[comp.unix.microport] TeX has arrived

sandy@turnkey.TCC.COM (Sanford 'Sandy' Zelkovitz) (09/24/88)

The FULL distribution of TeX along with all the contribution files is now
available for downloading. For users that haven't called in awhile,
the full distribution of X-windows 10.4 and X-windows 11.2 can also be found
on the system.

Sanford <sandy> Zelkovitz    XBBS (alphacm)  714-898-8634

P.S. TeX takes MANY megabytes, so be ready for a shock!

steve@eros.ame.arizona.edu (Steve Cannon) (09/25/88)

In article <1908@turnkey.TCC.COM> sandy@turnkey.TCC.COM (Sanford 'Sandy' Zelkovitz) writes:
>The FULL distribution of TeX along with all the contribution files is now
>available for downloading.

Does the machine these sources are on have a uucp address? Also, what exactly
is envolved in downloading these sources (anonymous ftp?) ?

 Steve Cannon   <X> UUCP: ...{allegra,cmc12,hao!noao,att}!arizona!eros!steve
 AME Dept.      <XXXXXXXX> Internet: eros!steve@ARIZONA.EDU
 University of Arizona <X> Bitnet: scannon@arizrvax
 Tucson, AZ 85721      <X> Phone: +1 602 621 6091

james@bigtex.uucp (James Van Artsdalen) (09/26/88)

You can ftp TeX from uunet.uu.net or from labrea.stanford.edu.  For
those with unlimited phone budgets, it is possible to uucp TeX from
bigtex: I figure that with a TB+ it will take about 8 hours.  I can
also make tapes (60meg DC-600A).
--
James R. Van Artsdalen	...!uunet!utastro!bigtex!james	"Live Free or Die"
Phone: 512-346-2444		  10926 Jollyville Rd #901 Austin TX 78759

michiel@cadlab1.UUCP (michiel betel) (09/26/88)

In article <829@amethyst.ma.arizona.edu> steve@eros.UUCP (Steve Cannon) writes:
>In article <1908@turnkey.TCC.COM> sandy@turnkey.TCC.COM (Sanford 'Sandy' Zelkovitz) writes:
>>The FULL distribution of TeX along with all the contribution files is now
>>available for downloading.
>
>Does the machine these sources are on have a uucp address? Also, what exactly
>is envolved in downloading these sources (anonymous ftp?) ?

Also, is bibtex included, that's what i haven't got yet, and what printer
drivers are available?

Michiel Betel		| Stichting CadLab Amsterdam
..mcvax!cadlab1!michiel | Animating the world

sandy@turnkey.TCC.COM (Sanford 'Sandy' Zelkovitz) (09/26/88)

In article <829@amethyst.ma.arizona.edu>, steve@eros.ame.arizona.edu (Steve Cannon) writes:
> >The FULL distribution of TeX along with all the contribution files is now
> >available for downloading.
>
> Does the machine these sources are on have a uucp address? Also, what exactly

The direct way of calling my system is going through the bbs. At the login
prompt, type bbs and you will be running under the bbs software. If you
prefer uucp access, login as nuucp with no password. I strongly suggest
the you log in first through the bbs software so that you can get the full
path names of the files for a uucp request. When you are in the bbs, you have
the following file protocol options: xmodem-crc, xmodem-checksum, ymodem,
ymodem-batch, zmodem, SEAlink, kermit (with the slidding windows option), and
plaine old ASCII.

The telephone number of the system is 714-898-8634

UUCP: !att!hermix!alphacm!sandy
      !uunet!ccicpg!turnkey!alphacm!sandy
      !ucbvax!ucivax!icnvax!alphacm!sandy    <----- not too reliable
      !trwrb!ucla-an!alphacm!sandy

I hope that this helps,
Sanford <sandy> Zelkovitz

scotty@l5comp.UUCP (Scott Turner) (09/26/88)

In article <1908@turnkey.TCC.COM> sandy@turnkey.TCC.COM (Sanford 'Sandy' Zelkovitz) writes:
>Sanford <sandy> Zelkovitz    XBBS (alphacm)  714-898-8634
>
>P.S. TeX takes MANY megabytes, so be ready for a shock!

The shock is that even though you get 90 minutes a day and can download as
soon as you sign up, you only get 500K of downloads per day.

And if the TeX is anything like the X10R4 things are even worse. X10R4 is
cut up into 350,000 byte chunks, so you can only grab 350,000 bytes a day!

Last time I looked on uunet TeX was REAL big, might take well into 2 months
to download at 350,000 bytes a day.

Anyone else out there have X10R4 sources online? (The first 350,000 bytes
were REAL nice, I don't think I can wait 10 days :)

Scott Turner
scotty@l5comp -or- uunet!l5comp!scotty

"Ve hafe vays to make you talk! 350,000 bytes per day aught to sofen you
up!"

james@bigtex.uucp (James Van Artsdalen) (10/01/88)

In article <8502@bigtex.uucp>, james@bigtex.uucp (me) wrote:
> [...]  I can also make tapes (60meg DC-600A).

Just after posting this I moved the computer, and the tape drive
broke.  The offer to make tapes of this still stands, but it will
probably be a couple of weeks before Bell Technology gets the drive
back to me.  In the meantime I'll just save the requests and send out
mail when I've got the tape drive back.  In addition to TeX, I can
put a copy of the latest GNU stuff on the tape too.   The TB+ archive
is still active for those who want to download things.

The way this will work is that you will send me a tape and return
postage, preferrably in the form of an already-filled out Federal
Express slip.  If you want to send money instead, I'll have to find
out how much shipping costs for the tapes.

PS. everyone send Bell Tech mail about how important it is to get my
    tape drive back quickly :-).
--
James R. Van Artsdalen   ...!uunet!utastro!bigtex!james   "Live Free or Die"
Home: 512-346-2444 Work: 338-8789   10926 Jollyville Rd #901 Austin TX 78759

sandy@turnkey.TCC.COM (Sanford 'Sandy' Zelkovitz) (10/04/88)

In article <234@cadlab1.UUCP>, michiel@cadlab1.UUCP (michiel betel) writes:
> In article <829@amethyst.ma.arizona.edu> steve@eros.UUCP (Steve Cannon) writes:
> Also, is bibtex included, that's what i haven't got yet, and what printer
> drivers are available?
>
> Michiel Betel		| Stichting CadLab Amsterdam

Yes, Michael, bibtex is included.

Sanford <sandy> Zelkovitz        XBBS     714-898-8634

beihl@cadillac.CAD.MCC.COM (Gary Beihl) (10/06/88)

I would strongly suspect that the version of TeX available
from Sandy's BBS will not work on 286 machines due to the
64k segment limitation.  I ported TeX to Sys V/AT over a
year ago and recently upgraded it to version 2.93 (current).
This was done on the way to an eventual MSDOS version, which
I've been distributing since the start of the year.  If
there is sufficient interest, I'd be willing to distribute
the Sys V/AT version binaries as well. Those interested
may e-mail me at the following address.

Gary Beihl (beihl@mcc.com)

--
Gary Beihl