiuser
>computer entails when you bought it means you are either very naive or
>very stupid.
The system described is hardly a $199 system. The Interlan package alone
costs $1500+. NSE, Merge386 add another $700 to the total.

Hardly a $199 system...

If you are going to flame someone in public and try to kick their ass out
of town, PLEASE try and get YOUR facts straight.

karl@ddsw1.UUCP (Karl Denninger) (09/17/88)

In article <547@micropen> dave@micropen (David F. Carlson) writes:
>In article <913@cygnet.CYGNETSYSTEMS>, will@cygnet.CYGNETSYSTEMS (Will Nelson) writes:
>> The shit hit the fan today.
>> MICOM-Interlan NP626,
>> Locus Merge
>>
>> That's right, you got it: I can't back the &ENCD%$@K!! system
>> up to floppy with a network/Locus Merge kernel from the console.

>Sir:
>You have absolutely no right to pollute this forum with *your*
>"fucking bullshit."  You bought a multi-vendor system without
>any support from any of your vendors or a qualified support organization
>like a system integrator.  You obviously don't possess the capability
>of debugging the problem in a rational manner.

I see.

Well, I can say this:

	If I had just purchased software which was advertised to *work*, and
	found that one of the fundamental operations (ie: writing to floppy)
	didn't work due to someone mangling one (or more) of the drivers,
	I'd be more than a little pissed off!

The "solution" which was found is a non-solution.  What we're talking about
here is a simple failure of QC.  Having the customer boot a different kernel
to write floppy disks isn't "debugging" or lack of knowing debugging
procedures, it's an admission that the operating system is _BROKEN_, and
broken in a serious manner.

One question for the gentelman who has had the problems:

	Is this the _new_ version of DOSMERGE that Mr. Plocher said wouldn't
	ship until _all_ the bugs were out, and it _worked_?

If not, then you've been warned in this forum many times prior to now.  If
so then Mr. Plocher's QC attempt on the new MERGE kernel was a dismal failure.

--
Karl Denninger (ddsw1!karl) Data: (312) 566-8912, Voice: (312) 566-8910
Macro Computer Solutions, Inc.    "Quality solutions at a fair price"

plocher@uport.UUCP (John Plocher) (09/19/88)

+---- In <1716@ddsw1.UUCP> Karl Denninger writes:
| +---- In <913@cygnet.CYGNETSYSTEMS>, Will Nelson writes:
| | MICOM-Interlan NP626,
| | Locus Merge
| | That's right, you got it: I can't back the &ENCD%$@K!! system
| | up to floppy with a network/Locus Merge kernel from the console.
| +----
| I see.
|
| The "solution" which was found is a non-solution.  What we're talking about
| here is a simple failure of QC.
| 	Is this the _new_ version of DOSMERGE that Mr. Plocher said wouldn't
| 	ship until _all_ the bugs were out, and it _worked_?
+----

#define SARCASM

You don't really "see", though.  You just jump in and complain.
Without knowing *anything* about version numbers and configuration
specifics.  I *really* could use someone like you on my support staff,
able to diagnose problems in a single bound without knowing what the
problem really was!
And, no, he doesn't have V/386 3.0e/DM 1.1.

#undef SARCASM

Writing to a floppy from the console has been tested with the following
(non-exhaustive) list of system configurations:  (All of them passed)

	V/386 2.2  & Micom NP600A Pre-V1.0
	V/386 2.2  & Micom NP600A V1.0
	V/386 2.2  & Micom NP600A V1.0 & DosMerge 1.0
	V/386 3.0e & Micom NP600A V1.0
	V/386 3.0e & Micom NP600A V1.0 & DosMerge 1.1

Since I have not talked to Mr Nelson yet, I can't say what his problem is.
I can say, though, that it is *not* because of a lack of QC for 3.0e and DM 1.1.

>Karl Denninger

  -John Plocher

plocher@uport.UUCP (John Plocher) (09/19/88)

In article <pick any in the last few days:-> Everyone seems to be writing:
>have written here is assault.  Mr. Plocher could well have you arrested.

Why should I?  He's a customer who has a problem that needs to be fixed.

Standing Microport policy is to offer a 30 day money back warrenty on our
products, as well as a 30 day-from-the-time-you-send-in-the-registration-form
installation support by phone.  We are willing to take bug reports and
system failure reports at any time.  We also offer an extended support plan
to those who need more than the initial 30 days of support.

Actual implementation is that if you have problems installing our software
just call and talk to us - anytime.  Ditto for bug reports and system failures.
If you have any other non-installation problems, you really need a "hotline"
support agreement.

Nr Nelson should have gotten through - I would have hoped that he would have
"flamed" by phone, but that's water over the dam now.  The support group has a
call screening procedure to intercept sales calls and non-installation
questions;  it does its job well, but sometimes someone falls through the
cracks.  I will talk to the receptionists about this, too.

    -John Plocher

pete@ddsw1.UUCP (Peter Franks) (09/20/88)

:| ...
:+----
:
:  I *really* could use someone like you on my support staff
:
:  -John Plocher

Hey, Karl -- I think you just got a job offer!!  *8^)

(Actually, if Mr. Plocher can quote things out of context, I feel I can,
too.)
--
-------------
Remember:

will@cygnet.CYGNETSYSTEMS (Will Nelson) (09/20/88)

In article <1716@ddsw1.UUCP>, karl@ddsw1.UUCP (Karl Denninger) writes:

> One question for the gentelman who has had the problems:
>
> 	Is this the _new_ version of DOSMERGE that Mr. Plocher said wouldn't
> 	ship until _all_ the bugs were out, and it _worked_?
>
> If not, then you've been warned in this forum many times prior to now.  If
> so then Mr. Plocher's QC attempt on the new MERGE kernel was a dismal failure.
>
> --
> Karl Denninger (ddsw1!karl) Data: (312) 566-8912, Voice: (312) 566-8910
> Macro Computer Solutions, Inc.    "Quality solutions at a fair price"

The floppies are labeled:

	Merge 386 Link Kit Version 1.0A
	Merge 386 for AT Compatibles, Version 1.00
		Use with UNIX System V/386
		rel 3.0 vers. 1.0

I doubt if this is the _new_ version of DOSMERGE;
we've had it for about six months.

Again, I apologize to those who are sensitive about four
letter words for using them in this forum.

I do not apologize for alerting the 386 Microport user
community about a very serious problem.
--

bill@carpet.WLK.COM (Bill Kennedy) (09/20/88)

In article <926@cygnet.CYGNETSYSTEMS> will@cygnet.CYGNETSYSTEMS (Will Nelson) writes:
>In article <1716@ddsw1.UUCP>, karl@ddsw1.UUCP (Karl Denninger) writes:

[ stuff about Merge ]

>Again, I apologize to those who are sensitive about four
>letter words for using them in this forum.

Well I'm not squeamish about four letter words, but I'm reminded of several
when Microport Merge/386 is the discussion topic.

>I do not apologize for alerting the 386 Microport user
>community about a very serious problem.

Me neither.  I have a letter, signed by an officer of the firm, thanking
me for being a pioneer and promising me the latest and greatest debugged
release in exchange for my being a pioneer.  So here I sit with Merge 0.2,
grumbling from Microport about not replacing a beta with a beta, and John's
crowing about how thoroughly QC'd everything is.

Sorry, I just don't buy it.  Microport has my money, registration card,
email address, and telephone number.  I have kakah and promises over an
officer's signature.  My woes preceded John Plocher and I'd shut up if

1)  They'd ship what I paid for (i.e. a working Merge/386)
2)  John would quit crowing until #1 above was done.

I'm weary of being a pioneer, most especially since I wasn't aware I was
one until I opened the letter.  I'd like to have the manual that's so
often mentioned in my docs (for which John blames Locus).  I didn't buy a
*thing* from Locus; I paid full retail for *MICROPORT*.

I asked for fire retardant for John until someone posted something that was
complimentary.  I read both of them, shut up for a month, and now I'm on
the warpath again.  He (John Plocher) inherited a bad situation.  My check-
book says that I have funds disbursed for value not received.  I agree,
wholeheartedly with  Karl and Will; CAVEAT EMPTOR and make that phosphor
red if you are looking at Microport.
--
Bill Kennedy  Internet:  bill@ssbn.WLK.COM
                Usenet:  { killer | att | rutgers | uunet!bigtex }!ssbn!bill

will@cygnet.CYGNETSYSTEMS (Will Nelson) (09/20/88)

In article <473@uport.UUCP>, plocher@uport.UUCP (John Plocher) writes:

> Writing to a floppy from the console has been tested with the following
> (non-exhaustive) list of system configurations:  (All of them passed)
>
> 	V/386 2.2  & Micom NP600A Pre-V1.0
> 	V/386 2.2  & Micom NP600A V1.0
> 	V/386 2.2  & Micom NP600A V1.0 & DosMerge 1.0
> 	V/386 3.0e & Micom NP600A V1.0
> 	V/386 3.0e & Micom NP600A V1.0 & DosMerge 1.1
>
> Since I have not talked to Mr Nelson yet, I can't say what his problem is.
> I can say, though, that it is *not* because of a lack of QC for 3.0e and DM 1.1.

My system configuration is

	V/386 Runtime System			Version 2.1
	V/386 Software Development System		2.2
	V/386 Link Kit					2.1
	/usr/include/sys files				2.2* (2.1 lacked buf.h)
	Network Services Extensions			2.2
	Micom-Interlan NP626				1.0
	Merge 386					1.0
	Merge 386 Link Kit				1.0A

Note that it's not writing to a floppy that is the problem;
it is writing a multi-floppy cpio archive that is the problem.
The first floppy gets written successfully.
The cpio program exits before I get a chance to write to the
second floppy.
--
Will Nelson		uucp: {decvax!decwrl}!pyramid!oliveb!cygnet!will
Cygnet Systems, Inc.
601 West California Avenue
Sunnyvale, CA  94086-4831	(408) 773-0770

jac@penguin.UUCP (James Carter) (09/21/88)

We have tried to install the MERGE/386 and Bell Tech's UNIX on a Compaq Deskpro
system, and have discovered "we don't work with that tape drive" (quoted from
a recent conversation with both the Bell Tech and Merge folks. According to
them, they have never encountered the _standard_compaq_internal_tape_drive
before. (Compaq must have sold thousands of them by now!) So now how does the
end user do backups? (Not with the 360K floppy if you have at least 15M to
copy!)

So far, no answer on how it will be fixed...am I really the only one?

James A. (JC) Carter				|
Penguin Business Systems, Inc.			|   When in doubt..
UUCP:  ..!okstate!romed!penguin!jac		|	SWAP it out..

scotty@l5comp.UUCP (Scott Turner) (09/21/88)

In article <153@carpet.WLK.COM> bill@ssbn.WLK.COM (Bill Kennedy) writes:
>In article <926@cygnet.CYGNETSYSTEMS> will@cygnet.CYGNETSYSTEMS (Will Nelson) writes:
>I'm weary of being a pioneer, most especially since I wasn't aware I was
>one until I opened the letter.  I'd like to have the manual that's so
>often mentioned in my docs (for which John blames Locus).  I didn't buy a
>*thing* from Locus; I paid full retail for *MICROPORT*.

Yeah, Microport is a might twitchy about this topic. I had some marketing
type call me up last friday and ask me a bunch of "screening" questions.
He said he was looking for 10 DOSMerge users to turn over to a magazine
editor who was doing a DOSMerge review and wanted to talk to some REAL
users. Thinking back over the questions I'm not quite certain what to
make of that phone call, was it for real? Or were they just out finding
out what the troops though of them? :)

But one question that came up, flares attached for attention, was about what
I thought of the industry practice of releasing beta versions of products...

I told the guy I thought beta's were VERY important, but that the customer
should know what they were getting up front. Not when the package arrived.
And that I wasn't too thrilled over this when it happened to me over the
original DOSMerge... Well if they really were looking for 10 happy users
I guess I blew it on that question. :-)

Ah yes! The famous missing manual. Or, "How exactly do you use that $#@!
doskey program?"

Interestingly enough Microport didn't answer my question about how to use
doskey when I asked 'em about it. Maybe they don't have a copy of the manual
either. :)

But I can report that Bell Technologies doesn't have it either. The DOSMerge
they sell, for use with their unix, comes straight from Locus. So I guess
Locus doesn't have the manual either, yet SOMEBODY has it. Else why the
references to it?

The thing that get's under my skin more than the missing DOSMerge manual
(I mean I DID puzzle out how to use doskey all by my lonesome, wellll I did
cheat and use strings too...) are the missing online manual pages. Nobody
has 'em. Neither Microport or Bell Technologies. They do exist for System V
Release 3.0 though, I saw 'em on a MIPS Computing unix platform. They were
GREAT too, AT&T did more than work over the printed dox, the online pages
are MUCH MUCH MUCH better as well.

>book says that I have funds disbursed for value not received.  I agree,
>wholeheartedly with  Karl and Will; CAVEAT EMPTOR and make that phosphor
>red if you are looking at Microport.
>--
>Bill Kennedy  Internet:  bill@ssbn.WLK.COM

I say at this point, "Ask not what Microport can do for you, but rather
what you can do for Microport."

If the manual pages just aren't converted from the Generic Release 3.0 notes,
hey! Make the, to quote George Bush, "24 hour time period" of some of us out
here and release 'em as beta's. I know that there are several people around
here at L5 Computing, myself included, that would be happy to help out.

It seems to me that those people who were willing to work WITH Microport got
put on the beta site list and thus got to work with them on making a better
product. Those who would rather jump up and down and scream alot about "I
paid for a fully working product and I want it *NOW* goddamn it!" didn't
get on the beta site list. And since they weren't going to contribute they
should have just decided they couldn't handle the fact that a bug free
product wasn't available and just sued Microport. Then there would be
blissful silence for those trying to fix it since the whinners would be
only able to say "No Comment" since the case was still pending. :)

And I'll say it again, things could be worse. Bell Technologies' often
quoted policy of "We only ship the REAL AT&T certified binaries. Not one
bit has been changed." is a double edged sword... I finally made sense of
their policy of "Refund RMA's before support" when I ran the above through
my head one more time. If there's a bug, no matter HOW BAD, or easy to fix,
they can't fix it!!!! Kinda obvious now that I think about it. A WONDERFUL
Catch-22 though. :)

"Bell Technologies, we sell only the certified AT&T release, no matter how
fuckedup it is. But we support what we sell, so long as we don't have to
modify it."

(They make some really great hardware though, and they do seem to be able to
make bug fixes on the hardware.)

samperi@marob.MASA.COM (Dominick Samperi) (09/22/88)

In article <430@l5comp.UUCP> scotty@l5comp.UUCP (Scott Turner) writes:
>The thing that get's under my skin more than the missing DOSMerge manual
>(I mean I DID puzzle out how to use doskey all by my lonesome, wellll I did
>cheat and use strings too...) are the missing online manual pages. Nobody
>has 'em. Neither Microport or Bell Technologies. They do exist for System V

Microport has'em, and they're pretty good. They sent me a pre-release
version of the man pages a few months ago. Don't know why they don't ship
them now...I haven't heard a peep from them since I posted my messages
about bugs and tech support...still waiting...zzzzzzz
--
Dominick Samperi, NYC
    samperi@acf8.NYU.EDU	samperi@marob.MASA.COM

larry@focsys.UUCP (Larry Williamson) (09/23/88)

In article <520@penguin.UUCP> jac@penguin.UUCP (James Carter) writes:

|We have tried to install the MERGE/386 and Bell Tech's UNIX on a Compaq Deskpro
|system, and have discovered "we don't work with that tape drive" (quoted from
|a recent conversation with both the Bell Tech and Merge folks. According to
|them, they have never encountered the _standard_compaq_internal_tape_drive
|before. (Compaq must have sold thousands of them by now!) So now how does the
|end user do backups? (Not with the 360K floppy if you have at least 15M to
|copy!)
|
|So far, no answer on how it will be fixed...am I really the only one?

No, you are not the only one. I've posted a similiar comment to the net
a few weeks ago. It appears that Bell Tech does not support any of the
industry standard drives. What they do support is their own special
drive. This drive is very similiar to the QIC-36 standard. They even
use the standard QIC-02 interface board, but with some special roms.

Too bad you decided to use Bell  Tech instead of ISC or uport, as they
support more standard hardware (if limited, at least it is off the shelf
stuff that you can get at your neighbourhood hardware store).

I would recommend that you cut your losses now, and switch.

--
Larry Williamson  -- Focus Automation Systems -- Waterloo, Ontario
                       watmath!focsys!larry       (519) 746-4918

dar@belltec.UUCP (Dimitri Rotow) (09/24/88)

In article <520@penguin.UUCP>, jac@penguin.UUCP (James Carter) writes:

> We have tried to install MERGE/386 and Bell Tech's UNIX on a Compaq Deskpro
> system, and have discovered "we don't work with that tape drive" (quoted from
> a recent conversation with both the Bell Tech and Merge folks. According to
> them, they have never encountered the _standard_compaq_internal_tape_drive
> before. (Compaq must have sold thousands of them by now!) So now how does the
> end user do backups? (Not with the 360K floppy if you have at least 15M to
> copy!)
>
> So far, no answer on how it will be fixed...am I really the only one?
                                      ^^^^^

Jim - I can certainly appreciate your desire to fully utilize the computer
equipment you selected for purchase, but I think you are taking great
liberties (perhaps "assuming the proof" of your case) with your use of
the word "fixed."

The "standard compaq tape" is hardly a standard AT device like the WD
hard disk interface, floppy, keyboard, etc.  To say that the operating
system needs to be "fixed" because it doesn't include a feature that
supports a particular non-standard device that you desire is to confuse
optional features with bugs.  It's like saying that UNIX is broken because
it doesn't support the Bernoulli box, or Irwin tapes, or some other
proprietary technology by default.

For backup, I'd suggest you contact one of the 30 or so companies which
are in the business of providing UNIX and/or Xenix tape backup.  With
all due respect to Compaq, they've had continuing problems with their
proprietary tape device because it *is* so different compared to the
relatively standard QIC36/QIC02 60 and 125 MB tape devices used by most
of the above 30 companies.

Regards - Dimitri Rotow

nusip@maccs.McMaster.CA (Mike Borza) (09/25/88)

That reminds me.  Some time ago, somebody was going to dump the contents of
the Bell Tech. controller ROMs and diff them against the Everex ROMs.
Unfortunately, I changed jobs and moved at about that time, and with our
Bell telco strike, my new phone jacks STILL haven't been installed and ...

So, can somebody tell me how the ROMs compared??

mike borza <nusip@maccs.UUCP>

neighorn@qiclab.UUCP (Steve Neighorn) (10/02/88)

In article <1443@maccs.McMaster.CA> nusip@maccs.UUCP (Mike Borza) writes:
>That reminds me.  Some time ago, somebody was going to dump the contents of
>the Bell Tech. controller ROMs and diff them against the Everex ROMs.
>Unfortunately, I changed jobs and moved at about that time, and with our
>Bell telco strike, my new phone jacks STILL haven't been installed and ...
>
>So, can somebody tell me how the ROMs compared??

I can't tell you how the ROM dumps compared, I can tell you my experience
with both controllers:

Under Microport V/386 Release 3.0 : Both the Bell board (which is the
Everex board EXCEPT for the ROM, and the original Everex 831 card
work with a Wangtek 60meg tape drive using the Microport supplied
tape driver software.

Under generic Unix/386 Release 3.1 : Both work with the standard tape driver
that comes with Unix.

My disclaimer: These are my experiences only. and do not represent a large
scientific sample of Unix/tape backup users. Sorry.
--
Steven C. Neighorn            !tektronix!{psu-cs,reed,ogcvax}!qiclab!neighorn
Intel Corporation            "Where we BUILD the Star Fighters that defend the