[comp.unix.microport] SysV/AT awk problem: Usenet stats script

" Maynard) (09/20/88)

Has anyone out there gotten Erik Fair's Usenet stats awk script to run
under Microport System V/AT? I'm running 2.3.0, and when I try it, I
get:
awk: out of space in tostring on moray
 record number 1

I'm not an awk guru, so that message is somewhat less than enlightening.
I'll rip into it myself if necessary, but don't really know where to
start looking.

Thanks...
--
Jay Maynard, EMT-P, K5ZC...>splut!< | Never ascribe to malice that which can
uucp:       uunet!nuchat!           | adequately be explained by stupidity.

paul@cgh.UUCP (Paul Homchick) (10/04/88)

In article <706@splut.UUCP> jay@splut.UUCP (Jay Maynard) writes:

>Has anyone out there gotten Erik Fair's Usenet stats awk script to run
>under Microport System V/AT? I'm running 2.3.0, and when I try it, I
>get:
>awk: out of space in tostring on moray
> record number 1

This means that awk has run out of space.  This is not surprising, as
the System V/AT awk is complied as a small model program, and only
has 64K of data.  It evidently was too much trouble to fix the pointer
references, etc in awk to get it complied as a large model program.
--
Paul Homchick              UUCP:  {allegra | rutgers | uunet} !cbmvax!cgh!paul
Chimitt Gilman Homchick, Inc.; One Radnor Station, Suite 300; Radnor, PA 19087

jantypas@ucrmath.UUCP (John Antypas) (10/04/88)

>This means that awk has run out of space.  This is not surprising, as
>the System V/AT awk is complied as a small model program, and only
>has 64K of data.  It evidently was too much trouble to fix the pointer
>references, etc in awk to get it complied as a large model program.

Has anyone been able to get Larry Wall's perl to run on Sys V/AT
to replace the awk that can't.  I try cc perl and get

Fatal Error -117

chip@vector.UUCP (Chip Rosenthal) (10/05/88)

In article <758@cgh.UUCP> paul@cgh.UUCP (Paul Homchick) writes:
>In article <706@splut.UUCP> jay@splut.UUCP (Jay Maynard) writes:
>>Has anyone out there gotten Erik Fair's Usenet stats awk script to run
>>under Microport System V/AT?
>This means that awk has run out of space.

Yeah...same thing happens on SCO XENIX.  I've pared down Erik's script
to the most interesting stuff, and I'd be glad to mail out a copy if
interested.  For example, I've thrown out the "bad newsgroups received"
list, which is huge to the point of worthlessness on a site which doesn't
have a full news feed, like me.
--
Chip Rosenthal     chip@vector.UUCP | I've been a wizard since my childhood.
Dallas Semiconductor   214-450-0486 | And I've earned some respect for my art.

tkevans@fallst.UUCP (Tim Evans) (10/09/88)

In article <602@vector.UUCP>, chip@vector.UUCP (Chip Rosenthal) writes:
> In article <758@cgh.UUCP> paul@cgh.UUCP (Paul Homchick) writes:
> >In article <706@splut.UUCP> jay@splut.UUCP (Jay Maynard) writes:
> >>Has anyone out there gotten Erik Fair's Usenet stats awk script to run
> >>under Microport System V/AT?
>
> Yeah...same thing happens on SCO XENIX.

Don't know about Xenix, but the 8/31/86 Eric Fair script works just fine
on my SysV/AT, with the very minor exception of dropping the first
character of the entries on bad news groups received (i.e.,
"comp.unix.microporti" becomes "omp.unix.microport".

I'm running SysV/AT, version 2.2L--a pretty old one.  If anyone wants
a copy of the awk script I have, please send mail.

--
UUCP:  ...!{rutgers|ames|uunet}!mimsy!aplcen!wb3ffv!fallst!tkevans
OTHER: ...!attmail!fallst!tkevans

domo@riddle.UUCP (Dominic Dunlop) (10/11/88)

In article <602@vector.UUCP> chip@vector.UUCP (Chip Rosenthal) writes:
>In article <758@cgh.UUCP> paul@cgh.UUCP (Paul Homchick) writes:
>>This means that awk has run out of space [because it's a small model
>>program on Microport UNIX].
>
>Yeah...same thing happens on SCO XENIX.

A quick  hdr /bin/awk  on Xenix 2.2.3 for the 80386 reveals that it's a
small model 8086 program.  Maybe the new release, 2.3, delivers more
native 80386 binaries for utilities.  Would anybody from SCO care to
comment?  I must get 2.3 out of the box and install it...
--
Dominic Dunlop
domo@sphinx.co.uk  domo@riddle.uucp