[comp.unix.microport] xbbs

sandy@conexch.UUCP (Sandford Zelkovitz) (02/27/88)

There are been MANY inquires coming to me via uucp from ALL OVER THE WORLD
concerning how to get the source code to XBBS. Since the code would be TOO
massive to post through comp.sources.unix, I would strongly suggest just
calling my system at 714-828-0288 ( 4 line rotary ) and just logging in as
bbs. The code is available for downloading. If you wish to request the
code via uucp, just login as as nuucp ( no password ) and requesting the
following file: /user/bbsfiles/bbssoftware/ALLbbs.tar.Z. Please remember that
this is a 16 bit compressed tar file and is around 350K in size. It will
uncompress to nearly 3/4 of a megabyte.

If you call in as "bbs", you may want to wonder around at the different
message bases and file bases. ( There is over 30 megabytes of Unix/Xenix
files available ).

Sandy

            .........!ihnp4!hermix!alphacm!{sandy|root}
             ........!ucbvax!ucivax!mickey!{sandy|root}
            .........!sco!hermix!alphacm!{sandy|root}
            .........!uunet!turnkey!alphacm!{sandy|root}

Sanford Zelkovitz

lester@ka3adu.UUCP (lester) (10/03/88)

Can anyone give me an assist in getting xbbs to compile under Microport/286
version 2.3
I have version 7.20 directly from Sandy Z's system with, locking.h, and
dirent.h. My problem is that when it compiles I get undefined symbols;
opendir, readdir, and closedir in 'bbscconf.c'
Any help would be appreciated.
Also, can anyone pass along some phone numbers of a system running xbbs on
uport/286 ???
					Thanks, Bob
					uunet!wa3wbu!ka3adu!lester

jfh@rpp386.Dallas.TX.US (The Beach Bum) (10/04/88)

In article <470@ka3adu.UUCP> lester@ka3adu.UUCP (lester) writes:
>Can anyone give me an assist in getting xbbs to compile under Microport/286
>version 2.3
>I have version 7.20 directly from Sandy Z's system with, locking.h, and
>dirent.h. My problem is that when it compiles I get undefined symbols;
>opendir, readdir, and closedir in 'bbscconf.c'

You need some manner of directory access routines such as what Berkeley
UNIX has.  SCO Xenix includes these as standards, Microbug requires you to
get your own.  Fortunately Doug Gwyn posted a set of portable directory
routines which should help you out.  Check your nearest comp.sources.unix
archive site for those files.
--
John F. Haugh II (jfh@rpp386.Dallas.TX.US)                   HASA, "S" Division

      "Why waste negative entropy on comments, when you could use the same
                   entropy to create bugs instead?" -- Steve Elias

sandy@turnkey.TCC.COM (Sanford 'Sandy' Zelkovitz) (10/04/88)

In article <470@ka3adu.UUCP>, lester@ka3adu.UUCP (lester) writes:
> Can anyone give me an assist in getting xbbs to compile under Microport/286
> version 2.3
> I have version 7.20 directly from Sandy Z's system with, locking.h, and
> dirent.h. My problem is that when it compiles I get undefined symbols;
> opendir, readdir, and closedir in 'bbscconf.c'
> Any help would be appreciated.

Bob,

On some SysV systems, you must use the -ldirent option during linking.
Unfortunately, I do not know if this is true of Microport System V/AT.
The worse that can happen is that it won't work.

Sanford <sandy> Zelkovitz

bhj@bhjat.UUCP (Burt Janz) (10/08/88)

>In article <470@ka3adu.UUCP> lester@ka3adu.UUCP (lester) writes:
>>Can anyone give me an assist in getting xbbs to compile under Microport/286
>>version 2.3
>>I have version 7.20 directly from Sandy Z's system with, locking.h, and
>>dirent.h. My problem is that when it compiles I get undefined symbols;
>>opendir, readdir, and closedir in 'bbscconf.c'
>
>You need some manner of directory access routines such as what Berkeley
>UNIX has.  SCO Xenix includes these as standards, Microbug requires you to
>get your own.  Fortunately Doug Gwyn posted a set of portable directory
>routines which should help you out.  Check your nearest comp.sources.unix
>archive site for those files.
>--
>John F. Haugh II (jfh@rpp386.Dallas.TX.US)                   HASA, "S" Division

/* flame on */

Ok.  That's enough.  It AIN'T MicroPORT's problem.  And, what are "Xenix
...standards..."?  Which Xenix?  Version number?  Manufacturer?  Processor
type?

And, you'd think by now that most reasonable people on the net would have read
that most of the bugs which Microport suffers are NOT their fault, but the fault
of the programmers (?) at ATT (or is it Interactive Systems?) who created the
386 kernel anyway!

(At least I call them Microsoft, not Microflabby!... and SCO, not SuckyO)

/* flame off */

SV/AT is based on System V.2, and does NOT contain the directory routines.
SV/386 is based on System V.3.  It DOES contain the directory routines.

I'm not sure, but I'd guess that these are System V standards... I've seen
reference to the use of directory functions in code which references System V.3
as "USG" in the Makefile.  And, this code was send in comp.unix.sources.

BTW, Doug Gwyn's routines work just fine on SV/AT.  I've used 'em.
Thanks, Doug!

Burt Janz
..decvax!bhjat!bhj

mludwig@lehi3b15.UUCP (Mitchell Ludwig ) (10/12/88)

Can anyone give me the address of a site where I can get the XBBS
from?  Preferrably an anonymous ftp site...  Otherwise, is there anyone
out there who would feel like beaming me the darn thing... (GAD!!)

	Mitch

lehi3b15!mludwig
lehi3b15!rastro!mfl
kmfludw@vax1.cc.lehigh.edu

sandy@turnkey.TCC.COM (Sanford 'Sandy' Zelkovitz) (10/14/88)

In article <425@lehi3b15.UUCP>, mludwig@lehi3b15.UUCP (Mitchell Ludwig ) writes:
> Can anyone give me the address of a site where I can get the XBBS
> from?  Preferrably an anonymous ftp site...  Otherwise, is there anyone
> out there who would feel like beaming me the darn thing... (GAD!!)
>
> 	Mitch

Mitch,

You can get it from the source. The telephone number of the system is
714-898-8634.

Sanford <sandy> Zelkovitz     XBBS     714-898-8634

        .........!att!hermix!alphacm!sandy
        .........!trwrb!ucla-an!alphacm!sandy
        .........!uunet!ccicpg!turnkey!alphacm!sandy